Pants or Nice Shorts for husband in restaurants?

Noreen411

Obviously by now you've received your answer and understand most everything. I'll add my personal experience with shorts in Luminae on our first night. We boarded mid afternoon directly from our plane, I had worn nice shorts on the plane and once on board we walked around the ship, went to our cabin and unpacked then went to the muster drill. After that we decided to go to Luminae for a early dinner. I was still in my shorts and had completely forgotten about changing. We had a great table, excellent service and chatted with several of the staff getting to know one another on that first night. As we left, the maître d' quietly pulled me aside and said for future nights she'd appreciate me wearing long pants to dinner. She did it very professionally and I doubt anyone even noticed or knew what she was telling me, but I felt very bad. I knew the expectations and I had completely forgotten to change. I apologized right there, and again the next night when we came I made light of my long pants she quickly said it was no problem the night before, but I still felt bad about it. Now, even though I know I could probably eat in shorts on the first night, I don't because I don't want to be reminded of the dress code for future nights.

Enjoy your cruise and all the extras that come along with the RS! You'll have a great time.

Hi

This will be our first cruise on Celebrity. We normally cruise Royal Caribbean.

We have booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity Reflection so will be eating in either Luminae or Specialty Restaurants

I see online it states the dress code as men needing to wear pants for dinner. This is similar to what it said on Royal Caribbean’s website as well.

I’m looking for what people actually do.

We were on Anthem recently in a Grand Suite so ate mainly in Coastal Kitchen (similar to Luminae) and I was surprised to see many people in shorts and T Shirts. Often not even nice shorts.

What other people wear doesn’t impact my enjoyment, but if people are more casual than the website states, I would rather know in advance.

We were on Anthem right after you. Men were wearing baseball caps during dinner in Coastal Kitchen. I thought that was considered bad manners, but I guess I was wrong. :o

I think you will really enjoy Celebrity.

On our last cruise, after a long day, we wandered into Luminae and we forgot about the dress code. The assistant maitre'd softly whispered to us that shorts were not allowed. We were so embarrassed because we had forgotten after a hectic day. We went back for a quick change and headed back to Luminae.

On our last Celebrity Cruise, my husband forgot he was wearing shorts until we got down to the MDR. He mentioned it to me and asked if we should delay our arrival to dinner in order to run back upstairs for him to change. I said it was probably "no big deal" and since we had the later dinner seating no one would care. WRONG! The Maitre D stopped us as we walked in to remind us that long pants were required at dinner and asked us to go upstairs to change. He was super nice about it and we were nice back to him, so no hard feelings from us. It was honestly no big deal at all, but we were denied entry into the MDR for my husband's shorts - YMMV.

As an aside - they were dress shorts and he was wearing a collared shirt; he was asked to change into long pants anyway.

Happy that celebrity has some dress standards unlike rccl, looking forward to Luminae this Saturday on summit.

What about men's shoes? Nice pants and shirt but what about expensive sandals with that? Or do your toes have do be covered?

Agree with Don.

We book AQ and eat our meals in Blu and the sight of jeans in Blu is commonplace. Shorts worn during breaksfat is fine, but not during dinner. We saw two groups that had men wearing shorts stopped by the Maitre D and asked to change to long pants.

We were on Anthem right after you. Men were wearing baseball caps during dinner in Coastal Kitchen. I thought that was considered bad manners, but I guess I was wrong. :o

I think you will really enjoy Celebrity.

Agree we do like rccl and last 6 cruises we had a grand suite, but really do not think shorts and baseball caps belong in any restaurant or lounge at dinner time, rccl had standards about 10 years ago but no longer. Also to change subject really like getting luggage tags in mail which is another thing rccl no longer does.

You will rarely see jeans worn in dining rooms at dinner,either sex. Same during day. Usually too hot for them .

We saw jeans by men and women being worn every night in the MDR on our past November cruise, one lady even wore completely ripped white jeans and had no problem

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but can women wear nice capris with a dressy top to dinner?

Beginning a comment with words like: "Not meaning to hijack the thread...." is not necessarily toi best way to open a comment.

Hi

We have booked a Royal Suite on Celebrity Reflection so will be eating in either Luminae or Specialty Restaurants

I see online it states the dress code as men needing to wear pants for dinner. This is similar to what it said on Royal Caribbean’s website as well.

We were on Anthem recently in a Grand Suite so ate mainly in Coastal Kitchen (similar to Luminae) and I was surprised to see many people in shorts and T Shirts. Often not even nice shorts.

What other people wear doesn’t impact my enjoyment, but if people are more casual than the website states, I would rather know in advance.

If my husband can wear his nice shorts and a button down top to dinner, he’ll be happier than wearing pants. But he’ll wear whatever he’s supposed to.

Let me know what your experience has been. Are some restaurants more formal than others?

Thank you

Noreen

Hello,

You husband should definitely wear long pants for dinner. Lunch and breakfast short ok. If you prefer, consider dining in buffet or cabin if he will only wear shorts to dinner.

I think most cruise lines want their customers to be comfortable and happy and return. We were on the Radiance of the Seas in July with a large family group. On one particular casual night in the dining room, in our group, Grandpa wore his political baseball cap, the little boys were in shorts and polos, the men were in jeans or khakis, the women were in pants or skirts and sandals, and the teenage boy was sent back to the room by the greeters at the door to change his shirt into something with sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

If my husband can wear his nice shorts and a button down top to dinner, he’ll be happier than wearing pants. But he’ll wear whatever he’s supposed to.

Let me know what your experience has been. Are some restaurants more formal than others?

Thank you

Noreen

No shorts in any dining venue for dinner, with the possible exception of OVC.

I asked about wearing Bermuda Shorts for dining on my cruise there and was told no, not going to work... I said, even with the traditional jacket and tie?

While it brought a smile to the agents face, the answer was still no and I understood... I will wear them to breakfast and lunch! :D

bon voayge

Although I have not cruised on Celebrity, I can say that what cruiser should wear into the dining rooms and what some of them actually wear can be very different. Other than breakfast or lunch, men are supposed to wear trousers, not shorts. In everything I have read recently, more & more cruisers are getting upset by the lack of the enforcing of any kind of dress code. While I do not want to be forced to bring cocktail dresses or gowns for any "formal" night, I always wear nice pants (although sometimes those are very nice jeans i.e. no holes, rips or fading) and a nice top and I don't believe a man should be forced to wear a tie or jacket.

Just my opinion here.

Patti

Although I have not cruised on Celebrity, I can say that what cruiser should wear into the dining rooms and what some of them actually wear can be very different. Other than breakfast or lunch, men are supposed to wear trousers, not shorts. In everything I have read recently, more & more cruisers are getting upset by the lack of the enforcing of any kind of dress code. While I do not want to be forced to bring cocktail dresses or gowns for any "formal" night, I always wear nice pants (although sometimes those are very nice jeans i.e. no holes, rips or fading) and a nice top and I don't believe a man should be forced to wear a tie or jacket.

Just my opinion here.

Patti

Evening Chic on Celebrity doesn't require men to wear a tie and jacket. They may, but not required.

I don't get why some don't read Celebrity's published dress guidelines. In our opinion there are plenty of options.

dk - you know why! LOL easier to get incorrect info here, possibly and when on-board one can say 'on criescritic they said we can'....

There are plenty of options, clearly, as you note, at X's website.

bon voyage

I was just on the Eclipse in December 2017 and saw no men wearing shorts at any time during dinner - MDR or Specialty restaurants. So I would suggest that your hubby choose either dress jeans, slacks or casual pants if he doesn't want something more "formal"

Shorts are great during breakfast and lunch.

I saw the buffett enforcing the no swim wear several times during lunch service.

I think the relaxed dress code has something for everyone - I remember a time when we could not wear jeans to dinner.