canada: what are the boxes at the end of the driveway?

luckyinpa

in halifax and saint john i saw some very ornate wooden boxes at the end of a lot of driveways. is this for rocksalt in the winter?

Those are Beaver feeders. To keep the Beavers out of the backyards and away from the domestic animals they place the feeders at the end of the driveways. It also provides easier access for the Beavers from the designated Beaver lanes that run along the side of many of the streets in Atlantic Canada.

Those are Beaver feeders. To keep the Beavers out of the backyards and away from the domestic animals they place the feeders at the end of the driveways. It also provides easier access for the Beavers from the designated Beaver lanes that run along the side of many of the streets in Atlantic Canada.

Oh stop it, you :D :D :D

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.5784839,-52.7765823,3a,30y,91.78h,88.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTQNkN2NE69TMp_SoWFVG8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

The large wooden box on the left is for living in.

I don't know what the smaller wooden box on the right is for, but a lot of houses in Newfoundland have them.

JB :)

Likely garbage bins. We are in northern Canada and we have large metal blue bins(wooden ones wouldn't keep the bears out). I'm from The Atlantic and if it's what I'm picturing than it's definitely for garbage pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i thought garbage but i'm positive i saw normal trash cans next to them too. or maybe it was recycling. ill have to see if any of my pics contain the boxes. we tried to get pics of decorative lighthouses on lawns.

i saw them on my drive out to peggys cove and also to st martin. all shapes and sizes. some very nice like in post 9 above. others just willy nilly wood hammered together. and not every single home has them so if its garbage, what do the other homes do for trash?

if this link works it shows one

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3321003,-65.834593,3a,40.9y,200.59h,84.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWRwASH8oerpC4lh5IJvlQA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

this has 2 in the pic. 3 if you scroll around to neighbors

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3311812,-65.8319247,3a,75y,175.57h,103.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTG1vD8n6vrbIIg8b0qSToQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.32901,-65.8244588,3a,75y,24.31h,92.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPZJHXNCL9d31Gfmf-4qu1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

wish i could find some of the more ornate ones

so now the question is, do you carry bags of trash down or do you have another trash can you wheel down and dump stuff in? and why even do this at all vs 'take down the trash' on trash day like we all do here in USA?

obviously there are no HOAs up there complaining about cans being out past 7pm at night lol

In NS it varies by county but most garbage is put in clear plastic bags (so you can't hide stuff that should be recycled) and then people put the bags in the large boxes to protect them from predators (crows, racoons, etc.) Organics are put in large rolling green bins. Where I live recyclables go in clear bags as well. One week the pick up is for garbage and organics and the next week is for recyclables.

I was thinking garbage boxes but the ornate part threw me ;)

In rural areas people use them as said above to keep out the critters or at least slow them down

not fun to come out tin the morning & find your garbage all over the road ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.5784839,-52.7765823,3a,30y,91.78h,88.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTQNkN2NE69TMp_SoWFVG8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

The large wooden box on the left is for living in.

I don't know what the smaller wooden box on the right is for, but a lot of houses in Newfoundland have them.

JB :)

Garbage boxes. The hexagonal shape prevents them from blowing around on a windy day.

Hi

The ones in the pictures look like they are for garbage. Yes, those ones wouldn't keep out bear, might keep out raccoons.

We have standardized bins (garbage and recycle) for an automated truck pick up and not allowed to put them out until the day before. We live in a rural area as well. I can well imagine some people wanting something more ornate.

Bahahahahahahahaha. Love this answer!

Hi

The ones in the pictures look like they are for garbage. Yes, those ones wouldn't keep out bear, might keep out raccoons.

We have standardized bins (garbage and recycle) for an automated truck pick up and not allowed to put them out until the day before. We live in a rural area as well. I can well imagine some people wanting something more ornate.

'in the sticks' is what i call the drive between saint john and st martins. im assuming everyone has a generator and a 4wd. everything seems so far from civilization. basic shopping , doctors etc. i admit i couldnt do it unless i was an isolationist. also its funny that we saw moose warning signs but the only thing we saw was a gigantic skunk that was so furry it must have had its winter coat on. i really wanted to see moose!

As others have stated, they are for garbage....in the country, if you put out garbage in bags, they are usually ripped open by raccoons, porcupines, crows, etc. So you keep the bags in your shed/outbuilding until garbage day, then put the bags in those wooden bins. The garbage cans beside them are "green bins" for compostables.