Warning for those sailing out of Bayonne

dkjretired

It's just too bad that raised all the taxes on gasoline in NJ. It was always the cheapest around the tri-state (especially CT where our taxes have been high for decades). We would drive to Bayonne and then fill up on the way home. But alas, they even took that away from us.

Yes but CT deserves the highest gas. Share the wealth thingie. :D

Question: pumping isn't the same as passing, right?

My sister who lives in CT told me it was because it prevents drive offs. They used to have a lot in the Carter gas era supposedly.

I remember that both as a driver and a Police Officer at the time. People would drive off all the time without paying, I guess after you sit in line for a couple of hours to get gas, you get frustrated when you finally get it. That was not the reason for having to not pump your own gas since the law has been in effect forever.

The pump your own gas ban is not new in NJ, it has been around for at least the last 32 years....that I have lived in NJ. The flying drones while drunk thing is typical of Christie, complete waste of taxpayers time and money....Maybe he is still mad about the guy who flew over the beach July 4 weekend and made pictures of him and his friends enjoying the closed beach just because they could while the rest was shutdown when he shut down the state government....

Bingo

My sister who lives in CT told me it was because it prevents drive offs. They used to have a lot in the Carter gas era supposedly.

But you can't have drive offs nowadays.

You either put your credit card in first (and it has to be approved), or if you want to pay cash you go inside to give them money first...and if you give them a $10 with the intent of pumping $20 and dashing, they shut the pump off remotely at $10.

I see no reason to ever sail our of Jersey (born and raised in nyc) I would like to see some stations that would pump gas for you , long time ago you had both options , have not seen a full service station in Texas for over 20 years

The pump your own gas ban is not new in NJ, it has been around for at least the last 32 years....that I have lived in NJ........

It's been around a lot longer than that. I've never had to pump gas and I never remember my parents having to pump it either when I was a child growing up in NJ. :)

OK, since this is Cruise Critic, I must pose these 2 questions because I'm dying to know the answers:

• Is there a discretionary service charge (aka Gratuity) added to the charge for filling up?

and

• Has anyone noticed any specific dress code for getting gas? i.e.: must we be in "Evening Chic" attire on Saturday evenings or can this be smart casual all of the time?

Sorry, I just had to ask :cool:

OK, since this is Cruise Critic, I must pose these 2 questions because I'm dying to know the answers:

• Is there a discretionary service charge (aka Gratuity) added to the charge for filling up?

and

• Has anyone noticed any specific dress code for getting gas? i.e.: must we be in "Evening Chic" attire on Saturday evenings or can this be smart casual all of the time?

j - anything less than a bathrobe would cause a stir.... :')

bon voyage

Getting totally OT now....

Remember when you got gas it was actually a service station and they also checked your oil, tire pressure, etc.

Gee, I feel really old.....

There is actually one station that I go to on occasion where they actually do clean the windows without being asked and, if I ask they would in fact be happy to check the oil. But, that is only one station in the line of about 6.

Jed

and

#1 no service charge

#2 Dress code is up to the owner, I knew a station that used to have High School and College girls in Skimpy mini skirts pumping the gas.

I see no reason to ever sail our of Jersey (born and raised in nyc) I would like to see some stations that would pump gas for you , long time ago you had both options , have not seen a full service station in Texas for over 20 years

A very long time ago they pumped your gas, checked the oil, cleaned you windows and gave you a glass or steak knife with every fill up.

A very long time ago they pumped your gas, checked the oil, cleaned you windows and gave you a glass or steak knife with every fill up.

I believe those were the days when you paid the attendant with a $5 bill and received change!

And gas was 25 cents a gallon...

Edited to add, Sorry Luvcrusn, same idea but I'm a slow writer! :(

And, you had to keep going back till you got a full set of glasses or steak knives. :D What memories!

And, you had to keep going back till you got a full set of glasses or steak knives. :D What memories!

Just like having plate settings for six (6) of X inscribed dishes, I have to keep going back until I finish the collection!

;p

bon voyage

This whole thing is bizarre. I’ve lived in Ohio and Kentucky and frequent Indiana since we are a border city. I’ve never seen a gas pump with an attendant. So you can be sure that I’ll hop out without knowing any better. How silly that regular people can’t pump gas. And yes, drive offs are a non issue anymore since most all pumps require you to prepay anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Oregon a small place might have one or two people working, but they are quite visible.

We usually get our gas at Costco, 3 pumps to a bay, maybe 10 bays across - the workers swarm like bees there are so many of them.

Honestly, I LOVE not having to get out of my car, just hand over your card, that's the extent of it. No being out in the elements, no stinky gas smell on your hands, no trying to figure out different pumps with the sun reflecting off of them and you can't see what button to push...

Oh, we used to live in New Jersey, too, so I've had a charmed life.