Just how bad is the coffee on Princess ?

The Other Tom

The coffee on Princess is bad enough that we began to joke that their strategy to upsell a coffee card is to serve bad coffee for free. :) On the other hand, it was not so bad as to cause me to quit drinking it. :) Another poster stated that it is better than airline coffee, and I do agree with that!

I am interested to learn about the "coffee syrup" -- that explains the cup of sludge that I got one evening.

ONE would think that the cruise lines would "improve" the coffee.....BUT, I think they just don't give a D**N

Really, how hard to just BREW THE DAMN COFFEE...

Certainly enough complaints about it.

I ALWAYS make a comment on the comment cards. (15 cruises later still the same swill)

Maybe it's time to UPGRADE THE CRUISE LINE WE USE

ONE would think that the cruise lines would "improve" the coffee.....BUT, I think they just don't give a D**N

Really, how hard to just BREW THE DAMN COFFEE...

Certainly enough complaints about it.

I ALWAYS make a comment on the comment cards. (15 cruises later still the same swill)

Maybe it's time to UPGRADE THE CRUISE LINE WE USE

Maybe it is time that Princess put one-cup coffeemakers in the room, that is, the single-cup ones.

Maybe it is time that Princess put one-cup coffeemakers in the room, that is, the single-cup ones.

Even the designer of the Keurig Coffee Maker regrets his "invention". It was in the news. He said that it left too large a carbon print (my words). Can you imagine the amount of trash this would create for a ship?

How bad is the coffee? It's not the best. Of course mass production of coffee is never a good idea. But buy yourself a coffee card and enjoy a good cup whenever you want it.

Even the designer of the Keurig Coffee Maker regrets his "invention". It was in the news. He said that it left too large a carbon print (my words). Can you imagine the amount of trash this would create for a ship?

How bad is the coffee? It's not the best. Of course mass production of coffee is never a good idea. But buy yourself a coffee card and enjoy a good cup whenever you want it.

If it was "whenever I want it", there wouldn't be a problem. However, it can be a bit of a trek and a wait sometimes, so I make other arrangements (and I have plenty of coffee cards, btw).

Probably not a great deal of trash, if they used ceramic coffee cups. It would be more work for the stewards for no or negative revenue, which is why they won't do it. I don't mean K-cups, those soft pads like you find in hotels are very common as well.

Edited by Wehwalt

I don't consider myself a coffee slob. I like Dunkin Donuts, Folgers, Hardees/Carl Junior , Starbucks, Lavazza and a few others. But I absolutely can't stand Bojangles or Maxwell House.

So, what would you compare Princess coffee to ?

I do not drink coffee personally, but my husband does and he has always liked the coffee served in the Horizon Court. He is not very picky - at home he drinks Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts, and Folgers. He doesn't like Starbucks. He said that Princess coffee is similar to the coffee that he gets on the gaming floor in Las Vegas (if that helps).

After having the coffee on Princess, Royal,HAL, NCL, Celebrity, Carnival cruisesl we switched to English Breakfast Tea ( each pot with 2 tea bags) in the mornings and coffee card for Princess around Noon or so on Sea Days. When in port, we look for a local coffee bar which may incidentally have free wifi.

AS the other posters said it may be the water, maybe the milk, I don,t use sugar. We,re booked on the Regal in October so thanks for the heads up on that!

How good or bad is the coffee? Just like the never-ending "Food" thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2398734)it's all a bit subjective.

So here's my $0.02.

I always buy a coffee card as it also entitles me to free fresh brew as well as 15 premium beverages at the IC (or 16 if they forget to punch your card). Never do MDR, but on the Regal the coffee in HC is grounds rather than the concentrate on the other Princess cruises we've been on - but tbh, it's all 'free' and gives me the required caffeine hit to kick-start the metabolism.

The espresso beverages in the IC aren't bad - on par with those from St*rb*cks (and at least the beans aren't over-roasted to within an inch of their lives and consequently bitter). Whether your latte is a latte or flat white generally depends how pressed your over-worked barista staff are.

My recommendation? Try it and then come back and tell us what you think...

Princess has had syrup coffee at least since Grand entered service

in 1997. What makes now the time, as opposed to sometime in

the past (nearly) 20 years?

Princess has had syrup coffee at least since Grand entered service

in 1997. What makes now the time, as opposed to sometime in

the past (nearly) 20 years?

If the demographic they are trying to attract would like it, they would do it. People have taken more of an interest in coffee since Starbucks. After all, they did put non-syrup coffee machines on the Regal and Royal.

Edited by Wehwalt

We live in the land of Starbucks and can’t stand the stuff. In fact, I prefer the syrup coffee on Princess over Starbucks. I always bring a handful of Irish Cream single serving creamers when we go on a cruise, like these. https://www.dealscube.com/listing/international-delight-irish-creme-288-count-single-serve-coffee-creamers/22084 they make the coffee better, not that It’s bad. I use them at home also.

These threads about coffee are getting "old." As with all food and drink, it is a matter of taste. If you don't like the coffee, drink something else.

This goes for the majority of threads on CC......over abundance.

I enjoy the banter, I guess if you don't like the discussion don't partake. ;)

These threads about coffee are getting "old." As with all food and drink, it is a matter of taste. If you don't like the coffee, drink something else.

You can usually tell what a thread is about before you click it by reading the thread title. Makes it easier to avoid topics not of interest.