What do you get in the Grills to make it worth the price?

Lanky Lad

Can you elaborate, please?

On QV and QE, there are two exclusive areas outside; the whole of deck 12 where you can be supplied with water, juice and sun cream.

There is also the smaller deck outside the Grill Lounge. This deck was once open to all, but too many people were sticking their noses against the lounge window to see what they were misding..

On both decks, the loungers have the thick cushions, and there's never a shortage.

Stewart

Thank you, Stewart. Coming from Florida, we have enough of the sun here, so the absence of private sun decks is of no matter. Are the cabins the same size on the QM2?

Q5's and Q6's on QM2 are almost identical to Q4's on QV and QE.

If a standard balcony cabin is one module, these cabins are two modules.

A few years ago, on QV, they swapped Q5's and 6's for Q4's and vice versa.

QE followed suit.

We like the stern cabins, so it suited us as they became cheaper.

On QM2, Q4's are three modules and almost as big as the Q2's on QV and QE.

The others are all different and cannot be compared.

Phew! I hope that makes sense.

Stewart

Oh, there are many reasons why my husband and I cobble together our money each year to be able to travel in Queen's Grill (our 10th is coming up soon). As many say, it's a matter of perception, but for us, still working very hard each and every day, it's the ultimate vacation. Here's what makes it so special for us:

1) The size of the room. Plenty of space for both of us. We do enjoy spending time in our room, so this is important to us. The bathroom (two separate compartments) is great too. As is the curtain that separates the seating area from the bedroom area. More about that in a bit.

2) The size of the balcony. It's enormous, and we love to sit outside. The best part for us, though, is having the room to set up two chairs/ottomans, with pillows and blankets, and take a daily "balcony nap." One of the highlights of our relaxing vacation.

3) The butler. Amazing service. Too much to say in a single post. Favorite part of the butler service is closing the curtain (see above) and having the butler gently knock at the door before letting himself in in the morning, and hearing the quiet tinkle of china and silverware as he beautiful sets up breakfast for us to enjoy upon rising. He always stocks the fridge with exactly what we want, including unlimited wine.

4) Pre-dinner appetizers. So nice to anticipate and enjoy with a cocktail on the balcony while getting ready for dinner.

5) No fixed time for dinner. How incredible is it to simply have dinner when you feel like it? Hungry early? Go at 6:30. Out late and want to catch an afternoon nap? Go at 8:30.

6) Also not enough time to sing the praises of the QG dining experience. As others have noted, it's beyond compare. Consistently superb.

7) A la carte menu. Wow. Why bother even looking at the regular menu? The offerings are amazing. And should you want something other than what's on the regular menu or the a la carte menu, they are more than happy to make it for you! The QG kitchen is top-notch.

8) Al fresco dining. On QV and QE, there is a wonderful spot to enjoy dining outside. Fabulous! A little bit of heaven on top of a lot of heavenly experiences.

9) Lunch on embarkation day. How civil. You start your voyage with a wonderful lunch and a glass of wine...anticipating all that will await on your vacation. No lines. Peaceful elegance.

10) Queen's Grill lounge. A beautiful place to enjoy afternoon tea in an unhurried and unfrazzled atmosphere. And a great place to just chill.

11) The QG deck. Wow! What a place to relax and enjoy the sun!

12) Early boarding. We can step foot in the terminal and be enjoying lunch in the QG dining room in the span of 15 minutes.

Each item mentioned above would not be enough for us to spend the money on a QG ticket. But put them altogether, and it's how we want to spend our vacation dollars. Different strokes for different folks, but for us, it's the most magical way to travel.

Does the PG also enjoy early boarding?

Yes.

They do try to segregate, so it should be QG, followed by PG, followed by Diamond and Platinum.

However, people being people mean that some folks manage to get up to the front rather than wait for their rightful place.

Ballater: Beautifully documented. You may have convinced me to give QG a try! Especially on the QMII where one gets the splendid beauty of the interior design of the big public rooms.

Oh, there are many reasons why my husband and I cobble together our money each year to be able to travel in Queen's Grill (our 10th is coming up soon). As many say, it's a matter of perception, but for us, still working very hard each and every day, it's the ultimate vacation. Here's what makes it so special for us:

1) The size of the room. Plenty of space for both of us. We do enjoy spending time in our room, so this is important to us. The bathroom (two separate compartments) is great too. As is the curtain that separates the seating area from the bedroom area. More about that in a bit.

2) The size of the balcony. It's enormous, and we love to sit outside. The best part for us, though, is having the room to set up two chairs/ottomans, with pillows and blankets, and take a daily "balcony nap." One of the highlights of our relaxing vacation.

3) The butler. Amazing service. Too much to say in a single post. Favorite part of the butler service is closing the curtain (see above) and having the butler gently knock at the door before letting himself in in the morning, and hearing the quiet tinkle of china and silverware as he beautiful sets up breakfast for us to enjoy upon rising. He always stocks the fridge with exactly what we want, including unlimited wine.

4) Pre-dinner appetizers. So nice to anticipate and enjoy with a cocktail on the balcony while getting ready for dinner.

5) No fixed time for dinner. How incredible is it to simply have dinner when you feel like it? Hungry early? Go at 6:30. Out late and want to catch an afternoon nap? Go at 8:30.

6) Also not enough time to sing the praises of the QG dining experience. As others have noted, it's beyond compare. Consistently superb.

7) A la carte menu. Wow. Why bother even looking at the regular menu? The offerings are amazing. And should you want something other than what's on the regular menu or the a la carte menu, they are more than happy to make it for you! The QG kitchen is top-notch.

8) Al fresco dining. On QV and QE, there is a wonderful spot to enjoy dining outside. Fabulous! A little bit of heaven on top of a lot of heavenly experiences.

9) Lunch on embarkation day. How civil. You start your voyage with a wonderful lunch and a glass of wine...anticipating all that will await on your vacation. No lines. Peaceful elegance.

10) Queen's Grill lounge. A beautiful place to enjoy afternoon tea in an unhurried and unfrazzled atmosphere. And a great place to just chill.

11) The QG deck. Wow! What a place to relax and enjoy the sun!

12) Early boarding. We can step foot in the terminal and be enjoying lunch in the QG dining room in the span of 15 minutes.

Each item mentioned above would not be enough for us to spend the money on a QG ticket. But put them altogether, and it's how we want to spend our vacation dollars. Different strokes for different folks, but for us, it's the most magical way to travel.

You have painted a wonderful picture. So looking forward to our first Cunard cruise in November. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

The ship is the attraction for us, Theatre , Queens Room, Illuminations,Connections, Golden Lion, Commodore Club,Sailaways and much more. All open to all passengers.

So are the Grills good value? Not for us, but please keep booking them folks, I'm sure they subsidise the steeragers.

David.

The ship is the attraction for us, Theatre , Queens Room, Illuminations,Connections, Golden Lion, Commodore Club,Sailaways and much more. All open to all passengers.

So are the Grills good value? Not for us, but please keep booking them folks, I'm sure they subsidise the steeragers.

David.

Glad to do my part! :)

Love the banter on the value of Queens Grill - Still wondering how many of the pax actually live like that at home and how many are "aspirational" bookers as was defined earlier? From reading the thread I would say 99% are "aspirational" but then I would not expect many of the 1% to be on line for such trivia.

Maybe you should define "aspirational." It has sort of a negative ring to me. Am I paying QG fares to feel like a big shot? No. Am I trying to see how rich people live? No. Do I have a butler at home? No. Does a staff make my dinner and serve me? No. Do I have twice-daily maid service? No, not even once-daily.

All but the butler (who is really a steward in a tux) are available to all passengers.

In QG, I enjoy most the large cabin, the restaurant, and the lack of waiting.

When I vacation, I usually try to have an experience that is above and beyond how I live everyday at home. For me, having one exceptional holiday experience is more important that having several forgettable experiences, albeit within the bounds of what I can afford and what I think is good value for money.

I don't "aspire" to be anything but satisfied with my holiday.

Castlewood and Commodoredave, I wish there was a like button for your posts. I don't really understand why people are wondering whether people in Grills are "aspirational", surely if you're there, you're there and not aspiring to be there?

The reason we book suites is we love the extra space and the big balcony, we are on our first Cunard cruise later this year and I'm very much looking forward to it. [emoji4]

Castlewood and Commodoredave, I wish there was a like button for your posts. I don't really understand why people are wondering whether people in Grills are "aspirational", surely if you're there, you're there and not aspiring to be there?

The reason we book suites is we love the extra space and the big balcony, we are on our first Cunard cruise later this year and I'm very much looking forward to it. [emoji4]

Thanks. I have been "aspiring" for some time to get a "like" for one of my posts!:D

Thanks. I have been "aspiring" for some time to get a "like" for one of my posts!:D

You know Dave I "like" your posts over at SeaDream. We also "aspire" to large suites on mass market ships. To me mass market is over 1,000 passengers. With QM2 increasing the passenger load at the next refit at the expense of some public spaces will make the privacy of the large suite even more necessary.:eek::D

Edited by Jim Avery

Called Cunard today to ask about the QG personalised stationery; turns out it's personalised with the word 'Cunard'.

I though that was a bit disingenuous of them, so thought I'd cheer myself up and get the locator code for the flight so I could check in online; turns out it's a charter and you can't check in online or choose your seats.

This QG cruising is going to be tougher that I thought :D

Called Cunard today to ask about the QG personalised stationery; turns out it's personalised with the word 'Cunard'.

I though that was a bit disingenuous of them, so thought I'd cheer myself up and get the locator code for the flight so I could check in online; turns out it's a charter and you can't check in online or choose your seats.

The QG stationery is personalised with whatever you request. A form is left for you to complete and the stationery delivered in a day or two, printed with whatever you put on the form.

You know Dave I "like" your posts over at SeaDream. We also "aspire" to large suites on mass market ships. To me mass market is over 1,000 passengers. With QM2 increasing the passenger load at the next refit at the expense of some public spaces will make the privacy of the large suite even more necessary.:eek::D

Thanks Jim. With two "likes" in one day, I am now "aspiring" to a glass of wine with lunch. :D

My Cunard charter flights have been pretty good, although Rome flight was once delayed - best to get an airport lounge organised.