Can my 20 year old drink?

Exhaling

We are taking the Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas cruise from March 21-25. My daughter turns 21 on March 25th. I know that according to RCI, she has to be 21 to drink on the ship. I know that she can not drink in Key West. I know drink in Nassau. She is curious if she could drink in CocoCay? Mom did not know this answer.....I am assuming no because it is a private island owned by RCI. I checked the boards and I found old info. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

The parents can sign a waiver for drinking wine and beer only. No hard alcohol

Thank you for your response. Is that for CocoCay or do you know anyone from the US that has signed this waiver? On the website it states that it only applies to Europe and South American departures.

"Effective on all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

On cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages. Please note: Waivers will be provided to parents upon check-in.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice."

CAN she, or MAY she????? Yes, she can...but it's not "allowed" on Coco cay...it's an "extension" of the ship's rules and you have to be 21. Can you give her a drink? Sure! It happens. I'm not against 18 year olds drinking....when I was 18, it was legal!

In other ports, 18 is the normal drinking age...maybe younger...who knows?

We were on a Celebrity Cruise (2009) for my daughter's 21st birthday. At 12:01 am on her birthday she went to the front desk with passport in hand to have her stateroom key/card changed so that she could purchase a birthday drink....they denied her. She was told to come back at 9:00 am when the supervisor came on duty! At 9:00 am the supervisor made the change and she was free to purchase.

CAN she, or MAY she????? Yes, she can...but it's not "allowed" on Coco cay...it's an "extension" of the ship's rules and you have to be 21. Can you give her a drink? Sure! It happens. I'm not against 18 year olds drinking....when I was 18, it was legal!

In other ports, 18 is the normal drinking age...maybe younger...who knows?

Thanks CB, I appreciate your response. When I was 18, I was alcohol free but 20 was a different story. LOL. With it being so close to her birthday and being on an island vacation I am feeling more lenient. She is a full time college student, works, and has her own apartment so I view her as an adult too. I was wondering how strict they would be. Thanks again.

We were on a Celebrity Cruise (2009) for my daughter's 21st birthday. At 12:01 am on her birthday she went to the front desk with passport in hand to have her stateroom key/card changed so that she could purchase a birthday drink....they denied her. She was told to come back at 9:00 am when the supervisor came on duty! At 9:00 am the supervisor made the change and she was free to purchase.

Little beach-

She was hoping to do that. Since we depart the next day it wouldn't be worth it if that happens. You have saved her the frustration.

I signed a form not allowing my 18 yr. old to drink while on the ship. He ordered buckets of beers, charged them to my account, also something I signed to disallow, but apparently RCCL doesn't follow through. No help from bursar/concierge desk when I got my end of cruise bill.

The parents can sign a waiver for drinking wine and beer only. No hard alcohol

The waiver is only offered for cruises out of non-North American ports. The waiver won't be available for the OP's cruise.

The waiver is only offered for cruises out of non-North American ports. The waiver won't be available for the OP's cruise.

Sorry about that. When did they change the policy? My cousins were able to sign a waiver for their twins on a cruise out of FLL which allowed beer and wine. Their kids were 20.

Sorry about that. When did they change the policy? My cousins were able to sign a waiver for their twins on a cruise out of FLL which allowed beer and wine. Their kids were 20.

Its been that way for years. I had read that it used to be true, but hasnt been as long as Iv been back to cruising.

Not sure how many years ago, but a long time ago.

It was probably not RCI your cousins were on. Carnival is the only major line that has that policy out of North American ports. I researched the alcohol policy last December because I was traveling with 20 year olds. That being said I have found that the alcohol age policy is spottily enoficed on most lines.

It was probably not RCI your cousins were on. Carnival is the only major line that has that policy out of North American ports. I researched the alcohol policy last December because I was traveling with 20 year olds. That being said I have found that the alcohol age policy is spottily enoficed on most lines.

Carnival is more strict on ages and drinking than RCL. They dont have a waiver out of North American ports .

RCL is the one who used to have that waiver, but now only has it for European ports..not U.S.

Carnival is more strict on ages and drinking than RCL. They dont have a waiver out of North American ports .

RCL is the one who used to have that waiver, but now only has it for European ports..not U.S.

You are correct, I mixed up our cruises. It is NCL that still has a waiver policy for 18 - 20 year olds. Can't believe I have now been on enough cruises to forget which one was which.

RCCL most definitely does NOT have a waiver for 18-20 for North American cruises anymore. Their guest conduct policy is also very strict about buying alcoholic beverages for underage individuals (guardian or not). CocoCay is an extension of ship rules since it is leased and controlled by the cruiseline. Nassau will definitely be the most convenient spot for a bit of indulgence if desired.

I signed a form not allowing my 18 yr. old to drink while on the ship. He ordered buckets of beers, charged them to my account, also something I signed to disallow, but apparently RCCL doesn't follow through. No help from bursar/concierge desk when I got my end of cruise bill.

Just curious - so what happened between you and your son when you found out about this, as it appears you were not aware he was drinking on the cruise.

There is no such form - there USED to be a form you could sign specifically allowing your 18 year old to drink beer and wine (pre-2006), are you SURE this is not the form you actually signed? If not, they could trace back receipts to find out what bartender illegally sold him alcohol and heads would roll. Sounds like you signed the allowance form.

Sounds like your bigger problem was with your son! Did you have him reimburse you for the forbidden alcohol?

Thank you for your response. Is that for CocoCay or do you know anyone from the US that has signed this waiver? On the website it states that it only applies to Europe and South American departures.

"Effective on all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

On cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages. Please note: Waivers will be provided to parents upon check-in.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice."

You used to be able to drink with the parents being on the ship and signing a waiver.

RCCL did away with that qiite a while ago. ALL ships departing from ALL American ports have a 21 minimum. This cannot be waived..same with the private island....no drinking unless you're 21.

In Nassau, she'll be fine.

ONLY European and South American departures offer the waiver system. What is written in RC's terms and conditions is exactly what it is.

Archived