Aqua versus sunset veranda on silhouette

Kathleem27

Hi all,

I'm booking a last minute holiday cruise on the silhouette. Was planing on booking in aqua as I have always loved the more intimate feel of Blu. Haven't cruised in 2 years, and getting nervous about all the reviews regarding blu not being what it used to be. I could get a sunset veranda off the aft for $100 $/pp cheaper. Have always been envious of those big balconies off the aft.....just wondering has anyone sailed in these cabins and if so, are the balconies much bigger than an aqua balcony?

Thanks!

Kathleem27

The aft balconies on the S-class ships, such as the Silhouette, are not any larger. It is the M class ships with the larger balconies at the aft. Additionally there is no shade for the aft balconies on the Silhouette. We sailed once aft on the Silhouette and I found the balcony to be too hot to use most days.

We were in an aft cabin in January on the Silhouette and loved it. As was said, there is not much shade, but the views are awesome! We loved getting a nightcap and sitting on the deck at night with the lights shinning on the wake, very mesmerizing. We did not have an issue with any soot on the furniture on the deck. It is a bit of a walk to the elevators, but was not a problem for us. We have not been in Aqua Class so cannot compare.

Hi all,

I'm booking a last minute holiday cruise on the silhouette. Was planing on booking in aqua as I have always loved the more intimate feel of Blu. Haven't cruised in 2 years, and getting nervous about all the reviews regarding blu not being what it used to be. I could get a sunset veranda off the aft for $100 $/pp cheaper. Have always been envious of those big balconies off the aft.....just wondering has anyone sailed in these cabins and if so, are the balconies much bigger than an aqua balcony?

Thanks!

Kathleem27

I wouldn’t let comments about Blu stop you from Aqua, was very nice on our last cruise. Food critics are a dime a dozen.

We've had an Aft Aqua on an M class and an Aft sunset veranda on an S class. As a result, our next three sailing are in aft cabins. Even when we're not actually sitting on the balcony, the view from inside the cabin is wonderful.

It is a long walk on the S class but after a day or so, it wasn't as bad. :D However whether you'd rather have Blu and the cheap bottle of bubbly for $100pp is subjective and something only you can decide which is more important.

• 2 weeks later...

We did an Aft sunset veranda during our baltics (Eclipse) and enjoyed it.

Did a concierge on the bumpout on Reflection.

I wanted an AQ to dine in Blu..

DH wanted a Sunset Veranda..the price difference was HUGE soo

Back to a Sunset Veranda for the upcoming sailing on Silhouette...we just really liked the views and the cash

Haven't done Aqua class though the idea of a smaller venue for dining is Very appealing to me

We are just off the Reflection & Blu was wonderful. We love the new menu & had excellent service.

We are big fans of aft cabins but we would opt for AQ over the SV. Best of both worlds is the aft AQ cabins on the M class and the Solstice.

We've been at Blu this September and a few years ago and felt it was fine. By any reasonable person's standard, it is really still just fine and we liked it. We've also been in aft cabin and also just fine. There is nothing awful or truly worth avoiding in either option, and in fact both options are terrific I think.

Choose and enjoy

- Joel

We have stayed in both and the views are incredible in the aft cabins. It is a longer walk but I think worth it unless you are physically challenged. Many of the Aqua cabins are not in desirable locations. So check out the location. And most are shaded. I am a sun lover and would choose the aft.

• 3 months later...

We have been sold on Blu for the past few cruises. We love the personal attention and the more intimate setting. Breakfast is so much better than in the MDR. We used to sail in Sky Suites especially the aft corner cabins which had no issues with soot but they have priced themselves outside our comfort zone since they added Luminae. We were on the Silhouette in July and found Blu to be fine so I wouldn't let the random reviews affect your decision. It seems some are very vocal about negative reviews than positive ones.

It all boils down to:

Do you want the better view, or the better restaurant.

You can always upgrade the restaurant (specialty) but you have the view always.

Soot happens, it was minor in our experience, the walk is longer, and if sailing east, the sun beats in the cabin late in he day. Still....

THAT VIEW