What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

You can only bid up 2 categories...I just spoke to NCL yesterday. Took our chances on a guaranteed oceanview and got one of the "anchor cabins"...not going to chance getting stuck in one of those with the bidding process so we simply upgraded to a balcony.

I"m sure this has been asked and answered many times, but this thread is sooooo long and I couldn't find it in the search, so forgive me if it's repetitive:

If you chose to PAY for an UPGRADE do you get to keep your original booking perk?

We booked an inside cabin this past summer for the 2/11/2018 Pearl cruise out of NO. We have a bid in for a balcony, but like you, would rather just pay for the upgrade to a balcony guarantee than keep the dice rolling on the bids we have placed.

Thanks!

Just curious why you didn't say this earlier rather than referring to the FAQ's.

Because you seemed to not want to read the FAQs but I'm old school enough to expect that others want to read things for themselves. Baby boomers do their research millennials need spoon feeding. Not a clue where you fall but just saying it was clearly laid out on the bid offer

I'm curious why you would believe what others say...even if true...without bothering to confirm them via the ncl website. I know lots of great info is share on CC BUT the upgrade bid offers if accepted are BINDING...thus cost you $$$$..so it's clearly something that every pax really should research for themselves imho

Did you even read the offer in detail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because you seemed to not want to read the FAQs but I'm old school enough to expect that others want to read things for themselves. Baby boomers do their research millennials need spoon feeding. Not a clue where you fall but just saying it was clearly laid out on the bid offer

I'm curious why you would believe what others say...even if true...without bothering to confirm them via the ncl website. I know lots of great info is share on CC BUT the upgrade bid offers if accepted are BINDING...thus cost you $$$$..so it's clearly something that every pax really should research for themselves imho

Did you even read the offer in detail?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you meant this response to me as if I , the original OP to the perks question had ask , however I was not the one that posted the question you are responding to. That was westview1900.

As to my age and research practices. I am neither a boomer nor a millennial. I normally do tons of research reading various sources. This again was a last minute booking Wednesday, first time NCL (as I stated originally), and today I get an invite for the bid. Not knowing how quickly I need to act on this bid , or exactly how this works after reading the T&C posted her for clarification.

As you can see even you yourself can mis read or over look certain details.

Thanks for all the advice and assumptions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I"m sure this has been asked and answered many times, but this thread is sooooo long and I couldn't find it in the search, so forgive me if it's repetitive:

If you chose to PAY for an UPGRADE do you get to keep your original booking perk?

We booked an inside cabin this past summer for the 2/11/2018 Pearl cruise out of NO. We have a bid in for a balcony, but like you, would rather just pay for the upgrade to a balcony guarantee than keep the dice rolling on the bids we have placed.

Thanks!

This question was answered literally less than 2 hours before you asked the question. Please read the thread.

This question was answered literally less than 2 hours before you asked the question. Please read the thread.

Thanks Mike, that was extremely helpful. Please read my post again.

Perhaps I needed to word it differently. I understand the bidding process of upgrades and keeping your perks.

My question refers to: Bypassing the bidding system and go through my T to purchase a higher grade cabin the old fashioned way of just paying for it outright. With every other cruise line, you call, pay the difference between the existing booking and the new cabin request, keep your perks and all is well.

Perhaps I needed to word it differently. I understand the bidding process of upgrades and keeping your perks.

My question refers to: Bypassing the bidding system and go through my T to purchase a higher grade cabin the old fashioned way of just paying for it outright. With every other cruise line, you call, pay the difference between the existing booking and the new cabin request, keep your perks and all is well.

Hi, I wonder if someone had a bad day or.... whatever.

To answer your question... it's really hard to know the answer since they will have

many cabins marked as "sold out", even if not. I would definitely call your TA and

ask them to be the "go-between" with NCL to get an answer. Keep in mind though, some

TAs have opted out of the program and they may refuse. However, you

may be able to select a cabin which you prefer instead of taking what is assigned

through the bidding program. For the perks, it will depend which way you end up

doing it, if you do decide to do it through bidding, you'll just keep your perks,

if you decide to opt out of the bidding program and just pay the difference, you

may end up with more perks... unsure of the outcome. Good luck and hope you end

up with a nice cabin.

Cheers

To answer your question... it's really hard to know the answer since they will have

many cabins marked as "sold out", even if not. I would definitely call your TA and

ask them to be the "go-between" with NCL to get an answer. Keep in mind though, some

may be able to select a cabin which you prefer instead of taking what is assigned

doing it, if you do decide to do it through bidding, you'll just keep your perks,

if you decide to opt out of the bidding program and just pay the difference, you

up with a nice cabin.

Cheers

I upgraded on my last trip by calling in. It was treated as if it were a new sale, I gave up some perks but saved money. My upcoming cruise I bid on the uograde. This time perks don't change.

up with a nice cabin.

Cheers

Hi All-Ready!

That was my first thought too when I read the first response to my question. Maybe he didn't mean for it to sound like a terse flame burst. It's ok.

I normally book directly with the cruise line. This time Travelocity actually had a terrific price with a nice perk. I plan on calling their cruise consultant tomorrow to see what the options might be.

My example would be: Had an OV on a Celebrity sailing. Upgraded to a Balcony for $88.00 and kept all the special perks that I already had with my booking.

Honestly, I thought my question was simple and needed only a simple answer. Had anyone experienced a regular upgrade - not one involved with the bidding at all - and did they get to keep their original perk or was it nullified with the new booking. It wasn't my intention to flame a fire.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all ~

If you pay retail price then you get the current promotions on the day you upgrade.

For example - if you booked when the “get all 5” promo was going and now choose to pay retail to move up in category, you would get today’s promotions. Meaning you would only get 2 promos (assuming balcony or higher).

If you pay retail price then you get the current promotions on the day you upgrade.

For example - if you booked when the “get all 5” promo was going and now choose to pay retail to move up in category, you would get today’s promotions. Meaning you would only get 2 promos (assuming balcony or higher).

Thanks Mike! That answer helps a lot. If that's what we'd get, we'll surely be paying retail and move on up. Thanks again

Leaving on Escape Jan. 20th. Currently booked in a BF balcony. Paid $2158 for 2 people $2577.78 including service charge(?) Placed a bid of $430 pp on H5 Courtyard Penthouse with balcony, currently showing SOLD OUT. Aft-facing Penthouse H7 $850pp. Forward facing Penthouse $850 pp, SOLD OUT. Haven Spa Suite H9 $850pp, currently SOLD OUT. A mini suite for $125pp, there are about 10 spa mini suites, 1 mini suite with large balcony and 2 midship mini suites with balconies left. The only reason I'm bidding on mini suites is for the spa mini suite. Will update on winning bids or denials. Either way, I've NEVER had a bad cruise. First with NCL.

Good luck! I’ll be interested to know if one of your bids is accepted. Fingers crossed!

I’ve booked Breakaway in 2019 in a mini-suite and hope to bid for the Haven.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Ncl cruisers! New to NCL so I am not familiar with any polices etc. I just booked Ncl Epic for March on Wednesday. Today I get an bidding invite. I booked an inside guarantee with 1 free at sea. If I bid and win do I receive another free at sea option with the upgrade or still just keep the 1? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

You keep whatever came with your original booking, in your case, the 1 free at sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!

R U trying to upgrade from an inside with a perk (promo) to a BX balcony with no perks and expecting to keep your perk?

No, if you want to upgrade your room by paying the then-current price for the more expensive room, you get whatever the then-current perks are for the new room. NCL essentially treats it like a new booking.

I'm copying Caribsun's format.

Ship: NCL Star

Destination: Panama Canal (2 weeks)

Sail Date: 02/16/2018

Original room: BA deck 11 (angled balcony I think)

Bid for: SG ($840), SF ($890), SE ($870), SC ($950), SB ($1050) --- All in poor range

Bid Range for SF: $300-$2500

RESULT: SF Accepted

I checked yesterday and all suites were showing sold out so I thought I probably had not won the bid. But this afternoon received the acceptance email. Now this sailing is not even listed so it must be completely sold out.

The good news is that the Aft Balcony is twice the size of the BA balcony and has a "wrap" balcony (there is a side walkway to the side of the ship) and the bad is that the cabin is above the Spinnaker Lounge (so noise will be a problem). But I stay up late so it shouldn't be too bad (keeping my fingers crossed).

I hadn't seen any aft balconies available for some time but originally they were priced around $4499pp. With the bid upgrade, I paid $2489pp.

The other suites were going down in price by $1000 (for instance the 2-bedroom family suite SC was originally $4599 and then listed for $3399).

I'm doing the PC Feb. 2nd cruise and had a Balcony(bb) I placed a bid for aft balcony for $420 pp next day of getting email offer. Didn't think i would get it or not hear anything til close to cruise date. Well to my shock it was accepted 2 days later. And bigger surprise we got the aft balcony (sf) the one with wrap around deck. I am ecstatic. Haven't told my hubby yet want to surprise him.;p I have researched it and aware of spinnaker right below us but hoping it won't be to bad with noise- guess if their really loud we will just have to go down and party with them. lol Can't wait to experience the suite life

R U trying to upgrade from an inside with a perk (promo) to a BX balcony with no perks and expecting to keep your perk?

No, not at all. I'm not trying to cheat the system at all or get around the perk thing. So,

yes to the first part of your question, and no I'm not asking for a BX, but a category BD. It's also categorized as a guarantee, and if it was/is purchased as a new booking, it qualifies for perks.

My confusion is hard to describe, because well, it's confusing ;p. In my mind, when we are bidding for a category upgrade, it's basically a "guarantee" b/c you don't get to pick your cabin - and it states you get to keep your perks, just don't get any new ones. Ok. I get that. NCL will happily accept and charge my credit card if I win the bid.

So how is it different if I call and want to pay for a category upgrade like we used to do in the old days. I'm not asking for any additional perks, just to keep my existing one - which you would be allowed to do with the bidding or in the old days. But NCL says I can't do that through them, but through my original TA. My TA has tried to do this, and after 3 hours, the best NCL was willing to do was allow me to upgrade 3 categories and charge me for TWO perks service charges... and one of the choices couldn't be the ultimate drink package (which is what we have now)........HUH?

The poor agent I was working with was so patient and kind, and as confused as I was. Her supervisor and resolution consultant couldn't get a straight answer either. Ever person they were put in touch with at NCL - supervisors included - gave them different answers.

They will take my money if I win the bid, but they won't take it if I am wanting to do a simple cabin category upgrade. I think it's their way of rolling the dice hoping to get more dollars with the bidding system than the price posted on the website.

Bet all that is clear as mud .... 30+ cruises, Latitude Platinum and I have never had this much trouble changing a category with any other cruise line - ever.

Thanks for letting me vent ;-)

Edited by punkinlr

Been on several different cruise lines but this is my second NCL cruise. A couple of questions.

1) Do they contact guests randomly to get these emails or do you have to let them know in advance?

2) Would you get an email if you booked through a travel agent?

Thanks

This will be my 5th ncl cruise sailing NCL Star Panama Canal 2-2-18 -1st time to get a email offer for bidding upgrade -I booked with a large group of people with a travel agent. I bid immediately and I got my bid accepted 2 days later from bb catagory to sf aft suite balcony I am silver latitudes member. My bid was $420 pp Wasnt sure what I was doing or what it was and how it worked but thought what the heck I really wanted an aft balcony for 2 weeks to go thru the canal and see everything' Didnt think I would get it plus its a suite!! I am very happy. ( my TA had never dealt with this bidding thing so was no help) so clueless like rest of us- also have Next Cruise deposits on my account - not sure if any of this means anything in who they send offers to bid to? hope this helps others to figure out, but I suspect when we all do they will change things LOL

This will be my 5th ncl cruise sailing NCL Star Panama Canal 2-2-18 -1st time to get a email offer for bidding upgrade -I booked with a large group of people with a travel agent. I bid immediately and I got my bid accepted 2 days later from bb category to sf aft suite balcony I am silver latitudes member. My bid was $420 pp Wasn't sure what I was doing or what it was and how it worked but thought what the heck I really wanted an aft balcony for 2 weeks to go thru the canal and see everything' Didn't think I would get it plus its a suite!! I am very happy. ( my TA had never dealt with this bidding thing so was no help) so clueless like rest of us- also have Next Cruise deposits on my account - not sure if any of this means anything in who they send offers to bid to? hope this helps others to figure out, but I suspect when we all do they will change things LOL

No, not at all. I'm not trying to cheat the system at all or get around the perk thing. So,

yes to the first part of your question, and no I'm not asking for a BX, but a category BD. It's also categorized as a guarantee, and if it was/is purchased as a new booking, it qualifies for perks.

My confusion is hard to describe, because well, it's confusing ;p. In my mind, when we are bidding for a category upgrade, it's basically a "guarantee" b/c you don't get to pick your cabin - and it states you get to keep your perks, just don't get any new ones. Ok. I get that. NCL will happily accept and charge my credit card if I win the bid.

So how is it different if I call and want to pay for a category upgrade like we used to do in the old days. I'm not asking for any additional perks, just to keep my existing one - which you would be allowed to do with the bidding or in the old days. But NCL says I can't do that through them, but through my original TA. My TA has tried to do this, and after 3 hours, the best NCL was willing to do was allow me to upgrade 3 categories and charge me for TWO perks service charges... and one of the choices couldn't be the ultimate drink package (which is what we have now)........HUH?

The poor agent I was working with was so patient and kind, and as confused as I was. Her supervisor and resolution consultant couldn't get a straight answer either. Ever person they were put in touch with at NCL - supervisors included - gave them different answers.

They will take my money if I win the bid, but they won't take it if I am wanting to do a simple cabin category upgrade. I think it's their way of rolling the dice hoping to get more dollars with the bidding system than the price posted on the website.

Bet all that is clear as mud .... 30+ cruises, Latitude Platinum and I have never had this much trouble changing a category with any other cruise line - ever.

Thanks for letting me vent ;-)

I'm trying to follow what you're doing.

If you're trying to upgrade using the bid system, that's an automated process done online directly between you and NCL. No travel agent, just you and NCL.

If you're trying to upgrade by changing your reservation and you paid via a travel agent (I guess you used travelocity), that's a non-automated process between you and travelocity; the carriers don't work with you once you've enrolled that way. Same with airlines, hotels, almost anything. Once you book through a TA the actual carrier won't work directly with you on your reservation for changes.

BD is not a guarantee, only BX. If you are trying to make an "offer" through your TA or even NCL direct, that will not work. Nothing about the way it was previously handled with the upgrade fairy is valid anymore. But if you are trying to pay the published difference, that is 100% allowed. I've upgraded by paying the difference 4 times in the last year.

I'm doing the PC Feb. 2nd cruise and had a Balcony(bb) I placed a bid for aft balcony for $420 pp next day of getting email offer. Didn't think i would get it or not hear anything til close to cruise date. Well to my shock it was accepted 2 days later. And bigger surprise we got the aft balcony (sf) the one with wrap around deck. I am ecstatic. Haven't told my hubby yet want to surprise him.;p I have researched it and aware of spinnaker right below us but hoping it won't be to bad with noise- guess if their really loud we will just have to go down and party with them. lol Can't wait to experience the suite life

That’s an awesome upgrade for a 14 day cruise, you guys are gonna be so spoiled. And they didn’t keep you waiting for weeks on end to find out. Also, I like your attitude about Spinnakers.

Good luck keeping that one a surprise, that’s going to be tuffclear.png?emoji-tearsjoy-1678

BD is not a guarantee, only BX. If you are trying to make an "offer" through your TA or even NCL direct, that will not work. Nothing about the way it was previously handled with the upgrade fairy is valid anymore. But if you are trying to pay the published difference, that is 100% allowed. I've upgraded by paying the difference 4 times in the last year.

Yes, all I want to do is pay the published difference for the BD category and keep my existing promo that I received when I first booked. I was told by NCL on my first of many phone calls that yes, I could do this and it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, apparently it is, because no one is able to get it done. NCL said TR would have to do it. TR can't do it because NCL won't allow them to open the booking and complete the request. Even supervisor's supervisors were trying to figure out what was going on and getting the run around from everyone they talk to at NCL.

It just can't be this hard folks. Call agent. Request a category change and pay the published price difference, and promo follows. I've done this many times and have never had a problem with any other cruise line or agency.

I fully understand the bidding process. In fact, I have a bid in.

What bothers me the most: NCL will happily charge my credit card that they took when I made the bid. They can complete the change, promos kept, all is good.

However, if I want to go ahead and cancel my bid and just pay the published price difference for a category upgrade, NCL isn't able to happily charge my credit card.

They can do the bid transaction, but not the other.....??? Why not the other?? It would be the same process...right? And the answer shouldn't have anything to do with my original booking agent if NCL is processing the charge transaction if I win the bid....

Lucy has some s'plaining to do. And I have dinner to cook. ;p

** If you do a fake booking under the Balcony BD category, you'll see that you get to choose 2 promos, then the screen where you would normally choose your cabin - It shows it as a guarantee. It's more expensive than the Sail Away Guarantee balcony b/c they allow promos in this guarantee cabin category.

Maybe that is why, there is little availability left on that cruise. The only time I have ever got the screen you mentioned without picking out a room is when they are essentially none left, and yes it is then like a guarantee. I wouldn't be surprised if that category shows to be sold out soon. There does appear to be rooms to pick out for that cruise for a mid ship balcony, but it is considerably more expensive. But to test the theory you could see if they would allow an upgrade to that. Maybe you'll have luck with your bid.

Maybe that is why, there is little availability left on that cruise. The only time I have ever got the screen you mentioned without picking out a room is when they are essentially none left, and yes it is then like a guarantee. I wouldn't be surprised if that category shows to be sold out soon. There does appear to be rooms to pick out for that cruise for a mid ship balcony, but it is considerably more expensive. But to test the theory you could see if they would allow an upgrade to that. Maybe you'll have luck with your bid.

Maybe so. It's been a GTY for as long as I've been looking, but that's only been a few weeks. Were you able to keep your existing promos or did you have to upgrade even more to keep them? For me now, it's more of the principal of the thing rather than the perk/promo. If you win a bid you get to keep your promo, but if you want to pay, you don't.

I too, have upgraded many times - on Celebrity and others by paying the published price difference, and never lost a thing in the process.

Win or lose, upgrade or bid.... I'll still be on the ship with my DH and great friends ready to have an amazing time.