Taking meals back from MDR - new rule?

Bibble

Previously, I know that my mom has been able to take my dad's dinner (with a cover) back to the cabin when he hurt his foot and just didn't feel like going to the dining room. Once, the waiter even offered to let us take my daughter's leftovers since she didn't eat it all.

So this past weekend, we asked to take a meal for my friend's husband, as he has a bad back and didn't want to sit in the dining room chair through the whole meal (he made it through the steakhouse the night before, but he was "done"). We were told no, that there's no way to control the temperature. I asked "How do you control it after you serve it to me at the table?" His answer was simply "Ma'am, we don't allow that".

So, when we were all done, and the wife had half her steak leftover, that was ALREADY served, and would now be thrown away, we asked for a lid to take the leftovers back. "No ma'am. We don't do that. We can't control the temperature".

Now, don't get me wrong, I have been places where they won't let you take food to go. and I understand when they have those rules in place. I'm not looking for "why" a restaurant would have those rules.

I'm asking if anyone knows if this rule is:

a) new

b) ship specific maybe (a crap-shoot depending on your ship)

c) a waiter who didn't know better (or just didn't want to help)

Thank you!

I had mine sent to my room last week- I didn't even ask for it they offered. My DH went to the dining room to cancel my special order and get the menu so that I could choose for the next day (need to do this due to gluten free requirement). I had been out all day and due to health issues I was way to tired to try and get ready for dinner, so was just going to get dh to grab a gf free pizza for me. They offered to plate up my meal - all 3 courses and my DH brought it back, I was go glad as it was the best meal of my cruise. I am not going to say which ship/ hostess now in case it leads to trouble for them if the policy had changed.

Edited by fragilek

Previously, I know that my mom has been able to take my dad's dinner (with a cover) back to the cabin when he hurt his foot and just didn't feel like going to the dining room. Once, the waiter even offered to let us take my daughter's leftovers since she didn't eat it all.

So this past weekend, we asked to take a meal for my friend's husband, as he has a bad back and didn't want to sit in the dining room chair through the whole meal (he made it through the steakhouse the night before, but he was "done"). We were told no, that there's no way to control the temperature. I asked "How do you control it after you serve it to me at the table?" His answer was simply "Ma'am, we don't allow that".

So, when we were all done, and the wife had half her steak leftover, that was ALREADY served, and would now be thrown away, we asked for a lid to take the leftovers back. "No ma'am. We don't do that. We can't control the temperature".

Now, don't get me wrong, I have been places where they won't let you take food to go. and I understand when they have those rules in place. I'm not looking for "why" a restaurant would have those rules.

a) new

Thank you!

I requested a meal for my DH who was not feeling well and was told that it was possible, but a waiter would deliver it to our cabin. Perhaps the policy does vary, but I had no problem with a waiter delivering.

Signs are posted at entrance, saying "do not remove food from dining room". Wait staff answer to the Maitre'd so rules enforcement would depend.

A specially made meal would be different than regular menu items.

On the practical side, the MDR isn't take out and there are plenty of dining options that are.

I think you just had a bad waiter.

Thinking either he didn't know, didn't care to see if he could make an exception...

Why didn't anyone order room service for him? Gary

We did, after we found out he couldn't have the meal from the dining room.

It didn't break the night really. We just rolled with it (and so did the husband). It wasn't important enough to get a supervisor.

I've just never been told no before, and wondered if they've shifted (I shouldn't have said "Rules") their easy-going-ness of making an exception, or if it was just this guy.

Thank you all!

I was told that I couldn't take cheesecake from the Steakhouse a couple of cruises ago. It was the first time that they hadn't allowed it, so I assume that it's been that way for at least that long now. I haven't asked again. Somebody probably got sick at some point eating food that hadn't been properly refrigerated. Not really sure why I can buy it at the coffee bar, but oh well.

a) new

Thank you!

The reason you're not supposed to take a hot meal from the Main Dining room is because of the sanitation regulations. All food must be served at a certain temperature and they are liable if someone gets sick. My sister is a health inspector so I know this to be true. The buffets are different because you're serving yourself. Carnival also confirmed this the last time my sister sailed with us.

The reason you're not supposed to take a hot meal from the Main Dining room is because of the sanitation regulations. All food must be served at a certain temperature and they are liable if someone gets sick. My sister is a health inspector so I know this to be true. The buffets are different because you're serving yourself. Carnival also confirmed this the last time my sister sailed with us.

I understood that part.

I was asking if it was new that they were enforcing it, and/or making less exceptions. Seems they are possibly making less exceptions.

On our recent cruise on Sensation, DS(13) wasn't feeling well. He came to MD, but needed to leave. We asked if we could take him a plate back, and they said they no longer allow this, not even WCMC without ice cream. Our head waiter was very apologetic, and suggested maybe we go to the buffet to get him something. Maybe people are stealing the China...lol Was no big deal for DS, he was content on having pizza, which was what probably made him feel bad to begin with...he ate a lot of it on this trip....lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sure this is part of it. This rule applied in the rehab center I worked in that was geriatrics. It was ridiculous at times because the food sometimes came through too hot, but that's the rule.

The only food I have seen taken out of the main dining room is left over specialty cake.

No doggie bags.

Just curious. When would the meal be taken to the cabin? After it sat on the table until the end of the meal for everyone else or when it first arrives at the table?

You could always take back food from the lido deck buffet.

Room service offerings on Carnival are not meals, nor hot.

...and they had done it before and were not anticipating a problem. It's amazing how inconsistent cruise lines can be.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Just off "Breeze" where I took my GIGANTIC cheese cake back to the room from the steak house. Just about everyone else was doing the same thing as the desserts are so BIG that one is easily enough for two people,,,especially after devouring one of those fantastic steaks! ;)

"SKY"

Just got off the Legend recently, and my niece got sick...left the table before the food came. She did want her soup which would have been good for her. Her mom could take everything back BUT the soup. I even offered to put it in my insulated travel mug with tight fitting lid..............NO.

Next time I'll just do it/take it. The kid just wanted soup.

We have taken meals from the MDR when my kids were younger because they would literally fall asleep at the table and sleep through dinner. After their nap, they would be awake in the cabin and ready to eat. It worked well for us. We were also offered to take a meal to go on the Breeze in April because the service was so slow that my FIL left before receiving his meal. He has a medical condition and had to leave to go to the buffet to get food because he simply couldn't wait any longer. The waiter offered to give us his food, but we declined because we knew he went elsewhere to eat. If it is a rule, thats fine, but I hate the inconsistancy.