Panama Canal question

denims

We are looking forward in going through the Panama Canal after they complete the new lock.

Does anyone know when the new lock is going to be completed and usable? (I "think" they have started the project)

They have more than started the project. It is scheduled to be completed in 2014. Not sure if they are on track or not for that date.

Thanks for your quick reply!

We have been thru The Canal a number of times. We are waiting for the completion, so Princess can take us through again.

There is a thread on this on the Panama Canal forum.

Two things to consider:

1> The locks are currently about 6 months behind schedule. This could change

2> There's no guarantee Princess will use the new locks at first, assuming the same ships stay on the itinerary. It's expected the new locks will be pricier than the old, and the Coral and Island still fit AND will benefit from lower traffic levels.

We are looking forward in going through the Panama Canal after they complete the new lock.

Does anyone know when the new lock is going to be completed and usable? (I "think" they have started the project)

We were at the Panama Canal last year on the Island and the new locks were under construction at that time. They had done considerable earth moving etc.

Scheduled completion was Fall 2014 for full traffic. I've heard rumors that

sometime in late spring 2015 is the date.

Attached is link to construction info & pictures

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=GatunHi

We are booked May 2014 and hope to see an almost completed canal.

The new locks will be more expensive to go through, but the cruise lines will be able to reposition bigger ships through the new locks. For instance, Royal will be able to cruise the canal when it is finished.:)

Here is the link I referenced on the Panama board...

http://shipandbunker.com/news/am/528100-delay-confirmed-on-panama-canal-expansion-project

Just guessing here... but I don't believe the current Princess Panamax ships (ones that fit presently) would be using the new set of Locks under normal circumstances. I would guess they would begin scheduling their larger post-Panamax ships whenever the new Locks have a firm completion date. To be sure you get to go through the new locks you would need to plan on using the presently too big for the Canal ship for your Canal cruise, hopefully sometime in 2015.

Thanks for your quick reply!

We have been thru The Canal a number of times. We are waiting for the completion, so Princess can take us through again.

We love going thru the canal and we were also waiting for the completion of the new locks. However, last I heard they were at least 6 months to a year behind schedule and the schedule was to open in august of 2014. We decided not to wait that long and are booked for April of next year. We will probably do the trip again in 2015 or 2015 (God willing). Are you aware that the cruise ships probably will not be going thru the new locks however, only the super panamax cargo ships.

Why wait until they are completed? Why not go when they are far along in construction. You might be able see some that are under construction and see what goes on under these locks? Then go a few years later, if so inclined, to see the finished product?

So, I see little downside with visiting them from this point on.:)

I agree. Unless you specifically want to sail on a ship that is too large to fit through the current locks, go now. We did the full transit a few years ago but went back in March so we could see the construction, too. Kind of a "behind-the-scenes" view that you'll never have a chance to see once the new locks are complete.

Why wait until they are completed? Why not go when they are far along in construction. You might be able see some that are under construction and see what goes on under these locks? Then go a few years later, if so inclined, to see the finished product?

We are doing a partial transit on the Coral in November. Will we be able to see any of the new construction from the ship or do we have to take a tour.

I see princess does have a tour about this.

I don't know of any tours that will take you to the construction sites. It is possible they exist, but I am not aware of them. Since you are on a partial transit, as you are approaching Gatun Locks in the morning there will the construction site for the new Atlantic Locks be visible on the port side. Probably not much detail, maybe lights and some cranes. After clearing Gatun Locks, on the port side will be the batching plants, rock crushing equipment etc. This all you will be able to see on the Atlantic side save for some cranes sticking above the trees. If you take one of the tours where you disembark in Gatun Lake, you may get to drive by some of the construction... can't say for sure because that has all started since I was there last. Now if you elect to take the partial transit of the Pacific Locks by ferry you will see a good bit of the construction. Mostly what you will see is the construction of the Pacific Access Channel which will connect Gaillard Cut with the new Pacific Locks. It really is a monumental earth moving project, they have already removed a 400' hill and have built the base for a large earthen dam to separate Miraflores Lake from what will be an extension of Gaillard Cut. All of this will be fairly up close and personal as seen from the ferry.

We are doing a partial transit on the Coral in November. Will we be able to see any of the new construction from the ship or do we have to take a tour.

I can't help. We're not going until spring of 2014. I suspect others will chime in- and some have.:)

I took a look at the tours offered by Princess and in their description and photo of tour PC1-235, Today's Locks System and the Future.... it looked like this observation building. So it does appear that they are now offering a tour at least of the Atlantic Locks, glad they are now doing that. These pics were taken off the Canal's Atlantic Locks Expansion cam.

2wrqbrl.jpg

The pic below shows the view to the left....

28195d5.jpg

Below is the bulk of the construction site which you would see looking to your right.... For a reference point, the present Gatun Locks would lie behind the buildings in the background in the general vicinity of the smoke.

1gmbnm.jpg

Thank you all for the great info

We took the ferry through to the pacific a couple of years ago. The new princess tour sounded good. I think my dh would like it. He loves this stuff.I was hoping we could just see some construction on board.

Went earlier this year. They are trying to have the "official"opening of the new locks August of 2014 to celebrate the 100 yesr aniversaru of the original opening of the canal. You can see the constructionas you go through the locks but not much else. I do not see how they can"finish" bythen butI expect they will have something "official" anyway. Enjoy your cruise as it is funand exciting.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting thought. There is an iBook out now on the construction of the canal. "The Panama Canal, the Invisible Wonder of the World" It is a photographic history of the construction era showing photos of the various parts while under construction. It has some 200 plus excellent quality photos arranged from the Atlantic to the Pacific so cruisers may see what happened below the ship as they move through the canal. As far as I can find out it is only available in iBook format for an iPad.

I find this interesting. Since I'm probably only going to do this trip once in my life, I was insistent that we go through the old locks. The only way to ensure that was to make sure we went before the new ones are finished.

After reading 'A Path Between the Seas', and all the history, lives lost, etc., that sealed the deal even further.

If you've done the old one before, then I could see the desire to go through the new.

Archived