Just how bad is the coffee on Princess ?

The Other Tom

We like the coffee in the dining room, but not in the Horizon Court. If you don't like their free coffee, Princess will happily upgrade to a brewed coffee - for $. This is usually available on the Plaza Deck at the International Cafe.

Edited by Tina G

I'm not into "fancy coffees" and only drink black coffee. After my first Princess cruise, a decade plus ago, I thought there was something seriously wrong with my taste buds until I began reading about purchasing a coffee card to combat the awful dishwater taste. Thus began my collection of coffee cards.

Aboard the Royal and Regal, the coffee in the Horizon Court/Bistro was pretty good, dining room, too. So I didn't need to use my cards. Yes, some of the servers at the Int'l Court will punch the card when I request plain black coffee, others will let it pass.

One would think the a la carte restaurants would serve a better quality coffee, but they seem to serve the syrup, too. Strange, but it's not quite as bad as the high volume Horizon coffee; maybe smaller batches can be equated to less scum/syrup build-up on the brewer! On the CB, I left the table in the Crown Grille, and got a plain black coffee at the IC to go with dessert.

We are doing the Panama canal next month and the coffee cards are tucked next to the boarding passes in my travel portfolio. I also pack the Starbucks instant just in case.....

We Bostonians take our coffee seriously.

Darcy

I don't consider myself a coffee slob. I like Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, Hardees/Carl Junior , Starbucks, Lavazza and a few others. But I absolutely can't stand Bojangles or Maxwell House.

So, what would you compare Princess coffee to ?

I have the same taste for coffee as you, add McDonalds coffee to the like category, but totally agree about what you don't like,

I have no problem with the coffee on Princess, but our TA has been including a Coffee card for each of us lately (along with other perks) so I have been enjoying my morning "Americano". But have no problem with the coffee in Horizon court.

note: we all have different taste buds but anyone who doesn't drink their coffee ...BLACK NO SUGAR... cannot give a true comment on the quality/taste/flavor of coffee.... this in no way is stating what I am saying on coffee is right, only trying to give you an answer based on your acceptable coffee taste.

Edited by bulldog on water

Until recently I was thinking that the coffee (Royal Caribbean and Celebrity) was just "cheap coffee"...I had never heard about syrup coffee.

I'd just treat myself to a coffee from whatever "bistro" there was on the ship in the afternoon.

I LIKE DD coffee and dislike Starbucks, so I guess I'll buy a coffee card for this, our first Princess cruise.

Must be that the cruise lines bean counters have "worked the numbers" and determined that the people who enjoy good coffee are a minority who don't matter...( $$$ )

I am a dedicated coffee drinker and like it fairly strong. I think Princess coffee is fine. On our first Princess cruise I purchased a coffee card and was not impressed. The coffee often tasted burnt. For our second Princess cruise I didn't bother with it. The only reason I would purchase it again would be for convenience, being able to get my coffee from the IC instead of the Horizon in between meals (depending on our room location).

Coffee tastes vary from person to person. I like very strong coffee. We were just on the Coral and I would take my Yeti to the International cafe, have them fill it with black coffee and add a shot of espresso to boost the flavor, not for the extra caffeine. One of our group came up while I was at the coffee bar and mentioned how strong the flavor was of the coffee. I laughed and told him I thought it was too weak and told him the way I ordered. Which one of us was right? Neither! If you look in the coffee isle of a big store there are lots of choices for a reason!

I drink Princess coffee from room service, dining room, horizon court and the bar. Somehow I survive. :D

Agreed! But you can be lucky. On Dawn Princess we were able to get excellent espresso from the Patisserie last August. They had an really good barista there.

On the Aussie-based ships it actually might happen. The coffee culture down here is quite different to the US and many Australians and NZers are passionate about their coffee. Our coffee culture is closest to Italy although we would horrify the Italians by drinking the milk-based espresso drinks at all times of the day, not just in the morning.

I am a fan of good coffee and am surprised, very surprised to hear that being said especially considering the vast growth of the coffee culture here. The variety is practically endless. If Joe down under is that much better I am anxious to try it when we cruise out ofmSydney in Dec. 2017. Of course we will come a week early or so too.

Are there any places you recommend there?

Here practically everywhere you have what amounts to speciality coffee houses even in grocery stores Years back coffee was awful but not now. You can get gourmet choices almost every block.

Anyway for me Princess coffee is like Maxwell "mouse" or awful. I get the coffee card or bring Starbucks via packets. Not bad really.

At home my choice is from Gevalia. The PNG roast is quite good and has its roots literally in Jamaican Blue Mountain seedlings.

Cheers, Larry. :)

On last year's 71 day cruise on the Ocean I found the dining room coffee to be good but the HC coffee to be not drinkable. So we bought instant coffee ashore and a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream for flavor and had good coffee for breakfast and lunch. I found that Costco sells something similar to Bailey's called O'Mara's at about one fourth the cost. Just takes about a tablespoon per cup of coffee so it is also cost effective.

On last year's 71 day cruise on the Ocean I found the dining room coffee to be good but the HC coffee to be not drinkable. So we bought instant coffee ashore and a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream for flavor and had good coffee for breakfast and lunch. I found that Costco sells something similar to Bailey's called O'Mara's at about one fourth the cost. Just takes about a tablespoon per cup of coffee so it is also cost effective.

And then you apparently smuggled the booze onto the ship? Certainly you must be aware of the alcohol policy onboard... If you are smuggling booze onboard it really isn't wise to advertise it in a public forum that is read by Princess employees.

I don't consider myself a coffee slob. I like Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, Hardees/Carl Junior , Starbucks, Lavazza and a few others. But I absolutely can't stand Bojangles or Maxwell House.

So, what would you compare Princess coffee to ?

What would I compare it with?It is in a class of its own:eek:

P.S. Buy the coffee card and get fresh brewed at International Cafe.

Edited by kruisey

And then you apparently smuggled the booze onto the ship? Certainly you must be aware of the alcohol policy onboard... If you are smuggling booze onboard it really isn't wise to advertise it in a public forum that is read by Princess employees.

Funny that you would jump in and accuse me of smuggling booze. Maybe when you become elite you will realize that Princess alcohol policies are not the same world wide. On this trip, from Dover to Rome around Africa, the policy was relaxed; they scanned what you brought aboard but did not raise an eyebrow for wine or other booze.

If its hot and black I'll normally drink it. Whats funny to me (and I realize I'm showing my age) is that before it became stylish to be a coffee snob not so many years ago the hottest trend in coffee WAS coffee made from syrup. I think it was melita that started selling kits to make your own syrup. But they were all over in any event. for the most part Princess coffee is two things. First its just like any other coffee produced for several thousand folks (think hotel banquet) and secondly gives folks something to talk about. After all without something to criticize, ther would be no cruise critics. As with all things cruise critic folks tend to get carried away.