Norwegian Sun or Norwegian Getaway??

Idavikam

Hi.

Me and my bf are going on a cruise in Sept, but we cant decide which ship/itinerary to choose, so we hoped that you experienced cruisers could help us.

The itinerary for the Sun is: Great Stirup Cay, Havana, Harvest Cay and Costa Maya.

For the Getaway its: Roatan, Harvest Cay, Costa Maya and Conzumel.

The only reason we really consider the Norwegian Sun is because of Havana, Cuba, we've always wanted to go there. The Getaway looks like a ship with a lot more going on (activity wize), because its bigger, but bigger isnt always better, I've heardclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

We like to relax in the pool, sipping drinks, party, with it not being too crowded in the pool all the time.

I loved Freedom of the seas, Norwegian Escape was a great ship, but I didnt like it as much cause of the lack of pool areas and entertainment around it.

So if any of you kind people have ay tips/pointers that could help us decide, that would be awesome. Pricing is about the same for both.

Thanks!

Sun is an older ship, and tiny. we enjoyed her, but sailed her thru Alaska.

Getaway is our least fave ship in the fleet. Pools are very tiny for the number of people on board. its a complaint you wll read about often on here.

Id go Sun.

I have sailed both and loved both, but for different reasons. As others said, the Sun is much smaller, and does not have as many amenities. If you want to sail in Haven or get a spa pass, you'll need to go with the Getaway. Entertainment on the Getaway was much better as well. The Waterfront is my favorite feature of the ship. The waterslides and the rope course are a lot of fun, too.

On the flip side, the Sun has a more traditional feel including a true promenade deck. The Great Outdoors Café on the aft is a favorite area of mine. I prefer the pool deck on the Sun to the one on the Getaway, which had a lot going on and felt crowded. The cabins on the Sun are generally bigger, though the bathroom is smaller. People who sail in suites say the suite experience on the Sun is really good because of the small number of them (I can't say, but I've read that several times here). There is no spa area (there is a spa, but not a thalassotherapy pool, heated loungers, etc.), but you can use the steam and sauna for free. It's a great little ship for relaxing.

Itinerary-wise, Havana would be a huge draw for me (but the visa will be $75 a person), and I love Costa Maya, which is on both. Great Stirrup Cay and Harvest Cay are both essentially Norwegian products - private & semi-private island - not really "authentic" Caribbean experiences, if that's important to you. Cozumel and Roatan have a lot of great options for excursions beyond just beach activities if you want to zipline, see Mayan ruins, etc.

One final thing to check if you are a drinker is whether or not the Sun will be all-inclusive with alcoholic beverages - originally the 4-day Cuba itinerary was, but I don't know if they changed it when they switched to the 7-day itinerary. Price could be a factor as well.

Good luck!

Depends on what you are looking for. The Sun has far less activities and choices for eating and entertainment, but is one of our favorites. If you looking for itinerary alone, I'd go with Sun. If you looking for itinerary and ship experience, for sure the Getaway.

Thanks everyone for great replies, we have now decided on the Getaway thanks too you guys. We cant wait!

BUT ... if you really want to go to Havana, then it's the SUN - I'm not seeing many cruises to Havana in the future.

We have been on both the Sun and Getaway ... the Sun has better pool deck - 2 large pools! And an outdoor café aft, and an observation lounge forward.

Getaway is bigger and has a waterfront that we loved, better for longer cruises.

Again we do not have a favourite ship - each ship has its own pros and cons.

BUT ... if you really want to go to Havana, then it's the SUN - I'm not seeing many cruises to Havana in the future.

We have been on both the Sun and Getaway ... the Sun has better pool deck - 2 large pools! And an outdoor café aft, and an observation lounge forward.

Getaway is bigger and has a waterfront that we loved, better for longer cruises.

Again we do not have a favourite ship - each ship has its own pros and cons.

Oh.. now we have to do som thinking again lol, or I do, Im the one who's having a hard time deciding. But I do appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.

Last year I spent 35 nights on the Sun and 21 nights on the Getaway.

I missed the Sun every day while on the Getaway. Not that the Getaway is a bad ship, in any way. But the size of the Sun gave you a chance to get to know your fellow passengers and not the least, the fantastic crew.

Sure, I missed O'sheeans and the Waterfront while on the Sun, but instead they have the Great Outdoors, which is a great place for sailaways and nice and calm to have breakfasts and lunch at.

The Sun also have a wrap around promenade deck, which is nice to take a morning walk on.

The buffet on the Sun is by far the worst I have ever experienced at sea, both the layout and the offerings, but in my book, that is also her only weak point.

Either way, you can't go wrong. But if water slides and other activities, such as mini golf and ropes course, the Getaway is your choice. The Sun is perfect if you just want peace and calm.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi.

Me and my bf are going on a cruise in Sept, but we cant decide which ship/itinerary to choose, so we hoped that you experienced cruisers could help us.

The itinerary for the Sun is: Great Stirup Cay, Havana, Harvest Cay and Costa Maya.

For the Getaway its: Roatan, Harvest Cay, Costa Maya and Conzumel.

The only reason we really consider the Norwegian Sun is because of Havana, Cuba, we've always wanted to go there. The Getaway looks like a ship with a lot more going on (activity wize), because its bigger, but bigger isnt always better, I've heardclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

We like to relax in the pool, sipping drinks, party, with it not being too crowded in the pool all the time.

I loved Freedom of the seas, Norwegian Escape was a great ship, but I didnt like it as much cause of the lack of pool areas and entertainment around it.

So if any of you kind people have ay tips/pointers that could help us decide, that would be awesome. Pricing is about the same for both.

Thanks!

We are on the September 9 Sun cruise specifically to see Havana. Think about it. If the powers that be decide to close it up again you’ll miss the chance! Not many Americans can say they have visited Cuba, which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it, considering how close it is....

• 3 months later...

We're booked on the Sun for the September Cuba cruise. We personally enjoy the smaller ships. The Getaway was okay, just make sure to book anything you want to do such as specialty dining, comedy club etc far in advance. Your looking at thousands more people and events fill fast.

We've been on the Breakaway & went to Cuba on the Sun in May. I much preferred the pool deck on the Sun. The Sun never felt crowded and Havana was fabulous. Take in one of nightclubs or just go to Dos Hermanos very near the port.. The entertainment and activities were more extensive on the BA but things were often crowded and the BA class ships have way too small a pool for the # of people.

We are on the Sept 9th Sun sailing as well. Primary reason is the Havana stop. As someone else pointed out, you never know when those rules will change again. I have read mostly good things about the Sun and am looking forward to it. For what it's worth, we've been on the Getaway 3 times and it is a great ship with much to keep you busy. The size of the pool deck and the depth of the pools are definite drawbacks. Friends of ours were on the GA in June and said she is beginning to show her 5 years of age, time for a trip to dry dock.

This!!!;p . Keep in mind rules for travel to Cuba may change again. My husband is not allowed to travel there so I would have to go without him. I've been on both the Sun and Getaway - like many others, pros and cons to each. I'd prefer the Getaway for 7+ days since there's more to do. Myself, I would probably do one of the shorter cruises to Cuba (with the girls).

This!!!;p . Keep in mind rules for travel to Cuba may change again. My husband is not allowed to travel there so I would have to go without him. I've been on both the Sun and Getaway - like many others, pros and cons to each. I'd prefer the Getaway for 7+ days since there's more to do. Myself, I would probably do one of the shorter cruises to Cuba (with the girls).

Im not sure if I got it right, but the rules of traveling to Cuba is for American citizens/travels from America? I dont think those rules applied for us leaving from Norway? Hopefully they'll stay that way so we all can visit it sometime:D😁