How NOT to get an upgrade

JudithLynne

We have a Celebrity cruise coming up and do not want to be upgraded or moved from a cabin that is perfect for us. Should I ask our TA to pass that information on to the cruise line? The cruise is almost fully booked.

Yes, you want Celebrity to have a "do not move/upgrade, etc" in your file for this cruise. Since you have booked thru a TA. I'm not sure whether Celebrity will take those instructions from you directly, though it wouldn't hurt to call. But at least make sure your TA takes care of that.

Enjoy your cruise!

You can ask your TA to note that but free upgrades are extremely rare.

The cruise line has a right to change your cabin but that also is rare.

On our last cruise when we arrived at our cabin we were met by people in a nearby cabin who wanted us to switch with them. They had been on the previous cruise and wanted to be next to their friends. They had asked guest services to change our cabin before we boarded & Guest Services wouldn't change it without our agreement. They also asked the Michaels Club Concierge to intercede and make the switch, she too said only with our consent. Point being that cabins aren't normally changed without a good reason.

I am on hold now for our TA, big box company.

Jelayne, just curious, did you make the room change? I find it reassuring that Celebrity protected your reservation. Our cabin is a connecting cabin, but the adjoining cabin is booked.

Celebrity can and will change your cabin without prior notice even if you have a notation on the file.

Happened to us on the Infinity 2015 in South America. Picked a specific veranda cabin on the port side for viewing of land. Had the do not upgrade feature. Also confirmed by TA in writing. Checked the reservation on line and via the Captains Club with a real live person, just before flying out.

Got to the check-in and our cabin was cancelled - moved to Aqua Class in a cabin right under the noisy pool deck on the wrong side of the ship. We were totally livid. Of course our dining arrangements were cancelled to.

Luckily because we arrived early - we were able to get our cabin back at the check in. Took next 4-5 hours to reconstruct our dining reservation.

That plus the degradation of many other elements of the cruise product resulted in that being our last cruise with Celebrity.

As we learned, there are no guarantees even when practicing due diligence.

I am on hold now for our TA, big box company.

Jelayne, just curious, did you make the room change? I find it reassuring that Celebrity protected your reservation. Our cabin is a connecting cabin, but the adjoining cabin is booked.

No we didn't make the change, the location of the other cabin was across from a crew door and was not the configuration we prefer.

No we didn't make the change, the location of the other cabin was across from a crew door and was not the configuration we prefer.

Good for you....glad that you didn't bow to pressure.

The TA from the big box warehouse told me that, unlike HAL and Princess, Celebrity does not usually change cabins. He said that the only time he has seen that happen is when passengers need a handicapped cabin that is booked by fit passengers and then the travel agency is notified to work out a plan. That fits with what you are saying with Celebrity backing you as the original bookers.

Several years ago we got a call from Celebrity reservations in advance of final payment date asking if we would agree to change our cabin as another party wanted our specific cabin. We said no and that was the end of it.

This is my 1st Celebrity cruise and 1st time booking with a TA. I also do not want to be moved and when I asked her about it months ago, she said I need not worry...that Celebrity never upgrades. ???

My TA said the same thing.

This is my 1st Celebrity cruise and 1st time booking with a TA. I also do not want to be moved and when I asked her about it months ago, she said I need not worry...that Celebrity never upgrades. ???

Celebrity rarely upgrades, but when they do it is usually first time cruisers. I would notate do not upgrade on your reservation.

Celebrity rarely upgrades, but when they do it is usually first time cruisers. I would notate do not upgrade on your reservation.

This happened to us, and we have cruised with Celebrity previously many times.

Celebrity can and will change your cabin without prior notice even if you have a notation on the file.

Happened to us on the Infinity 2015 in South America. Picked a specific veranda cabin on the port side for viewing of land. Had the do not upgrade feature. Also confirmed by TA in writing. Checked the reservation on line and via the Captains Club with a real live person, just before flying out.

Got to the check-in and our cabin was cancelled - moved to Aqua Class in a cabin right under the noisy pool deck on the wrong side of the ship. We were totally livid. Of course our dining arrangements were cancelled to.

Luckily because we arrived early - we were able to get our cabin back at the check in. Took next 4-5 hours to reconstruct our dining reservation.

As we learned, there are no guarantees even when practicing due diligence.

The same thing happened to us last year. I happened to check our reservation online a few days before leaving for our cruise. We were also "upgraded" to an Aqua Class cabin with an obstructed view due to the window washing equipment, under the noisy pool deck at the front of the ship. Luckily we discovered the problem before arriving at the dock, and our TA was able to get Celebrity to change us back to our midship balcony cabin, which we had booked around a year ahead.

This happened to us, and we have cruised with Celebrity previously many times.

The same thing happened to us last year. I happened to check our reservation online a few days before leaving for our cruise. We were also "upgraded" to an Aqua Class cabin with an obstructed view due to the window washing equipment, under the noisy pool deck at the front of the ship. Luckily we discovered the problem before arriving at the dock, and our TA was able to get Celebrity to change us back to our midship balcony cabin, which we had booked around a year ahead.

I do not understand why would they upgrade you without you asking for it and your old room was still available

I do not understand why would they upgrade you without you asking for it and your old room was still available

Celebrity had evidently given our cabin to someone else - I don't know why. Our TA spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Celebrity, and convinced them to give us our original cabin back. My guess is that Celebrity "upgraded" the other couple to that Aqua Class cabin. We were thankful that we got our original cabin back, especially since the seas were especially rough one evening (due to a typhoon in the area). (Celebrity even changed the show in the theater that evening since they didn't consider it safe for their dancers.)

Our reservation had been marked "do not upgrade" by our TA.

Remember if you booked a Guarantee, putting do not move on your reservation is not a protection. As part of the gty booking, you have given Celebrity the right to assign any cabin within that category or above and also (the fact that most don't know or forget) change it at any time. Just an FYI.......

Remember if you booked a Guarantee, putting do not move on your reservation is not a protection. As part of the gty booking, you have given Celebrity the right to assign any cabin within that category or above and also (the fact that most don't know or forget) change it at any time. Just an FYI.......

On our upcoming trip on the constellation, we booked a guaranteed cabin for the highest type of outside cabin and 1 week after making the reservation we were given a balcony.

Who knows, we could be changed again.

This is speculation and not a fact. Nobody knows how Celebrity or any other cruise line makes their upgrade decisions.