Just how bad is the coffee on Princess ?

The Other Tom

Are you able to get the coffee in the IC "to go"?....

Maybe I should have been clearer. Walk-up coffee at the IC is served in paper cups, lids available (I try to be the one to put the lid on, for sanitary reasons). If you sit at one of the nearby tables and request a coffee drink from a waitress, it may be served to you that way but possibly in a ceramic cup with saucer.

Edited by Wehwalt

HEY PRINCESS....ARE YOU READING THIS? (Shouting)

Seems more than a few of your "cruisers" are unhappy with the coffee....

Over the past few years more and more people are getting into having better coffee...

Do you think MAYBE it's time to make an improvement?

Why would princess undercut the specialty coffee sales onboard?

I don't consider myself a coffee slob. I like Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, Hardees/Carl Junior , Starbucks, Lavazza and a few others. But I absolutely can't stand Bojangles or Maxwell House.

So, what would you compare Princess coffee to ?

As with many others here, I get the coffee card. I usually take a walk downstairs to the International Cafe first thing in the AM for 2 to-go cups of fresh brew and some donuts while DW gets ready. They even have those multiple coffee cup holders (I reuse it each morning)

The International Cafe is always close to where you get back on board after a day in port, so a frozen coffee drink goes down like sweet nectar when you're back aboard.

I still have 8 or so punches left on my card from a couple of cruises ago, they don't punch your card for fresh brew, you just need to show it.

...I still have 8 or so punches left on my card from a couple of cruises ago, they don't punch your card for fresh brew, you just need to show it.

I have found that some baristas on Princess will punch your card for brewed coffee if the card is from a previous voyage, which I guess is technically the policy. But some don't. This seems to depend, like many things on Princess, from ship to ship and staff to staff...

Sorry if I have posted this before, but in my opinion, Princess has the BEST (in the buffet/free) coffee in all the cruise lines that I have tried. A close palatable second is Carnival. NCL hit or miss. Royal and Celebrity should hang their head in shame....worst.

Specialty coffees:

1. Princess and Celebrity's al Cafe Bacio

2. Carnival Java Blue

3. NCL

Of course, this is strictly my opinion. Different people have different tastes.

Edited by Arzeena

HEY PRINCESS....ARE YOU READING THIS? (Shouting)

Seems more than a few of your "cruisers" are unhappy with the coffee....

Over the past few years more and more people are getting into having better coffee...

Do you think MAYBE it's time to make an improvement?

Some people drink coffee for the rich taste and aroma. For those of us that are really into their coffee though, we drink it for the caffeine.

Anyone can drink good coffee. It takes a trained and versed coffee master to down cup after cup of swill.

Perhaps you need to step up your coffee game.

Edited by jasmith52

• 1 month later...

I was on the Crown this past June. I thought the Dining Room & Horizon Court Coffee seemed to be an improvement from my past cruises on Princess. Either that or my coffee standard expectations have lowered. hahaha Truly, I thought it was fine. My recommendation is to give it a try. If you really hate it, then purchase a coffee card. Just a suggestion :D

Edited by Katjoy

I was on the Caribbean Princess earlier this year and thought the coffee in the Horizon Court was pretty good - better than it has been.

Also on Celebrity Equinox this year and the coffee in the buffet is actually from coffee beans and was somewhat better than the Princess coffee.

Love the fresh brew coffee in the I. C. on Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

YES

The coffee is MUCH better than I expected....

After all the discussion about this I was very pleased with the Horizon buffet coffee....MUCH better than what is (was?) served on our last Celebrity cruise...

On our last Princess cruise we took our coffee at the cafe in the atrium (forget the name). Our coffee cards were well used.

On our next Princess cruise in Feb we expect to do exactly the same.

Our taste in coffee might not be the same as others so it is not an issue for us to pay and get something different. We do the same on HAL, Celebrity, and the others.

Not a biggie for us. There are other preferences that are much further up our respective lists than the coffee. Life is too short to sweat small items like this...most especially when there is an obvious solution.

Edited by iancal

The coffee in the mdr/buffet isn't so bad if its served right. You need to use a paper cup instead of a ceramic mug. Then add some sweetner, creamer and then let it steep for 2 minutes.

Then toss out the coffer and eat the paper cup. It's much h better this way.:rolleyes::D

The coffee in the mdr/buffet isn't so bad if its served right. You need to use a paper cup instead of a ceramic mug. Then add some sweetner, creamer and then let it steep for 2 minutes.

Then toss out the coffer and eat the paper cup. It's much h better this way.:rolleyes::D

I think that's one of the formal night desserts.