Warning for those sailing out of Bayonne

dkjretired

Which is why I never drive out of NJ. I have NO CLUE how to pump my own gas! :'):o:') (I know....I am pathetic)

Seriously? You nave never pumped your own? I would not say pathetic but very, VERY surprised........I thought everyone

pumped their own.

Seriously? You nave never pumped your own? I would not say pathetic but very, VERY surprised........I thought everyone

pumped their own.

I've lived half and half and honestly, you do forget (since every place is slightly different)...I recall being in California and having SUCH a hard time, when we went to the booth to pay the woman was cracking up...she said "Oregon, right?".

Even in places where it is a choice, there are always some people who choose to have full service (probably the same people who cruise in suites ;p).

It's not a born-with skill.

I've lived half and half and honestly, you do forget (since every place is slightly different)...I recall being in California and having SUCH a hard time, when we went to the booth to pay the woman was cracking up...she said "Oregon, right?".

Even in places where it is a choice, there are always some people who choose to have full service (probably the same people who cruise in suites ;p).

It's not a born-with skill.

I have not seen a "FULL SERVICE" gas station in years and years and years.....and after living on my own for almost my entire adult life I have always pumped my own. Around here, there are no full service gas stations....so there is not a choice.

I have not seen a "FULL SERVICE" gas station in years and years and years.....and after living on my own for almost my entire adult life I have always pumped my own. Around here, there are no full service gas stations....so there is not a choice.

I really thought they were still a choice in most states - apparently not!

Absolutely agree with the above poster. Ive never seen a full service gas pump in Ohio, Kentucky, or Indiana. In fact I’ve never seen one anywhere, though I now realize they do exist in some states.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

pumped their own.

If you have lived your whole life in NJ and have never driven out of state, why would I know how to pump gas? Surely, I cannot be the only one. If I go to NYC, I take public transportation. Road trips (Niagara Falls, etc.) my husband drives (yes, he knows how to pump gas), but only because he was a gas attendant when he was in High School. Now...if I had to do it, then of course I would learn. Hey, if I can learn all of the technology of "today", I am sure I can master a gas pump! :')

There is one gas station in my neighborhood on a street that has about 4 other gas stations that does not offer self service and they have an attendant who pumps gas. I rarely go there because it is always crowded especially this time of the year. If you pay cash they are also the cheapest on the block. I don’t carry more than $20 cash at any given time so I go to the station that charges the same price cash or debit and pump my own gas for 2 cents more a gallon than the other station charges. Every now and then you can find a station that offers both but the price of gas is a lot more per gallon than the stations that offer no service.

If you have lived your whole life in NJ and have never driven out of state, why would I know how to pump gas? Surely, I cannot be the only one. If I go to NYC, I take public transportation. Road trips (Niagara Falls, etc.) my husband drives (yes, he knows how to pump gas), but only because he was a gas attendant when he was in High School. Now...if I had to do it, then of course I would learn. Hey, if I can learn all of the technology of "today", I am sure I can master a gas pump! :')

Good morning, I was not trying to criticize you:eek:.....I was just replying to your own post.......as for knowing how to pump

gas? OK....so not everyone knows how. My mistake.

Good morning, I was not trying to criticize you:eek:.....I was just replying to your own post.......as for knowing how to pump

gas? OK....so not everyone knows how. My mistake.

Oh, no Lois...I did not take it as a criticism at all! I am a BIG fan of yours! I was looking at the flip side of people not being able to understand how NJ does not know how to pump gas, and YES...it does sound pretty pathetic..lol. Just wanted to give my side. :) BTW....about to book the Summit again. I know this used to be one of your fav's....have you sailed her lately?

Oh, no Lois...I did not take it as a criticism at all! I am a BIG fan of yours! I was looking at the flip side of people not being able to understand how NJ does not know how to pump gas, and YES...it does sound pretty pathetic..lol. Just wanted to give my side. :) BTW....about to book the Summit again. I know this used to be one of your fav's....have you sailed her lately?

Thanks:)......appreciate it. As for sailing Summit? Nope, I have not sailed her in (we we are in 18 now?) in 3 years.

I haven't been sailing with Celebrity on a regular basis anymore.....I did sail with X last year for the Superbowl but on Summit?

Last time was back in 2015.

There are only two thing I miss about my years working in New Jersey (don't flame me NJ people, I worked in Camden) one was the gas and two was that I could walk over to the nail shops and get really cool airbrushed designs done (cheap) when I was going on vacation (or I felt like it.)

Sent from my RCT6S03W12 using Forums mobile app

So, to people in states w gas attendants, curious if robberies are a problem. At all gas stations where I live you prepay at the pump w a card or you can go into the store to prepay w cash or purchase snacks/drinks. We have a big problem with those stores getting robbed. So more and more they lock the doors in the late night hours and the attendant is safely secured inside. Then there’s a small window where he can exchange money and items with customers. Makes robberies a non issue because the windows around are him are very thick and all he has to do is walk away from the window and call the police if someone tries to rob him. In this day and age I can’t see any business creating a full service option that would put their employees in more danger than they already are.

So, to people in states w gas attendants, curious if robberies are a problem. At all gas stations where I live you prepay at the pump w a card or you can go into the store to prepay w cash or purchase snacks/drinks. We have a big problem with those stores getting robbed. So more and more they lock the doors in the late night hours and the attendant is safely secured inside. Then there’s a small window where he can exchange money and items with customers. Makes robberies a non issue because the windows around are him are very thick and all he has to do is walk away from the window and call the police if someone tries to rob him. In this day and age I can’t see any business creating a full service option that would put their employees in more danger than they already are.

They are still a problem since the attendants do carry lots of cash. Another problem is the attendants making false reports about being robbed. Some stations put up signs that there will be no cash accepted after a certain hour. Unfortunately in New Jersey, they can't decide not to have attendants since its illegal to pump your own gas.

Yeah; this is good info to know because I need to avoid driving in New Jersey or Oregon. I HATE having people do things for me I can do myself. Like pumping my gas, or washing my car, or parking my car, or handling my bags. I don’t even like having food delivered or going through drive throughs. Just feel lazy letting strangers do things for me.

Edited by sanger727

Sanger727, you might want to avoid Las Vegas too.. you get to pump your own gas but you are not allowed to wash your own car. Desert rules say it is not allowed so we can save water. Take it to a car wash that recycles their water or have a mobile detail guy come by and do it with recycled water....

Sanger727, you might want to avoid Las Vegas too.. you get to pump your own gas but you are not allowed to wash your own car. Desert rules say it is not allowed so we can save water. Take it to a car wash that recycles their water or have a mobile detail guy come by and do it with recycled water....

We’ve driven in Las Vegas actually. But, no, never tried washing the car there. I do automatic car washes anyway; just not the ones where you have to get out and let them drive it through and wipe it down.

Yeah; this is good info to know because I need to avoid driving in New Jersey or Oregon. I HATE having people do things for me I can do myself. Like pumping my gas, or washing my car, or parking my car, or handling my bags. I don’t even like having food delivered or going through drive throughs. Just feel lazy letting strangers do things for me.

s - LOL, I find it strange when I do not have people doing things for me, which I can definitely do myself... what is the reason to expend energy on such things when someone else can do it???

Oh well, that works for me... when it happens!

bon voyage

I guess I am in the minority. Being a trucker I do pump my own fuel in NJ. When I went to the truck stop for the first time I sat and looked around for the attendant. Being from Philadelphia I used to love heading over the bridge to get some gas. first it was so much cheaper, second you didn't need to pump it.