Pressing Question: Iron in the Cabins...

... and in the hands of a MAN (me)!

One of the many things my last ex taught me (and bless her heart) was the value of having nicely pressed clothes, and doing same yourself. And for a guy, I probably enjoy doing it more than I should (although it's usually just a shirt each day before work really) -- something about removing all those wrinkles in a few minutes really speaks to the AR in me I guess.

In any event, I'm sailing on the Emerald Princess next month. I KNOW they have laundry rooms that specifically have ironing board stations and irons, but I'm wondering: Would I cause an international incident if I asked our cabin steward for our own (my DFF irons her stuff too) iron and board? I certainly don't want anybody to get steamed, other than my clothes. Ironically, I can step up to a urinal with ANY man, but there's just something uncomfortable to me about whipping out this particular hot iron in public (threw that in for you Carnival line partiers).

I doubt you could keep an iron in your cabin even if you were allowed to borrow one for an hour.

Mostly has to do with fire regulatiobs, but I also doubt there are extra irons.

Edited by NMLady

Doubtful they will allow irons in the cabin....but those laundry room irons/boards are really nice and they have them on each deck...enjoy !

I have only cruised PCL once (over 20+ with RCI) and I was so impressed ;)...just wish I would have had some laundry to do..If only RCI would have these too.

The irons are attached to the laundry rooms on Princess ships. So I'm guessing that the answer will be no. And there's absolutely no reason you can't use the irons that are provided IN the laundry rooms. My hubby uses them there and has never complained.

And I can't imagine even in the biggest of cabins, there will be enough room to set up an ironing board and use comfortably (especially if one's cabin mates are moving about). Just out of curiosity, I just checked the no-no items for my daughter's future dorm room, and irons are listed (there are laundry rooms so perhaps there's an ironing board set up there). I'm not surprised by this and certainly don't have a problem with cruise lines forbidding the use in cabins.

Well, since nobody said they've actually inquired and were turned down, or provided any proof that Princess specifically forbids it, I guess there's no harm in asking my cabin steward (squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?). I guess the worse thing he can say is "no." Otherwise - and exaggerated ironophobia aside -- I'm happy to use it in the laundry room (although I'd just HATE to show up everybody with my professional-looking results; haha).

Seriously though, thanks everybody for taking the time to give your opinions.

There is a forum for Princess specific questions. I'm sure you'll find lots of Princess experts there.

Thanks ME. I'm aware of that sub-forum. I just figured this would be an inquiry that could generally be applied to more or less any cruise line.

I have seen men ironing on ships in the laundry room so don't think you doing it would be looked down on!!!!

I can't remember the ship, it might have been the SeaBreeze, but it was OLD. The top drawer was actually an ironing board! You pulled it out and flipped it over to make it long enough to iron. Back then you could bring your own iron. Don't know if you could get one from your steward or not. I used to bring our iron.

But everything has changed since then!

Well, since nobody said they've actually inquired and were turned down, or provided any proof that Princess specifically forbids it, I guess there's no harm in asking my cabin steward (squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?). I guess the worse thing he can say is "no." Otherwise - and exaggerated ironophobia aside -- I'm happy to use it in the laundry room (although I'd just HATE to show up everybody with my professional-looking results; haha).

Seriously though, thanks everybody for taking the time to give your opinions.

I'm not enough of a Princess regular, but I am aware of a number of other lines (under the Carnival umbrella) specifically banning irons in cabins - so I'd be strongly inclined to say Princess would ban them also. Any reasonably competent man who has lived on his own any length of time and doesn't fear superficial labeling can, and will upon occasion, iron things.

From the Princess website:

You should make sure you have a wide array of clothing packed away in your suitcase, as cruises may require everything from a casual swimsuit to a formal tuxedo. Princess Cruises is smart casual, so pack clothing that adheres to that guideline. On the informal side of things, both men and women may want to pack away breezy shirts, comfortable sandals and shorts for the day, while they can opt for a sweatshirt or windbreaker to help them stay warm if temperatures drop. In addition, bringing along a rain jacket, an umbrella and galoshes may be a good idea if rainy weather interrupts any scheduled shore excursions. For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse. When packing, bring wrinkle-free items or try rolling your clothes. Folding clothes can create creases, and cruise cabins are not equipped with irons (although they can be found in the ship's laundry rooms).

For your convenience, Princess vessels have self-service launderettes where washers, dryers and laundry products are available for a negligible charge. Please note that irons/ironing boards are available in the self-service laundry rooms. Ironing and using personal clothes steamers are not permitted in any stateroom. Although rare, on certain itineraries environmental regulations relating to the consumption of water may impact the operating hours of the launderettes. These restrictions, when applicable will be posted in the Princess Patter.

So - short answer is NO. Please don't put Stewart in a bad position.

Edited by notentirelynormal

Any reasonably competent man who has lived on his own any length of time and doesn't fear superficial labeling can, and will upon occasion, iron things.

I was actually kidding on the "fear" thing --- it's really only that it would just be more convenient to have one in the cabin. OK, so I'm lazy (mea culpa!). I WILL say however, that you're playing rather fast and loose loose trying to associate me with that "competent man" description. :D Seriously, thanks.

I was actually kidding on the "fear" thing --- it's really only that it would just be more convenient to have one in the cabin. OK, so I'm lazy (mea culpa!). I WILL say however, that you're playing rather fast and loose loose trying to associate me with that "competent man" description. :D Seriously, thanks.

Not so fast: I said " ...REASONABLY competent...".

The rule is simple and applies to every cruise line we have cruised (14 of them including plenty of Princess). Passengers are NOT permitted to have an iron in their cabin. In fact, if they spot an iron in your luggage (this is sometimes noticed on X-ray) it will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. The reason for this policy is quite simple. The number one danger on any ship is fire! A malfunctioning iron can easily cause a fire jeopardizing every soul onboard.

Hank

Send them out to be pressed. $3-4 per shirt and they do a MUCH better job than you will ever think about doing. Your time ironing is worth more than that small amount, even if you had 5-6 shirts.

When my husband and I used to cruise (he died 2.5 years ago), we sent EVERYTHING out for cleaning/pressing BEFORE we left the ship. CHEAPER than I could ever find in Phoenix and my Oscar de la Renta silk dress with yards and yards of silk organza was ironed better on the ship than even the most upscale cleaner in Phoenix. Phoenix cleaner charged me about $50.00. On the ship, IIRC, it was about $15.00. We always took all clothes home in nice cleaner bags and didn't have to mess with laundry or taking stuff to the cleaner when we got home. Just hang them up and they are ready to go the next time you need them. JMHO

I have read about irons being confiscated. My small fan got me a trip to the naughty room on RCCL in 2011 and I couldn't get it back until the end of the cruise.

Purchase some Downey wrinkle release for the really wrinkled stuff and just where the other stuff. You are on vacation after all. Almost all of DH's clothes get sent to the Cleaners but I purchase wash and wear stuff myself because I can not be bothered to iron or drag more clothes to the cleaners and I gave up ironing nearly 20 years ago.:)