usability@princesscruises.com email

msmoger

Has anyone received an email from this address? The subject of the email is "New website designs at Princess". This is what it says:

Hello members!

(If you have already received this message, please ignore. Apologies, I'm grooming this group list now. Thanks for your patience.)

The Princess Cruises web team has been working on designs for viewing the website on phones.

If you have a moment, please click the two links below to try out a couple of the designs.

DESIGN 1

DESIGN 2

Please feel free to reply to this email with your thoughts. Please be specific as there are a few different variations of each example.

Thank you for your help! We appreciate it and we're excited to have you involved.

Christi Thompson

User Experience Designer

It seemed a little strange to me and I am hesitant to click on the two links (DESIGN 1 and 2).

Edited by msmoger

I wouldn't click on any link. App developers have people who alpha and beta test designs and functionality. If Princess is really doing this (and I hope they are), you are better off downloading from the Apple App Store (or Google's store, etc.) after it's checked and approved for release.

I wouldn't do it. It sounds bogus.

I wouldn't click on any link. App developers have people who alpha and beta test designs and functionality. If Princess is really doing this (and I hope they are), you are better off downloading from the Apple App Store (or Google's store, etc.) after it's checked and approved for release.

I totally agree with both of you. I'm sure if it was legit many others would have received it and posted here. I'm thinking of reporting it to Princess.

And ...

If you did click any link like that ....

Run antivirus and spyware tools...

The only apps that I install directly on our phones are the ones that I write.

Android by default will block the installation of untrusted apps...

I also got it and clicked through. It was a survey and I don't do surveys for free so after a few questions I just deleted it. The world didn't come to an end and my computer is still functioning fine!

And the NSA is now seeing your every keystroke.

Folks, it's the Internet. It's good to be skeptical but, if in doubt, google it. I'm sure Christi is doing her best to make Princess' website a better experience.

Christi S. Thompson

User Experience Designer at Princess Cruises

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=17714025

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Folks, it's the Internet. It's good to be skeptical but, if in doubt, google it. I'm sure Christi is doing her best to make Princess' website a better experience.

Christi S. Thompson

It's very, very easy to create a masked email address that lures the recipient into clicking on a link. Almost anyone can do it and certainly a hacker would have no problem. If it is this person for real, then it's extremely unprofessional. The first line of protection is to NEVER click on a link in an unsolicited email from someone you don't know and if it is someone you know, check with them via other means to make sure it's legit. I still say it sounds very fishy.

Another reason why I think this is a fraud is because it would be so simple to use the Princess FB page to put a link to get feedback, or via Twitter. That's what a professional would do.

Edited by Pam in CA

Sounds like your email got hacked. :eek:

No it doesn't.

At worst it's a phishing mail, possibly a simple spam email, but it looks like mail was probably genuine but poor execution on Princess' part, not particularly well written. Princess should know not to send unsolicted type of email like that with embedded links and should just have a simple message stating that if you would like to take part in the appraisal of new designs then to go to the main Princess site and click on 'new site design' or something.

Kudos though to the OP for being suspicious, as we all should be with email.

Christi S. Thompson

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When someone is trying to scam you online, they often

use legitimate looking details. For instance, they would

send the mail from "Christi Thompson", not from "Online Hacker"

I suggest the folks who got this email simply look at the mail

headers, and see if it originated at Princess.

No it doesn't.

At worst it's a phishing mail, possibly a simple spam email, but it looks like mail was probably genuine but poor execution on Princess' part, not particularly well written. Princess should know not to send unsolicted type of email like that with embedded links and should just have a simple message stating that if you would like to take part in the appraisal of new designs then to go to the main Princess site and click on 'new site design' or something.

Kudos though to the OP for being suspicious, as we all should be with email.

I know right.

This is to replace the post I made yesterday before CC went down and on its return the post was missing. A while back I was contacted by Princess to be part of a focus group on their web site. I have had a number of e-mails like this and opened them with no problems. This e-mail was in the usual format but maybe sent to the wrong address list.

I also was asked if I would participate by answering a number of questions on design. I am surprised by people not wanting to participate given all the complaints about the current web site. I guess there will be no complaints in future.

One way to check this out (if you're really curious) is to go to the Princess site directly and get the customer service email address. Ask if this is legit, and add your concerns that if it is legitimate, that many people will feel it's a way to hack into people's email.

Last month, I got an email that supposedly was from Amazon, that mentioned an order that I had made. It's very rare that I do order anything online and it's probably been a few years since I have ordered off of Amazon. My concern was that someone was using my account on Amazon and ordering something to be sent to them but charged to me. But instead of clicking on the link, I checked one of my hubby's past orders and saw that the order number was way different in style than in this email. So I copied the header and sent the info to Amazon, who responded that no, this is not theirs, don't click on the link, but delete it.

Since then, I've heard that there's a really bad computer virus that seems to be linked to this type of email (where your computer is "kidnapped" until you pay a ransom).

So it pays to be cynical.

I have actually done just that. Even though I am quite sure they are legit, I have forwarded to Princess to confirm. If they are not, someone has done a lot of work to redo design for Princess.

So a couple of months ago I was asked to give feedback to Princess on their web design. The survey and the email that presented it to me had much the same characteristics of the post-cruise survey and originated from the Princess web domain. I completed the survey and had no ill effects - my computer is protected by daily virus scans and McAfee will tell me if I'm at a unsafe website.

Then I received the same email as the original poster. This email was much less professional and does look like it might have come from a phishing entity. There was no official look to the email, and while there was no virus alarm, it made no reference to my previous survey participation. Further it referenced page designs for mobile devices and it was sent to my computer email address. There were too many "hmmm"s for me to follow through with looking at the designs.

It could be that Christi is perfectly legitimate and is reaching out to the Princess customer base for opinion, but the email didn't reflect that. If she is real, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets very little input.

So a couple of months ago I was asked to give feedback to Princess on their web design. The survey and the email that presented it to me had much the same characteristics of the post-cruise survey and originated from the Princess web domain. I completed the survey and had no ill effects - my computer is protected by daily virus scans and McAfee will tell me if I'm at a unsafe website.

Then I received the same email as the original poster. This email was much less professional and does look like it might have come from a phishing entity. There was no official look to the email, and while there was no virus alarm, it made no reference to my previous survey participation. Further it referenced page designs for mobile devices and it was sent to my computer email address. There were too many "hmmm"s for me to follow through with looking at the designs.

It could be that Christi is perfectly legitimate and is reaching out to the Princess customer base for opinion, but the email didn't reflect that. If she is real, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets very little input.

Thanks for posting this. Unlike you I never participated in a previous survey and the email, in my opinion also was very unprofessional. There's no way I was going to trust the imbedded links. I also thought it was strange that the email referenced mobile devices given that it was sent to my home email address. I work for a very large tech services company and see phishing scams on a regular basis. There was no way I was going to risk clicking on those links.

Further it referenced page designs for mobile devices and it was sent to my computer email address.

Princess knows your computer e-mail address. It does not have access to any special messaging you have on a mobile device, so naturally it sent it to the known e-mail address.

It is best to be over cautious in this day and age. The email may be legit but I doubt many take the bait and click on it. BTW McAfee is probably the worst virus detection software on the market today.