Silver Spirit Nightmare. Do they care?

Daveywavey70

Could others confirm this from very recent sailings on other ships? If they have moved from opt-out to opt-in, it will remove an unnecessary irritant for many guests. I always went to Reception, opted out, and then contributed (much greater sums) to the Crew Welfare Fund.

It certainly wasn;'t needed on our recent Explorer cruises.Still visited reception for the same reason as you-the crew welfare fund.

Twigalina, I felt the same way before I sailed last spring: buyer's remorse, omg what have I done, etc. But then my SS cruise was nearly perfect -- so much so that I signed on for 2 more.

This particular board sometimes has an overwhelmingly negative tone that I do not find mirrored on the actual cruises. Some posters offer a balance of praise and blame, others simply report their experiences good and not-so-good, some nitpick and document every perceived imperfection, some problem-solve when there is an egregious and unusual situation (like this thread), and others seem to stir the pot with something negative if the tone is too positive for a while. It's interesting to watch, and I find I do get a lot of great information here. However, I take the full-on SS-bashing with a hunk of salt now.

Wishing you a delightful cruise in September,

I think you have conflated two entirely seperate issues. It isn't aa matter of SS bashing but two separate issues.

1. I believe you are correct that the majority of SS passengers enjoy their cruises. The nauture of the web and self-selection is that people are more likely to post and post at length about issues and problems. That might give an impression that more is wrong than it is but it does rather underline the entirel separate issue that .......

2. I believe the OP is correct that when things go wrong (and sometimes badly wrong) for a small minority of customers SS's response and efforts to put it right often seems badly lacking.

The message is that when the product is good is can be very good, but when things go wrong sometimes customers seem to struggle to get a satisfactory response. It is astute for any potential customer to consider BOTH aspects equally when making an informed decision about what products and services are suitable for them ie whether it is generally reliably good and suitable, and how they will do with problems ie "customer service".

As I stated in my opening post, thankfully most people only had minor issues.

I Booked a 6 star cruise. Having found out about the stretch I contacted Silversea and they guaranteed that the ship wouldn’t sail if she wsnt perfect. Of course on a project on this scale there are going to be some issues. Having asked Silversea why there was no dry run following the dry dock inviting TA’’S etc to try the ship out, their response is that we didn’t anticipate there being any problems. Again asking Silversea why they sold the cruise out and didn’t hold back any cabins to switch passengers with problems, their response, we didn’t anticipate there being any problems.

To not anticipate there being any problems following a project of this scale to me is incompetent and completely lacks foresight. It smacks of a company that thinks only of the bottom line regardless of the duty they have to provide what ther guests have paid for and put things right when they fail to provide that.

To be told by SS that it would be unfair to other passengers if they were to offer anything other than the future cruise credit really is very unfair to those of us that did suffer from these problems.

We are not moaners or nit pickers, we tried our very best to enjoy our holiday and we certainly weren’t looking for problems.

The long and the short of it is that if things go well i’m Sure you’ll have an amazing time but if things go wrong then don’t expect SS to do anything to put it right. I expected better from their Customer Services.

If that makes me a nit picking, moaning Silversea basher than I guess I’ll just have to live with that.

Could others confirm this from very recent sailings on other ships? If they have moved from opt-out to opt-in, it will remove an unnecessary irritant for many guests. I always went to Reception, opted out, and then contributed (much greater sums) to the Crew Welfare Fund.

I am just off the Muse. A letter explaining the charity, the cruiseline's commitment to it, and the fact it was going to be charged to every passengers on-board account was delivered to every cabin. The letter also explained how you could opt out if you desired. The charity charge was on our on-board changes statement by mid-cruise, viewable from the in-suite TV.

I am just off the Muse. A letter explaining the charity, the cruiseline's commitment to it, and the fact it was going to be charged to every passengers on-board account was delivered to every cabin. The letter also explained how you could opt out if you desired. The charity charge was on our on-board changes statement by mid-cruise, viewable from the in-suite TV.

The letter you received should have gIven you a way to OPT IN if you so choose, not a way to opt out.

The letter you received should have gIven you a way to OPT IN if you so choose, not a way to opt out.

On my Shadow cruise last month, the charity was NOT on my bill and I didn’t ask for it to be removed. I did think it may have been because I’d previously asked for this to be removed that SS had used my “default option”. Good if the case, though I notice others still saying they had to remove “again” so not entirely sure.

I Booked a 6 star cruise. Having found out about the stretch I contacted Silversea and they guaranteed that the ship wouldn’t sail if she wsnt perfect. Of course on a project on this scale there are going to be some issues. Having asked Silversea why there was no dry run following the dry dock inviting TA’’S etc to try the ship out, their response is that we didn’t anticipate there being any problems. Again asking Silversea why they sold the cruise out and didn’t hold back any cabins to switch passengers with problems, their response, we didn’t anticipate there being any problems.

To not anticipate there being any problems following a project of this scale to me is incompetent and completely lacks foresight. It smacks of a company that thinks only of the bottom line regardless of the duty they have to provide what ther guests have paid for and put things right when they fail to provide that.

To be told by SS that it would be unfair to other passengers if they were to offer anything other than the future cruise credit really is very unfair to those of us that did suffer from these problems.

We are not moaners or nit pickers, we tried our very best to enjoy our holiday and we certainly weren’t looking for problems.

The long and the short of it is that if things go well i’m Sure you’ll have an amazing time but if things go wrong then don’t expect SS to do anything to put it right. I expected better from their Customer Services.

If that makes me a nit picking, moaning Silversea basher than I guess I’ll just have to live with that.

I think that this is a fair view of the situation. We were looking at our first Silversea cruise next year, but maybe we will keep looking a little harder...clear.png?emoji-embarrass-1727

Hi,

I'm not going to repeat posts on other threads, but it seems you are in the UK. You are clearly currently being "fobbed off" with unacceptable comments and if you do not receive an appropriate and satisfactory response and you wish to assert your rights under UK law which I believe would likely apply a substantial award for reimbursement, out of pocket expenses and compensation for dissapointment etc, having fully attempted but failed to gain satisfactory engagement with SS then happy to help and suggest an optimum route through this.

Daveywavey, you can expect to receive your certificate for future credit shortly as I received mine through my TA yesterday. I know you said you have no intention of using it but it may give you a clue of a person to persue who is dealing with the matter. It is signed by Som Mukerjee Manager Customer services. Good luck

Many thanks Jeff and eastwoodboy. The voucher was already emailed to me by Som. He’s in Guest Relations in the London office. Have spoken to him twice already.

I Have spoken to ABTA who have said that they would take the case on but I should offer SS one last opportunity to make a final offer before taking it through their arbitration service. I’ll be emailing Mark Conroy tonight to do just that.

It was bad enough what we went through on the cruise but I’m in utter disbelief at the absolute disinterest of the company in putting right their failiures.

Dave,

With respect, consider very carefully whether ABTA’s arbitration service is the optimum way forward for you. I would say not. It depends on what conclusion you are seeking. Try to put your emotion aside, and see this as purely “business”.

Write a well constructed, concise and unemotive (signed for) letter to Peter Shanks at the London office explaining what you were expecting, what you received, that you would never have booked the trip if you had known what you would receive, what you have been offered with why it is unacceptable and what you seek. Offer to bring this to court if SS are unwilling to deal with it sensibly within say 14 days.

Good luck and best wishes.

Many thanks for the advice Jeff. I’ve got to see my solicitor this week anyway so I will discuss it with him.

Your advice is really helpful and greatly appreciated as I have never had cause to complain about a holiday before.

Thanks again.

The way Silverseas has approached this is repulsive . They should refund your entire cruise for the disaster that you encountered. Silverseas was on my radar for a future cruise but maybe not for the way they have handled this. Good luck and hopefully you will get a positive resolution at the end of this .

Dave,

You must do what makes you feel comfortable. I presume your solicitor will charge you and at this early stage those costs will not be recoverable from anyone. ABTA represents the industry and the industry pays for them and they are ABTA’s masters.

If I were you I’d try a direct approach first. Make a covering letter concise and refer to an attatched letter with your proposal to recrify the issue. When you write that letter write it in a way that you would like a judge to see you as perfectly reasonable and well balanced. Your posts give the impression of amfair and well balanced person if you don’t mind ke saying so. In that second letter head it “without prejudice” and include your detailed settlement proposal. By doing it this way the fact that you tried to sort it out - ie the “covering letter” will be seen by a judge, but your detailed offer ie the enclosed detailed offer letter, will not be as it is “privileged”.

If that approach fails then see a solicitor if you prefer that approach. You have at least tried and haven’t incurred costs. This will count in your favour and against SS if it needs to go to court. The approach I suggest costs you a letter and doesn’t compromise any future action, advice or potential settlement.

Good luck.

Many thanks Jeff and eastwoodboy. The voucher was already emailed to me by Som. He’s in Guest Relations in the London office. Have spoken to him twice already.

I Have spoken to ABTA who have said that they would take the case on but I should offer SS one last opportunity to make a final offer before taking it through their arbitration service. I’ll be emailing Mark Conroy tonight to do just that.

It was bad enough what we went through on the cruise but I’m in utter disbelief at the absolute disinterest of the company in putting right their failiures.

Som is only the gatekeeper in London Guest Relations, you could also try his boss, Richard Latham. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Daveywavey, I am so very sorry that all of this has happened to you. I also apologize if it seemed I was lumping you in with those who have (in my view) quite trivial concerns. The opposite is true: your complaints are (in my view) quite legitimate. This seems to me to be an unusual and egregious situation.

I truly hope for a positive outcome for you, and I hope you'll keep us posted.

Hi Daveywavey, I am so very sorry that all of this has happened to you. I also apologize if it seemed I was lumping you in with those who have (in my view) quite trivial concerns. The opposite is true: your complaints are (in my view) quite legitimate. This seems to me to be an unusual and egregious situation.

I truly hope for a positive outcome for you, and I hope you'll keep us posted.

No need to apologise Unibok. It’s more the posts of certain other contributors that jump immediately to SS defence and advise that every criticism be takien with a pinch of salt that are upsetting. Almost makes you wonder who they work for???

Many thanks to Jeff also for his sound advice.

When somebody comes on a forum like this because they feel they have had a raw deal and haven’t had their concerns taken seriously and are looking for advice, the contributions and helpful advice offered by a couple of posters far outweighs the dismissal of genuine grievances and scepticism of any posts that are less than complimentary about SS by a couple of trolls.

Dave,

What makes things worst is when some choose to condemn blanket style on a thread like this complaints that they have no personal knowledge of. It helps no one - except SS.

The name I gave you earlier is the new CEO of the UK and Ireland operation and he has also just been given responsibility for some other geographics You can faff around wasting time with relatively junior staff or presuming you are very determined to assert your rights then you give it your best shot with a determined but short dialogue with the person who has the authority to conclude this for you if he is so inclined.

My fear for you is that if you start with asking your solicitor unless she is your daughter or he is your best friend then they will suggest “they just send a letter” which will inevitably lead to a reply and a further letter and your costs can spiral upwards very quickly with costs that may eat a substantial part of anything you might get and it is at this stage entirely unnecessary and avoidable.

All the best.

Dave,

What makes things worst is when some choose to condemn blanket style on a thread like this complaints that they have no personal knowledge of. It helps no one - except SS.

The name I gave you earlier is the new CEO of the UK and Ireland operation and he has also just been given responsibility for some other geographics You can faff around wasting time with relatively junior staff or presuming you are very determined to assert your rights then you give it your best shot with a determined but short dialogue with the person who has the authority to conclude this for you if he is so inclined.

My fear for you is that if you start with asking your solicitor unless she is your daughter or he is your best friend then they will suggest “they just send a letter” which will inevitably lead to a reply and a further letter and your costs can spiral upwards very quickly with costs that may eat a substantial part of anything you might get and it is at this stage entirely unnecessary and avoidable.

All the best.

Yes thanks Jeff

I’m going to do exactly as you suggested in your previous post. It’s difficult knowing where to turn sometimes. Thank you so much for your well considered and excellent advice. You are a credit to this site. And like I said earlier your advice on here is worth putting up with the trolls.

Thank you again for your excellent help.

I had a silver suite cabinwith no air flow at all for the entire cruise. The cieling lights were not properly installed and were hanging from the cieling plus never mind the fact that I watched the CEO take a tender by himself while about 20 of us paying pax watched while waiting for another boat in Cannes!

I have also contacted Silversea in Florida and supplied them with pics but have had no response so far.

Hi,

Sadly, the suggestions I made to Dave aren’t as relevant to an American citizen as you do not enjoy the same level of consumer rights and protections as EU and UK citizens enjoy. Sadly, in answer to Dave’s question “Do they care ...” the answer is that clearly their behaviour shows that they do not care in an ethical sense, and all that remains for SS’s largest market ie the US , is the hope that commercial pressures following the sort of publicity you bring might make them believe that treating people well and fairly is commercially more advantageous emanating from the extra brand value from a reputational point of view. But SS is expanding and seeking an entirely different market from the one they originally sought and I am very sadly not holding my breath.

Good luck and best wishes,

It gets even better. I’ve just emailed the person that I spoke to in the Miami office to ask where there any updates and my email failed to deliver because I’ve been blocked by the recipient.

Six star luxury Cruise Line.

I don’t think so.