Check in times...do they enforce these?

crazyboutdisney

Is this new to NCL?

It has been going on for at least two or thee years. (Maybe longer) Every cruise we have done recently we needed to pick an arrival time and I have never seen it enforced or even asked about. We have been anywhere from very early to very late to the time we picked and have still never been asked about it.

Frankly to me it doesn't make any sense that they do it at all.

Joe

It has been going on for at least two or thee years. (Maybe longer) Every cruise we have done recently we needed to pick an arrival time and I have never seen it enforced or even asked about. We have been anywhere from very early to very late to the time we picked and have still never been asked about it.

Frankly to me it doesn't make any sense that they do it at all.

Joe

Ya that seems kind of silly! Carnival does this and it’s usually enforced. Or at least all the cruises we done since they started were enforced. I have read where others weren’t. They checked your boarding pass and if it wasn’t your time you had to stand in another line until they would let you enter the terminal

Ya that seems kind of silly! Carnival does this and it’s usually enforced. Or at least all the cruises we done since they started were enforced. I have read where others weren’t. They checked your boarding pass and if it wasn’t your time you had to stand in another line until they would let you enter the terminal

That's just nuts to me! :) If you are early I suppose they could enforce it..but what if you are late? Do they make you get into a time machine and dial it back for an hour or two? ;)

Happy New Year!

Joe

With the Escape coming to NYC I wonder if they will begin enforcing arrival times at least for that ship. I just can't imagine how another 1000 people can squeeze in that tiny terminal. Last fall it was a complete disaster just getting to the terminal, nevermind the mass of humanity squeezed in there when we arrived.

Maybe they'll move away from pier 88 and adopt the 2 pier approach used in Miami?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe they'll move away from pier 88 and adopt the 2 pier approach used in Miami?

that will never work. NYC uses a "finger pier" system unlike the normal piers that Miami and other ports have. Both times i sailed on the Breakaway out of pier 88, i noticed they were using the whole terminal. Odd deck cabins like deck 5,7,9,11 were checking in at the back of the terminal and boarding on the AFT gangway. Even deck cabins like deck 6,8,10 were checking in at the front of the terminal and boarding on the FWD gangway. Using this system, the checkin and boarding process seemed more efficient and faster. I have a feeling they might use the same way for the Escape

The Brooklyn Terminal seems a little bit bigger to the pier 88/90.it seems more like a seasonal terminal with not that many ships using it.

First time on NCL, sailing on the Getaway and we selected a check in time of 930-10. Just curious if they enforce this at all or allow anyone in during this time?

They have not enforced it in the past, however that doesn't mean that they will not start enforcing it. The way other lines work, you can come on or after your time, just not before. With a 9:30 time, even if they enforce it you should have nothing to worry about.

Is this new to NCL?

somewhat but not totally. As for enforcing, I have yet to see them enforcing it. We were the Breakaway last April, I don't think anyone was paying any attention. On our Pearl cruise in Nov the same. The reason and it makes sense they are attempting to get an idea who is checking in when, it to better process everyone in a timely manner. No one is going to lose sleep over a family saying noon and showing up an hour before or after. Also you will notice there often isn't even many time slots available.

It was most certainly enforced on the Getaway last month. As we entered the terminal, passengers with later check-in times were being turned away and directed to stand outside until their designated time.

It was about 40 degrees in Miami that morning, there were quite a few unhappy people, to which I say "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS1"

I wasn’t worried or concerned, I was just curious if NCL did it the same as Carnival. And yes we are anxious to get on board. This is our first sailing w NCL and we are excited to check it out.

We always like to board NCL in time for lunch because they always have one main dining room open, and several other places like O'Sheehan's (we hate eating in a crowded buffet). On other lines, we eat before we board and board later.

It was most certainly enforced on the Getaway last month. As we entered the terminal, passengers with later check-in times were being turned away and directed to stand outside until their designated time.

It was about 40 degrees in Miami that morning, there were quite a few unhappy people, to which I say "FOLLOW DIRECTIONS1"

Interesting! I wonder will the enforcement continue. On my first cruise I was late booking it and didn't realise there was any benefit to doing the online check in ASAP. So as a result the earliest check in time I was offered was noon.

This time I did online check in before I even paid off my cruise (I have until 30 days out ). This time I was offered the 9:30am checkin option and I took it. I guess I'll see if the enforcement is still in place at the end of February

To a large extent it has more to do with when you get thrown out of your pre cruise hotel than anything else, plus some people would rather wait in line in the terminal, than enjoy a few extra hours by the pool at their hotel.

I agree. As an early riser, we would be up and had breakfast and just killing time at the hotel or killing time in the terminal.

I got on the ship very late in the day once (not by choice) and the place was packed and I barely had time to get something to eat before muster. There was zero line at the terminal but lines everywhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agree completely. No matter when you arrive, the Haven guests, the handicapped and the platinum are going to be first to board. Add to that, like you said, we have a week to party, you can't get in your cabins until,at least 1pm and so you check 10am arrival, what are you really gaining? We are not talking about boarding at 9am versus 5pm, we are talking about an hour or so: maybe time for 1 drink.

I am gaining a start on my vacation and I don't mind waiting in the terminal. Yeah, maybe I will grab a drink, but maybe I like to check out the ship and take pictures before the crowds roll in or maybe I like to grab a seat in an area I prefer or lunch before all the tables are taken, but really it is my business why I prefer to choose the early check-in. What are you gaining by showing up later other than maybe not waiting at the terminal so long, but you know what - that is your decision to make and I don't need to understand your reasons for choosing to arrive later do I? What I don't understand is why it bothers anyone that people like to arrive early or not. Would you rather everyone show up at the same time you do so that you then have to wait in line a little longer?

Interesting take on starting vacation. Mine begins as soon as the plane takes off from home, not when I board the ship. Simply a different prespective in looking at teh same thing, but I sure don't consider sitting in a hotel on a Florida beach as NOT part of my vacation.

I actually like staggered check in.

I don't. I have paid for the first day and want to be on the boat as soon as possible. I don't want to have paid for 4 hours waiting to be able to board.

If it was me alone (like it is going to be this summer to Bermuda), I would get on the boat first thing. My husband does not like the idea of maybe there being a crowd and pushing or anything noisy, so this month we will have a leisurely breakfast in Miami and get there about noon and hopefully it will be quiet. He is so weird.