NEW Stateroom Direct Service

planobob

From an email received this morning - "Mariner Society News":

"Enhancing Embarkation: NEW Stateroom

Direct Service

When Holland America Line Hotel Manager Rene Tuinman, presented his staff aboard the ms Volendam with a challenge – How can we improve our guests' first cruise day? – they took him very seriously.

Their solution has come to be known as Holland America Line's new Stateroom Direct Service. With new operational efficiencies, all Holland America Line ships will have guests' staterooms ready for them as early as 11:30am, allowing embarking guests to settle comfortably and quickly in their staterooms as soon as they board. As Tuinman explains, this was no small effort for the crew.

"We realized that we needed to adjust schedules, without asking staff to work longer hours," says Tuinman. "It became obvious that preparation and manpower were the keys."

Tuinman and his team made efforts to ensure all supplies were on hand and ready so no time would be wasted. The entire crew was empowered to help in preparations and pitch in, allowing housekeeping staff to focus exclusively on preparing staterooms.

"There was a period of trial and error, during which we made improvements," says Tuinman "but it was a team effort all the way – and a great improvement in service and guest satisfaction."

"Now our guests really can begin their cruise as soon as they board," says Tuinman. "They settle comfortably into their staterooms leaving their carry-on luggage behind, move around an uncrowded ship and enjoy lunch in a relaxed atmosphere.

"Guests have been appreciative," adds Tuinman. "It's very gratifying to have found a way to enhance our guests' first cruise-day experience. It's unique to Holland America Line, and we're very proud and happy to offer it."

This new service will be available on all ships by the end of February".

Bob

From an email received this morning - "Mariner Society News":

"Enhancing Embarkation: NEW Stateroom

Direct Service

When Holland America Line Hotel Manager Rene Tuinman, presented his staff aboard the ms Volendam with a challenge – How can we improve our guests' first cruise day? – they took him very seriously.

Their solution has come to be known as Holland America Line's new Stateroom Direct Service. With new operational efficiencies, all Holland America Line ships will have guests' staterooms ready for them as early as 11:30am, allowing embarking guests to settle comfortably and quickly in their staterooms as soon as they board. As Tuinman explains, this was no small effort for the crew.

"We realized that we needed to adjust schedules, without asking staff to work longer hours," says Tuinman. "It became obvious that preparation and manpower were the keys."

Tuinman and his team made efforts to ensure all supplies were on hand and ready so no time would be wasted. The entire crew was empowered to help in preparations and pitch in, allowing housekeeping staff to focus exclusively on preparing staterooms.

"There was a period of trial and error, during which we made improvements," says Tuinman "but it was a team effort all the way – and a great improvement in service and guest satisfaction."

"Now our guests really can begin their cruise as soon as they board," says Tuinman. "They settle comfortably into their staterooms leaving their carry-on luggage behind, move around an uncrowded ship and enjoy lunch in a relaxed atmosphere.

"Guests have been appreciative," adds Tuinman. "It's very gratifying to have found a way to enhance our guests' first cruise-day experience. It's unique to Holland America Line, and we're very proud and happy to offer it."

This new service will be available on all ships by the end of February".

Bob

Hi Bob: Interesting news items. Too bad I have to go to CC to get it. I haven't received Mariner News or Magazine for a couple of years. Am beginning to wonder if 3 Star Canadian Mariners don't count??? :rolleyes: Perhaps DBA will have an answer.

Hi Bob: Interesting news items. Too bad I have to go to CC to get it. I haven't received Mariner News or Magazine for a couple of years. Am beginning to wonder if 3 Star Canadian Mariners don't count??? :rolleyes: Perhaps DBA will have an answer.

just give the mariner society a call or an email and they will make sure you are back on the list:):):)

Frankly, I am not sure that the new service will be entirely without trade offs. I was on the Westerdam 2/4 - 2/11 and staterooms were ready at 11:30, our bags arrived shortly thereafter. Kudos for this. But .... When we signed up for luggage direct we were told that we had to leave the ship between 7:15 and 8:00 to take advantage of the service ... That makes no sense for anything except to encourage many more of us to leave the ship very early rather than at our convenience to enable staff to get the cabins ready.

The real question is ... Is the cruise experience better when it begins with cabin access, or ends at our leisure? Different folks will clearly have thoughts on this.

Just received the email and was about to post it here and saw that somebody else was quicker.

It will be nice to not have to tote the carry-on luggage to lunch but, as with most things, it is a trade-off at the other end. We are usually ready to go by 8:00 AM anyway, so there is no problem with taking a book with me and reading in a public area until we can disembark.

This should relieve some of the congestion in the Lido area on the first day as many of those just sitting around have finished eating and are just waiting for cabins. Now they will leave and make room for those who haven't eaten yet.

I would recommend calling the Mariner Society and asking.

Not sure about the "News" but the Magazine is available in digital format on the website if you aren't getting the physical version

Notified in the nick of time (Sail date March 4 aboard the Maasdam). Appears that I will have to return to the HAL site and print a couple of luggage tags for the carry on baggage . . . . and perhaps even for small handy - dandy bag to tote a couple of bottles of wine???

Personally, we would have rather had the option of staying in our stateroom until disembarking - but getting into our cabin earlier will be nice too. Can't have one without the other!

We book later flights just in case so are usually among the last to leave and it was easier to wait in the stateroom - the room steward just prepared the room while we were there and only had to replace the towels and finish the bathroom when we left.

Frankly, I am not sure that the new service will be entirely without trade offs. I was on the Westerdam 2/4 - 2/11 and staterooms were ready at 11:30, our bags arrived shortly thereafter. Kudos for this. But .... When we signed up for luggage direct we were told that we had to leave the ship between 7:15 and 8:00 to take advantage of the service ... That makes no sense for anything except to encourage many more of us to leave the ship very early rather than at our convenience to enable staff to get the cabins ready.

The real question is ... Is the cruise experience better when it begins with cabin access, or ends at our leisure? Different folks will clearly have thoughts on this.

Last summer on the Oosterdam, there was already a rule about people using luggage direct being in the first group off. I was told it had something to do with all of the luggage and its owners clearing customs together before the next group of bags and people disembarked. Maybe that wasn't the reason, but that is what I was told.

I, for one, think it is more important to end on a happy note with an un-rushed day, but it seems others feel differently.

Last time we used luggage direct (Amsterdam, San Diego, December 14) there was no issue with using luggage direct and taking the late disembarkation. This was the first time we encountered this wrinkle.

Given the choice we, too, would prefer to retain our "cruise mellow" and disembark at our leisure -- we can have lunch while waiting for the cabins to be ready -- we do not mind waiting when we board as we have the whole cruise to mellow out.

From the new online Mariner Magazine

Crew Spotlight: Enhancing Embarkation:

NEW Stateroom Direct Service

This new service will be available on all ships by the end of February.

That's great news to be able to settle in your cabin at 11:30 instead of 1:30. However, the crew is stretched with everything that they already have to do. They work so very hard and I hope passengers will show them their appreciation and treat them with great respect! It's amazing what they accomplish on a daily basis on a very limited amount of sleep.

Diane

Well, the news broke this morning on Cruise Critic regarding being in your cabin on embarcation by 11:30 AM. ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362827 .

And then Brian posted yesterday about the debarcation changes ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362494 ), so whomever posted this about a month or so ago was spot on!

Archived