New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Gala Nights, formerly called Formal Nights, are usually on sea days or port days that leave mid-afternoon. With extremely rare exceptions, Gala Nights will never be on the last day, never be on Embarkation Day, never be on late port nights, and not on Le Cirque nights. With the latter, you can predict what nights they will be. Most cruises are repeated season and after season with the same itineraries and the Gala Nights should be the same.

If we knew what cruise you were taking, someone could probably tell you what nights to expect.

Gala Night attire for men is a collared shirt and slacks as a minimum. The level of higher formality is up to you. On seven-night cruises, tuxedos are rare and jackets/ties are predominant. In any case, dress as formal as you wish but do not expect others, including those potentially sharing your MDR table, to be as formally dressed as you choose to be.

Thanks, this is helpful! We are on the Rotterdam's 4/1 sailing from Tampa!

I'm not too worried about how others are dressed in the dining room. I just enjoy dressing my family up, and my husband and son usually wear suits. Sounds like that'll work out just fine!

Here is a list that I compiled from the HAL website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

You can buy bottles in the Shops but cannot claim them until the last full day of the cruise.

For spirits purchased to be consumed in one's stateroom, are bottles available from room service, or must they be purchased pre-cruise?

Thanks for the information.

For spirits purchased to be consumed in one's stateroom, are bottles available from room service, or must they be purchased pre-cruise?

Thanks for the information.

The ship will be thrilled to sell you a(nother) bottle on board! Making money is what they like to do.

Best bar for sailaway on Oosterdam? Haven't been on her for quite sometime and not sure what is best location? Thanks! LuAnn

Port side, of course (assuming you are sailing out of FLL)

For the webcam to catch your wave.

Some use the Lido deck. The Promenade deck offers good spots and is usually less crowded.

If you want the webcam to focus on you, be sure to "request a wave" and give them details where you will be.

Best bar for sailaway on Oosterdam? Haven't been on her for quite sometime and not sure what is best location? Thanks! LuAnn

I like the Sea View Bar area. Outdoors getting the fresh air, unobstructed view, and there's something calming about watching the rest of the world fade.

Some use the Lido deck. The Promenade deck offers good spots and is usually less crowded.

If you want the webcam to focus on you, be sure to "request a wave" and give them details where you will be.

I like the Sea View Bar area. Outdoors getting the fresh air, unobstructed view, and there's something calming about watching the rest of the world fade.

As Ruth says, Sea View Bar area (Aft Lido, as far back on the ship as you can go), is the best spot EXCEPT if you have a verandah/Balcony that faces the Web Cam as Kazu explained.

I have but one additional tip for making sure the Web Cam picks you up (zooms in on you and yours) and that is to be waving something; i.e., Flag, colorful towel or something unique.

The Url for the ALL the Web Cams is http://whatsonptztv.com/ just click on whichever one you want to see. You can also give the link to your loved ones and friends at home so that they can watch you leave:)

Joanie

Where do we request a wave? We are sailing on 29th on Koningsdam....and we have our flag ready

Where do we request a wave? We are sailing on 29th on Koningsdam....and we have our flag ready

Go to this web site:

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com

Near the bottom, you will see "Request-a-Wave". Click on it and fill in the requested info.

Make sure you are on the port side so the camera will be able to spot you and zoom in for a close up.

Have I got this right ?

I just cancelled a March '18 cruise on the Eurodam .(Hard decision but its replacement is a tour to China .:) ) We booked onboard our Veendam cruise and were charged $100 deposit each. I cancelled today and I guess the money will stay in my Mariner account.

So does this mean the amount is there to be used as the deposit for any future HAL cruise , 7 days or less . I was also promised $150 OBC .( Is there a place to see this ?) Do I get to keep this for my next booking . They mentioned I have 4 years to use this deposit or it will be returned to the original CC . Is this 4 years from the cancelled cruise date or the date I originally booked it ?

I know I can get the money back immediately but then would lose the benefits .

Thanx

Edited by richstowe

Go to this web site:

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com

Near the bottom, you will see "Request-a-Wave". Click on it and fill in the requested info.

Make sure you are on the port side so the camera will be able to spot you and zoom in for a close up.

Thanks Glen. I would have never found it on my own!

Though we booked a year our we were unable to secure either early or late but had to accept anytime. I was hoping there might be some sort of reservation system on board.

Sorry I'm a little late to the party on this but just wanted to add one more thing. Check your key card when you get on board to see what that says about your dining assignment. On our last cruise in May we were unable to get our requested early seating and all of our docs up to cruise day said that we had anytime dining. So after lunch on embarkation day, we went to the maitre'd stand to make a reservation for dinner as others have described already. The maitre'd asked to see my key card. Sure enough, printed on there was a table assignment for early dining. We had requested a table for two and wound up with a four-top to ourselves.

Have I got this right ? Some yes, some no.

I just cancelled a March '18 cruise on the Eurodam .(Hard decision but its replacement is a tour to China .:) ) We booked onboard our Veendam cruise and were charged $100 deposit each. I cancelled today and I guess the money will stay in my Mariner account.

So does this mean the amount is there to be used as the deposit for any future HAL cruise , 7 days or less . Yes, regardless of length of cruise. I was also promised $150 OBC .( Is there a place to see this ? Should've been on the original confirmation you received right after you booked the ctuise.) Do I get to keep this for my next booking . No, unless you can sweet talkk a PCC into getting it for you. They mentioned I have 4 years to use this deposit or it will be returned to the original CC . Is this 4 years from the cancelled cruise date or the date I originally booked it ? It's 4 years from the date you originally booked the now-cancelled cruise.

I know I can get the money back immediately but then would lose the benefits .

Thanx

See my responses in red above. All of my responses are based on my experience with HAL on board bookings. However, to be safe, I suggest you contact HAL directly, since it will be HAL's responses/decisions that will control and not my recollection and opinions.

See my responses in red above. All of my responses are based on my experience with HAL on board bookings. However, to be safe, I suggest you contact HAL directly, since it will be HAL's responses/decisions that will control and not my recollection and opinions.

Thank you for the info . I went to my HAL account . Where would I find the $100 that's supposedly in my account ? I can't find it .

Thank you for the info . I went to my HAL account . Where would I find the $100 that's supposedly in my account ? I can't find it .

From my experience credits such as this are not visible in the information you can access on-line.

There are two credit components when you book on board. There is a credit for pre-purchasing the deposit which you will retain for the next booking. If you actually book a cruise on board there is another component that only attaches to that booking. This you will lose. The amounts involved vary according to the amount of deposit you pre-paid and the length of the cruise you booked. As already said these amounts are shown on the documentation issued when you made the transactions on board.

You can only resolve your position by calling or emailing HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From my experience credits such as this are not visible in the information you can access on-line.

There are two credit components when you book on board. There is a credit for pre-purchasing the deposit which you will retain for the next booking. If you actually book a cruise on board there is another component that only attaches to that booking. This you will lose. The amounts involved vary according to the amount of deposit you pre-paid and the length of the cruise you booked. As already said these amounts are shown on the documentation issued when you made the transactions on board.

You can only resolve your position by calling or emailing HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree - best bet would be to contact HAL directly.

As Ruth says, Sea View Bar area (Aft Lido, as far back on the ship as you can go), is the best spot EXCEPT if you have a verandah/Balcony that faces the Web Cam as Kazu explained.

I have but one additional tip for making sure the Web Cam picks you up (zooms in on you and yours) and that is to be waving something; i.e., Flag, colorful towel or something unique.

The Url for the ALL the Web Cams is http://whatsonptztv.com/ just click on whichever one you want to see. You can also give the link to your loved ones and friends at home so that they can watch you leave:)

Joanie

Thanks all for your suggestions...as we are sailing out of SD I don't believe there is a web cam to be concerned about? Will be a beautiful sail away with the city all in lights for the holidays!!! LuAnn

Embarkation at 1:00 pm in SD? and other questions! :)

We are used to getting to the pier on most lines and in most cities around 11:30 am...but boarding pass says embarkation at 1 pm? As mentioned we haven't sailed HAL since around 2011 so wondering if we should not show up before 1? DH would hate to miss a moment on the ship! Oh...and will there be any football on board...this is 12/20 to 12/27 and if so where? Also on the Oosterdam are there hand rails to assist getting in and out of the spas and/or pools? Thanks all! LuAnn

Embarkation at 1:00 pm in SD? and other questions!

The documents have said embarkation is at 1:00 PM since just after the dawn of time. Most times boarding begins at 11:30 AM. This is barring some unforeseen delay, but is customary.

Lunch is served in the Lido from that time, and normally in the dining room starting at noon. Might as well be aboard to enjoy.

Thanks all for your suggestions...as we are sailing out of SD I don't believe there is a web cam to be concerned about? Will be a beautiful sail away with the city all in lights for the holidays!!! LuAnn

There is a webcam, BUT it doesn't follow any of the ships and has a set pattern that seldom lines up with any cruise ship leaving/arriving. It very frustrating for sailaway addicts, so usually I don't bother to watch.

I spoke to HAL and they confirmed that my deposit is properly in my account . I asked if there was a way for customers to see this on their own . She replied " No , that would be to hard " . Hmmm OK :eek:

As far as OBC ,she was deliberately vague . I guess the amount is based on multiple variables including what you can finagle . ;)

Thanks to all.

The documents have said embarkation is at 1:00 PM since just after the dawn of time. Most times boarding begins at 11:30 AM. This is barring some unforeseen delay, but is customary.

Lunch is served in the Lido from that time, and normally in the dining room starting at noon. Might as well be aboard to enjoy.

Thank you Ruth...we'll be in line at 11:30 then!!! :) LuAnn