Quick remarks about my Sun Experience

cingroomer

I will write a review later but just wanted to say this about The Sun. We just got off today after having been pretty much loyal Carnival Cruisers. Have done a few RCCL and have another planned but wanted to do a short one on the Sun to see if we liked it before committing to a longer cruise. I can say, I am hooked. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say. The food was fantastic, and plenty of it from the time you get up till you go to bed. The drinks flowed, with tons of bars, quick bartenders and some great options, I had never expected this.

This cruise, the staff, the food, the ship, the entertainment exceeded all of my expectations. I will be cruising NCL again, hopefully the Sun, maybe another ship, but I can tell you, I read some reviews on here that talked about the awful food...those people must think they are Gordon Ramsey, who I'm sure would have even agreed for the most part, the food was excellent.

I read some reviews on here that talked about the awful food...those people must think they are Gordon Ramsey, who I'm sure would have even agreed for the most part, the food was excellent.

Food taste is a VERY subjective thing for many dishes. Having said that, my wife and I have rarely had a problem with the food quality on any of our cruises. Yes, the specialty dining restaurants are better, but the MDRs are almost always just fine.

Glad to hear of your positive experience. We've done the Getaway, the Escape and the Sky in the past; just booked 7 days on the Sun in September. All of the research that I did prior to booking was overwhelmingly positive regarding the ship, the food and the crew.

If you liked the Sun, wait till you try one of the Breakaway Plus class ships. You're going to be blown away.

Welcome to the NCL family!

Are the megaships really that much better? I've read they have massive crowding problems because they don't expand the eating/entertainment areas enough to match the greater number of passengers.

(Keep in mind that the largest ships we've sailed on are the Jewel and the Carnival Splendor, both of which are medium-sized at best.)

Are the megaships really that much better? I've read they have massive crowding problems because they don't expand the eating/entertainment areas enough to match the greater number of passengers.

(Keep in mind that the largest ships we've sailed on are the Jewel and the Carnival Splendor, both of which are medium-sized at best.)

No the megas are not that much better. I've sailed the Bway and gem several times apiece. If you're young and/or active or single the megas might be better because there are more people and just seems energetic like a Manhattan beat to it. eating/entertaining can be a problem on the megas esp during high times. while as if you're more sedate the Gem is a great ship, you'll find here many people like the gem more than any other ship.

If you liked the Sun, wait till you try one of the Breakaway Plus class ships. You're going to be blown away.

Welcome to the NCL family!

That ain't necessarily so.

We've sailed like 50 days+ on the Sun and love everything about it. We despise the mega ships with a passion. Will never do another sailing on any mega ship--whether NCL, RCCL, MSC, etc.

That ain't necessarily so.

We've sailed like 50 days+ on the Sun and love everything about it. We despise the mega ships with a passion. Will never do another sailing on any mega ship--whether NCL, RCCL, MSC, etc.

What did you not like about the megaships? I ask because we're wondering if we're missing out on anything only sailing medium and smaller-sized vessels (not by choice necessarily, but because the ships with our preferred itineraries have been that size).

I will write a review later but just wanted to say this about The Sun. We just got off today after having been pretty much loyal Carnival Cruisers. Have done a few RCCL and have another planned but wanted to do a short one on the Sun to see if we liked it before committing to a longer cruise. I can say, I am hooked. I have absolutely NOTHING bad to say. The food was fantastic, and plenty of it from the time you get up till you go to bed. The drinks flowed, with tons of bars, quick bartenders and some great options, I had never expected this.

This cruise, the staff, the food, the ship, the entertainment exceeded all of my expectations. I will be cruising NCL again, hopefully the Sun, maybe another ship, but I can tell you, I read some reviews on here that talked about the awful food...those people must think they are Gordon Ramsey, who I'm sure would have even agreed for the most part, the food was excellent.

The Sun has always been one or, if not my favorite ships. She was the first NCL ship designed for freestyle dining.

As for mega ships versus smaller ones, for us the smaller ships are more our style. We have found the service better on the smaller ships, but this is just a personal preference. We have sailed both the Breakaway and the Epic.

What did you not like about the megaships? I ask because we're wondering if we're missing out on anything only sailing medium and smaller-sized vessels (not by choice necessarily, but because the ships with our preferred itineraries have been that size).

They don't fit our cruising style at all. Too many people in too limited a space (and spaces). Needing to make lots of reservations in advance or running the chance of getting closed out. We sail for destinations but for most on the mega-ships the ship is the destination (which is their personal preference and fine) but that idea leaves us cold.

Much prefer, with NCL Sun class or Spirit class, but lately lean more and more toward Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean. Yes, more expensive for a regular cabin, but when compared to the ridiculous pricing of NCL suites lately, a darn good value.

• Like 1

The drinks flowed, with tons of bars, quick bartenders and some great options, I had never expected this.

This cruise, the staff, the food, the ship, the entertainment exceeded all of my expectations. I will be cruising NCL again, hopefully the Sun, maybe another ship

Glad that you had a great cruise! For future reference, only the Sun and the Sky have "all-inclusive" drinks policies, it's different on all of the other ships. Most people get the Ultimate Beverage Package as a free perk, but gratuities are then rolled into your fare (about $17/pp/pd) and that catches some people by surprise.

We switched from Carnival to Norwegian back in 2016, and have been very happy on all of our cruises since. We're back to Carnival in October for a four day with friends who only sail that line, I will be curious to see how the comparison now goes.

Yeah! NCL Sun. Did 32 days around South America last year and would have been quite happy to keep sailing (if not for $$$$) Glad you enjoyed her. We are booked on her again for a 15 day Cuba/Carib in November. I think there may have been a couple of dishes we weren't keen on but certainly never went hungry. Thought the crew was fabulous. I keep saying we prefer the smaller ships but as we have never actually sailed on any of the larger ones perhaps I shouldn't. Sailing on non NCL in September with 3560 passengers so we will see how we like that. Looking forward to reading your review. Happy sailing.

Thanks for posting this, going on Sky next week, first time on one of the smaller ships for me.

I did quite a few Carnival cruises in the past (see signature) then back again for one this past May. In my opinion food quality and selection have really gone down with them.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

We they serving B&L over in Moderno still? Is the buffet still one small, continuous section port side?

They have lunch there, but its not considered Mederno...its just a different lunch buffet than the main buffet. That attracted me the most because it had excellent chicken, tuna and egg salad, pasta salad that was fantastic, some other salads, yellow beets, fruit selection and breads plus make your own salad. Was perfect for a nice ligt lunch.

Thanks for posting this, going on Sky next week, first time on one of the smaller ships for me.

I did quite a few Carnival cruises in the past (see signature) then back again for one this past May. In my opinion food quality and selection have really gone down with them.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

I'm jealous, I want to go back now....I have been on the mega ships and the smaller ones, and I thought maybe this would not have enough to do, well, there was plenty. We didn't get to do half of what we planned, even with no waiting in food lines (whether for the MDR or buffet). Carnival compared to the NCL, at least the sun is like comparing Walmart to Macys. Not just the quality of staff but the food, the entertainment, the music..it as all first rate. Tablecloths, 2 times a day room service, food just about 24/7, breakfast delivery punctual, cleanliness of room, not dirty dish stands all around in MDR, all better on NCL. I did miss the Dive in Movies and the singing wait staff, but I can live with that.

Food taste is a VERY subjective thing for many dishes. Having said that, my wife and I have rarely had a problem with the food quality on any of our cruises. Yes, the specialty dining restaurants are better, but the MDRs are almost always just fine.

I agree but all my hot food served hot, cold was cold...on Carnival, thats a huge problem. Food is never hot when served. The quality of the food and the selections without a doubt was much better than Carnival..every one of us that cruised with me were in agreement. Also, as you know, on Carnival, they have those stands they pile the dirty dishes on, on NCL all of that is behind the work station where you can't see it. Much more appetizing.

We've done the Getaway and the Escape several times each. The only real crowding compliant I have is the pools; plenty of deck space, but both of the pools are tiny and really inadequate for 4000 passengers. Sea days are crazy.

We were on the same cruise as you! I hope to have a review written up before too long.

I wouldn't say the ship was perfect but I also don't understand the comments about the food being inedible. We ate in the main dining rooms all three nights and the food was very good. We didn't have to wait forever between courses either, like you usually do on Carnival. Norwegian really is much better at the "dine when you want" concept.

Fastest debarkation ever too. We walked straight off and were at our car before 7:45.

I loved the Sun when I cruise on her. Never thought I would like a Megaship until we went on the Breakaway. WOW!!! We are very active 50 year olds so we love the waterslides, ropes courses and the Waterfront (a wrap around deck on the 8th level with bars, restaurants outside). Entertainment is fabulous as are the speciality restaurants (some which are on smaller ships). You can go non-stop if you want to.

So it depends on what you're in the mood for. I'm a bit spoiled now by the megaships but can see going to a small ship for a short cruise (3-5 days).

They don't fit our cruising style at all. Too many people in too limited a space (and spaces). Needing to make lots of reservations in advance or running the chance of getting closed out. We sail for destinations but for most on the mega-ships the ship is the destination (which is their personal preference and fine) but that idea leaves us cold.

Much prefer, with NCL Sun class or Spirit class, but lately lean more and more toward Oceania, Azamara and Viking Ocean. Yes, more expensive for a regular cabin, but when compared to the ridiculous pricing of NCL suites lately, a darn good value.

If our budget allowed us to sail some of the lines you are leaning to I would jump at the chance. I have heard so many great things about Oceania, Azamara and river cruises, but we can't so we are happy with the mid sized or smaller as they are referred to now, NCL ships. I also totally agree about the mega ships. For some they are wonderful, for us not so.

They have lunch there, but its not considered Mederno...its just a different lunch buffet than the main buffet. That attracted me the most because it had excellent chicken, tuna and egg salad, pasta salad that was fantastic, some other salads, yellow beets, fruit selection and breads plus make your own salad. Was perfect for a nice ligt lunch.

YES. That chicken salad. It. Was. The. Best. I’ve. Ever. Had. !!!!! [emoji79]

And the egg salad too!!!

Those cold salads and pretzels rolls were my lunch for 18 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

YES. That chicken salad. It. Was. The. Best. I’ve. Ever. Had. !!!!! [emoji79]

And the egg salad too!!!

Those cold salads and pretzels rolls were my lunch for 18 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where is this lunch and is it open on embarkation day?

Where is the best place to get a less crowded lunch for Embarkation?

Also-- for Sail Away--any tips on where to be?

Not first time cruisers - yet first time NCL and the Sun

TYIA