Snorkel Gear still available for sale on the ship?

SuntanaGirl

I've seen them before as well - seems it was only a basic snorkel. Not sure if they still sell them or not. I use the excursion provider's equipment when snorkeling and diving. They're supposedly dunked in a tank with sanitizing solution in it and salt water also kills germs. At least according to a family doctor we had many years ago who advised us to gargle with salt water at the first sign of a sore throat. I've never gotten sick from using them, but I can understand why people would be hesitant to risk it.

It was definitely for sale on the Paradise in December. I seriously considered buying a sea view full face mask, it was like $35. Normal mask and snorkel were available also. No fins

Edited by asalligo

It was definitely for sale on the Paradise in December. I seriously considered buying a sea view full face mask, it was like $35. Normal mask and snorkel were available also. No fins

Are you saying that the SHIP sells few view snorkel masks?! I kind of held off buying one for my cruise next weekend, but may do so if they are that convenient.

"They're supposedly dunked in a tank with sanitizing solution in it"

Supposedly, being the operative word here. Maybe a dozen times with no problem but what about the next time when you get really sick?
Nope, not going to chance it. We own and bring our personal equipment. But that's just us.

the full masks are dangerous, Google them, people have drowned. The are only for surface snorkeling. If you like to fully submerge, you need a regular mask and snorkel, preferably a dry snorkel, so you don't suck in water

the full masks are dangerous, Google them, people have drowned. The are only for surface snorkeling. If you like to fully submerge, you need a regular mask and snorkel, preferably a dry snorkel, so you don't suck in water

My google search turned up this: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=55216193

Aware of what the potential hazards are. Am comfortable using full facemask respirators from my job. And I'm a bad floater so I am almost exclusively a surface snorkeler (I have to use a floatation vest). I think through my research that it would work good for me compared to a traditional mask.

Edited by Ralphinsc

Pyrate, yes, that was exactly why I used the term supposedly - I see the bin, but have no way of knowing what is in it.

As far as the full mask snorkels, I have seen people using those & have wondered if they are a better option. I have problems with regular masks fitting my face very well. I have a friend who bought one for his son for swimming in the pool and he loves it. I just hate to spend the money on one to find they don't fit my face any better than a scuba mask.

As far as dry snorkels vs. regular snorkels - I think a dry snorkel is worth the extra money. It's frustrating to have to constantly clear your snorkel when you are in rough water or when you want to go under to look at something.

Pyrate, yes, that was exactly why I used the term supposedly - I see the bin, but have no way of knowing what is in it.

As far as the full mask snorkels, I have seen people using those & have wondered if they are a better option. I have problems with regular masks fitting my face very well. I have a friend who bought one for his son for swimming in the pool and he loves it. I just hate to spend the money on one to find they don't fit my face any better than a scuba mask.

As far as dry snorkels vs. regular snorkels - I think a dry snorkel is worth the extra money. It's frustrating to have to constantly clear your snorkel when you are in rough water or when you want to go under to look at something.

Snorkel Hint: Once you seat the Snorkel mask on your face, and before you get in the water, inhale through your nose to clear the air out of your mask and create a vacuum and suction inside the mask to make it seat much better to avoid leaks. Then breath through your mouth before and after you put the mouthpiece in.

Years ago, I bought a quality mask, snorkel and flipped kit for $30.

I added an inflatable vest to it .

Whenever I travel , I put this pack into my carryon

If you snorkel, highly recommend that u do the same

Fwiw, I’m a pretty good swimmer, but that vest is real nice to have if the water is choppy. Just put extra air in it and it’s amazing how well you can easily snorkel in water that has others fighting for their life !

Snorkel Hint: Once you seat the Snorkel mask on your face, and before you get in the water, inhale through your nose to clear the air out of your mask and create a vacuum and suction inside the mask to make it seat much better to avoid leaks. Then breath through your mouth before and after you put the mouthpiece in.

I always do this to check to be sure it will seal. No strap, just put on my face and inhale through nose. If it stays, I have a seal. I get them to seal ok, but still have problems once I am in the water. When diving, it is not as bad, since the depth under the water creates pressure. I haven't dove in a couple of years due to ear problems and not even sure I still have my mask & snorkel. Took forever to find the mask that fit me well. It's mostly when snorkeling that I have the most leakage. I keep my hair pulled back to keep it out of the seal as well. I don't worry about drowning, since I am breathing through the snorkel and not my nose, but if the salt water gets in my eyes, it burns so much. Maybe I should take duct tape...

One place where snorkelers should never rent a snorkel and mask is at Tabayana beach in Roatan. I've stayed at the hotel next door called Infinity Bay, and watched the local vendor clean the used masks and snorkels with a quick swish in the sea water. Cruise guests are usually back on the bus to the ships when this is going on.

I'm guessing most local shore vendors on any isle might do the same. Catamaran snorkel operators, both independents and those selected by the cruise lineshave to abide by sanitary regulations, so they are much safer than the guy on the beach.

IMO, everyone hates regulations until they see the need for them.

I was on the Breeze last month and saw full face snorkel masks for sale in the photo shop. I thought it was an odd place for them. I have no idea how much they were since I wasn't shopping for them. I only noticed them because someone else was looking at them and was asking one of the staff members about them.

I was on the Breeze last month and saw full face snorkel masks for sale in the photo shop. I thought it was an odd place for them. I have no idea how much they were since I wasn't shopping for them. I only noticed them because someone else was looking at them and was asking one of the staff members about them.

Full-face mask was $49.95 last week on the Vista, by the Pixels desk, where the cameras were for sale.. I'm wondering if maybe they had go-pro mounts on them, and were being used to try and upsell those looking at the GoPro cameras they were selling. $5 basic snorkel was available at Shore excursion desk, and IIRC a simple snorkel set was available in the Fun Shop, though I don't know the price.