No credit yet on my cc after I canceled 20 minutes after it appeared

compozer

I booked four cruises Tuesday. Each time I had to enter my credit card information which I really don't remember having to do before. I used my fcc's on each one. 10 minutes after I did the last one, I received a large purchase alert from my credit card. It was for $8200, the total price of the cruise. I immediately called Princess and the gal called customer service and had it taken off 5 minutes later.

I JUST NEED TO VENT.

It has been three days and the credit is not showing up. Yes, I know that is the usual case but what makes me mad is that Wednesday was the end of my billing cycle and it is on auto pay so I will have to pay it.

I KNOW I never checked the box that said pay entire amount. Why would I pay for a cruise for March of 2018?

There are getting to be more times lately that I hate computers😠

Credit card transactions first go into pending status for at least a day. During this time the merchant can adjust the amount of the charge and even void the transaction. If the transaction is voided, you will not see the charge posting to the account statement. If the charge is posted, then a separate refund transaction will be posted.

With refunds/credits, my card company usually uses those to offset the previous statement balance. Take your case for example: If the total statement balance is $10,000 with the $8200 charge, the refund of $8200 will be used to offset $10,000 resulting in a balance due of $1,800. Your card company/bank may treat credits/refunds differently, but majority of them do it this way.

Hope this helps.

The amount of credit should offset for your autopay since autopay typically isn't deducted until your due date. As long as the credit posts before the due date, you should be fine. I'm not sure who your credit card is with, but you can call them to confirm.

I agree, it is frustrating. Unfortunately, since the initial debit was processed, it has to go through posting and then the credit comes through after that time. Normally, debits and credits take the same amount of time to actually post to the account (although available credit is deducted immediately with use of an authorization code, there isn't the same authorization release with credits). Depending on the merchant acquirer, they might batch credits on a different schedule that debits which can account for a few days difference in the timeframes, but most batch on the same schedule.

It will take up to 10 business days to post . The issue usually is how long the banks take to process it.

I've had in 5 days sometimes as late as 10 days. all depends on the bank when they process the credit.

Charges take about 5 days to go thru hold process.

Selion,

You are right. It is still in pending. It usually only stays there two days at the most. I will give AMEX a call.

It just is annoying that they get their money right away but a refund takes a week or more. I called them within 20 minutes of their mistake.

What I really wonder is why I was charged in the first place i booked four times that day. It says I used a fcc. If I paid in full, why would I also use a ffc?

Selion,

What I really wonder is why I was charged in the first place i booked four times that day. It says I used a fcc. If I paid in full, why would I also use a ffc?

I'd really want to know that too! It would make no sense for you to use the fcc AND pay in full.

You would use the FCC to get the onboard credit if you wanted to pay in full. I booked us a cruise yesterday with an FCC and charged the remainder of the balance. It's after the final payment date, so I did not have a choice. But I understand some people wanting to go ahead and make the final payment even before they have to.

Selion,

You are right. It is still in pending. It usually only stays there two days at the most. I will give AMEX a call.

It just is annoying that they get their money right away but a refund takes a week or more. I called them within 20 minutes of their mistake.

My experience is that pending charges show right away but pending refunds do not. But they actually post in the same time frame. And even though you show the pending charge on your end, that does not mean the merchant has immediate use of the money. They have their own settlement schedule that determines when they have they money.

Having pending charges show but not pending refunds makes sense in terms of the bank making sure you conform with your credit limit. Pending charges reduce your available credit on the assumption that the charge will be finalized. OTOH, doing the same for a pending refund might allow an over-limit situation to occur if the refund is not finalized.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Selion,

I'd really want to know that too! It would make no sense for you to use the fcc AND pay in full.

Booking online with a FCD NEVER works for me. Every time I try, there isn't even a box to check to use the FCD.

The last time I booked, of course I had to call Princess, the rep told me to always call to use FCDs...that way there's no confusion.

It's a little complicated, but basically everything is in control of the bank (other than the fact NCL should not have charged you in full in the first place)...

You won't know for sure exactly how it will shake out on your bill for 3-4 days, but the reason this has become so complicated is because of some fraud techniques in the past. People would clone CCs and then issue a whole bunch of fake refunds to 'clear up' any balances, then take the now empty CC and charge as much as they could. When the refunds didn't clear and the charges hit the banks were out double the money, since most have fraud guarantees.

So, the banks began a delay process, usually 3 days to process a refund, which allowed them to watch for fraudulent activity AND see if the refunds actually were posted by the merchants. Once the loophole was cleared however, they realized that they basically were now getting 3 days interest/float on the refunds and have had no incentive to change (it's worth noting that on my pay as due Amex, refunds post almost immediately).

What SHOULD have happened was, instead of a refund, a VOID, where the merchant requests the authorization and any pending transactions get cancelled and then a recharge of the correct amount. This processes immediately, but most systems aren't set up to do it easily except some handheld terminals, even then I would suspect most agents/cashiers have no idea how to do it. In some cases it requires a card present transaction as well.

IF you notice the charge has posted for your statement, but not a credit, contact your credit card processor and ask if the refund when posted will apply to payment. Usually it will, especially if you are not carrying a balance and you will not need to pay the full balance before due date.