Virtual Concierge

How often on a big cruise ship have you yearned for a higher level of service, fewer lines and the ability to get what you want, when you want it? Carnival Corporation today is launching a radical new technology, calling it Medallion Class Ocean Vacations to bring personalized service to big-ship cruising.

Read our piece and tell us: Which of these features most appeals to you? Does it intrigue you to try these specially outfitted ships, all of which are part of Princess Cruises' fleet? Weigh in below.

--Cruise Critic staff

Edited by CruiseCriticAUeditor

Isn't this similar to what happens at Walt Disney World with the bands? Have not been there since the introduction of the bands, but seems like a cool idea for Princess to try.

Easier to not lose your card if you are wearing it.

Very similar, Jennybenny -- in fact, the team that's creating this for Carnival Corporation developed Disney's magic bands. This one's using state-of-the-art technology and there are some cruise-centric differences. We got a chance to visit the company's innovation center in Miami to check out an early look, and think it's pretty cool!

There will be news coming out of the show this week and we're on our way to Las Vegas to cover it -- look forward to continuing to share new info.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Isn't this similar to what happens at Walt Disney World with the bands? Have not been there since the introduction of the bands, but seems like a cool idea for Princess to try.

Easier to not lose your card if you are wearing it.

meh. the only thing that maybe interests me is the 'streamlined' boarding..As long as it means a defined( and easy to find/access) separate entrance for security before leading directly to the ship to board

I suppose being able to order RS or meal from a MDR menu to your pool side lounger would be nice, as long as it really is that simple, but overall I can just see that creating a HUGE unsightly mess in public areas that the crew will not be able to keep up with.

One of the things that Carnival Corp. has really addressed here -- in theory for now, and I look forward to trying it out -- is how to make the first day of your cruise the first day of your vacation. In addition to the streamlined boarding, one thing that I liked was the fact that the newly redesigned terminal will feature a welcoming sort of living room area with staffers wandering around with iPads (sort of Apple Store-like) to help out with stuff. Also, understanding that there's always a bit of anxiety on boarding day about where to go to lunch, and invariably the big ships try to funnel most folks to over-crowded buffet venue (which doesn't make for a great first meal in many cases), part of the process is to have food service right in the terminal, so people can snack and nosh there. It's food from the ship's venues.

Carolyn

meh. the only thing that maybe interests me is the 'streamlined' boarding..As long as it means a defined( and easy to find/access) separate entrance for security before leading directly to the ship to board

I suppose being able to order RS or meal from a MDR menu to your pool side lounger would be nice, as long as it really is that simple, but overall I can just see that creating a HUGE unsightly mess in public areas that the crew will not be able to keep up with.

I assume this is the same, or similar technology as the MDE/MB system that has been in WDW for the last couple of years. What a money pit that turned out to be. And they still haven't been able to get it to operate smoothly and reliably. To say it's glitchy is an understatement. We have had multiple problems on all of our trips since the system was introduced.

So pardon me if I say that I will wait to see how well this new ship based system shakes out before I sail Princess.

Edited by mom says

Hi, Mom says. The technology is not quite the same as that that was created for Disney's bands. Acccording to Carnival Corporation, the Ocean Medallion and Concierge operate using several technologies, including Near Field Communication (NFC) and Blue Tooth Energy (BTE). Using that, the designers of the new system that Carnival's creating, proprietarily, xIOS. This stands for Experience Innovation Operating System, which is "an invisible network of interactive, intelligent sensors and embedded devices installed throughout the ship to create this experience."

We'll keep you posted on more details.

Carolyn

I assume this is the same, or similar technology as the MDE/MB system that has been in WDW for the last couple of years. What a money pit that turned out to be. And they still haven't been able to get it to operate smoothly and reliably. To say it's glitchy is an understatement. We have had multiple problems on all of our trips since the system was introduced.

So pardon me if I say that I will wait to see how well this new ship based system shakes out before I sail Princess.

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

First, I have to make it clear that I am a gadget freak. I am an early adopter and live by my smartphone, happily downloading and trying new apps for it. DH laughs at me because when we go to Outback, I insist on checking in (to the waitlist I added us to before leaving home) from my phone before we get out of the car rather than walking inside and telling the staff that we have arrived.

That said, I would expect massive problems in getting this system actually working. It is trying to do too much and that typically means nothing will work right, at least to start. They would have been smarter to start with one area, say embarkation (which pretty much everyone hates). A significant improvement there would have been hailed as a major breakthrough by all cruisers. (Depending on Apple technology is another drawback, it's proprietary and I'm sure Apple is making them pay through the nose.)

I'll be watching with curiosity but I don't think I'd want to be an early sailor on an equipped ship.

I think it sounds like a great idea. Anything that lessens the need to wait in line is a huge plus, whether at embarkation or making the reservations for shore excursions and on board mealtimes.

There may be a few who don't want their traveling companions to find them at the touch of a button, hehe. On the other hand, it could be very useful for parents or those traveling with elderly or disabled.

I hope they get it going successfully. There will probably be those here who aren't interested. I've been trying as I age to at least try new technologies and see if they are useful to me. I try to remember that i told my husband we would NEVER use that first microwave he brought home...

I just think this is misguided. Carnival already has technology that could be used to do this much better than some tacky medallion. That's their hub app, you could definitely develop these elements in to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How often on a big cruise ship have you yearned for a higher level of service, fewer lines and the ability to get what you want, when you want it?

--Cruise Critic staff[/b]

Yes I want higher level of service, BUT NOT MORE gimmicks and gadgets. Not more ways to track, up sell, and make it easy to charge me extra. WOW bands had RCL Quantum one, reminder at first FREE then charge, despite that it never worked worth a darn.

Was just on Oosterdam, signature suite updated, 110 plugs and usb charge ports each nightstand. Gorgeous 55" LG TV with on demand no charge movies etc. Now those are type of tech upgrades I want to see, not gimmick rfd chips so give them more ways to track what I might buy etc.

Oosterdam got us onboard quickly used MORE PEOPLE.

BS gimmicks are not what we need. They use these things to cut down staff. Service on ships down hill more everyday.

Did a road trip to Florida from NY stayed in Savannah stopped here and there on way to Tampa to sail Oosterdam. Meals were great, not junk they are now serving on ships and claiming as SPECIALTY. Inexpensive too, had meal ar Rue21 in Savannah cheaper than specialty restaurant and now even there add on charges. Personalized service, good selection, everything served as ordered and hot. Far better than what they now call dining on ships.

We are down from 4 cruises a year to 1 now. Holland America was as close to old style cruising I have seen but regulars there were crying about service changes etc. So I guess they are going way of the rest eventually. Mass market American style.

Disenchanted cruiser, technology is not a fix or replacement for SERVICE and QUALITY.

George in NY

Question, does this mean that a terrorist just can hot me over the head and walk on the ship with my tag thingee? No one checking my ID?

I love the Magic Bands technology at Disney and this is very similar to that. If it actually works as advertised, I think it will be a great addition to their offerings. Of course, I am one of those early adopters who jumps at the chance to try new tech. I can understand the hesitation by some. I guess we will have to wait and see how it unfolds. As long as it is truly a free service and you can opt out of it if you don't wish to use it, I think it is a great option. I especially like the option of having everything taken care of before hand and having your bags delivered to the ship without extra hassle, something Disney also offers.

> I want higher level of service, BUT NOT MORE gimmicks and gadgets

As long as I get what I want, quickly and correctly, I personally don't care whether that is done by a human or a gadget. If anything, the gadget has the *potential* to do a better job because it's never tired, never has eye trouble, never had a fight with the spouse, and never has the attitude of "I got the job, I don't have to actually work to earn my paycheck." One of my fantasies, if I had a few million dollars to play with, is to start a completely automated fast-food restaurant. People would key in their orders at a drive-through terminal and it would be prepared to their specs.

Of course, there is no guarantee that the software will work as it is supposed to, especially when it is assigned so many challenging tasks.

Oh well, we'll see.

Higher levels of service are available on luxury cruise lines and even mass market cruise lines with the ship within a ship concept. It's easy to avoid long lines by sailing on smaller ships.

From what I have read, this technology will offer Carnival more opportunities to upsell and not improve customer service. I don't want a crew member approaching me and offering a cocktail because the medallion that I am wearing is signalling the crew member which cocktail I drank last night. And I certainly don't want a crew member meeting me at the terminal at embarkation trying to get me to book specialty dining or excursions before I have stepped foot on the ship. If I haven't taken care of that on the cruise line's website already, it's because I don't want to.

It has been predicted that security and privacy surrounding devices like these will be the tech trend for 2017. I will pass on this for now.

The only lines I encountered on my Prinsendam cruise were for ethnic buffets in the main dining room and for security (x-ray) checks, don't see where wearable technology will speed up either. Wearable technology will not get me a beer any quicker in a crowded bar. Wearable technology will not eliminate announcements for double jackpot bingo, spa specials, acupuncture seminars or jewelry sales. I trust that Carnival Corporation will not make the tremendous investment in this technology without the expectation of increased profit, in part through reduced staffing. Waiters and stewards will be cut back in favor of the techies who have to debug the medallions. I see the technology benefiting Carnival Corporation, not cruisers, I want to take a cruise, not a Medallion Class Ocean Vacation.

• 5 months later...

I know this may sound trivial, but there is one thing I will miss with the new medallion thingy: the color-coded cruise cards that most folks wear on a lanyard while on the ship. It has been fun to be able to tell who is totally new to Princess (the blue cards), who is a "sophomore" (the gold cards), who is getting to be a little more advanced (the ruby/red cards), who is a genuine seasoned Princess traveler (the platinum cards), and who is the envy of us all (the black cards). Now we will all, based on the pictures I have seen, have a blue medallion that most won't even be wearing in plain sight. I like the technology aspect, just will miss the fun of the card-colors.

Haven't cruised Princess in a while but are Platinum on her.

This year we have cruised Carnival 6 times (we have 81 carnival cruises) and have two more Carnival cruises booked. So, we are Diamond and have privileges as Diamonds. Not interested in any medallions at all. I like seeing the color of sign 'n sail cards to so I know 1st time cruisers and then I can ask them when their next cruise will be!

I know this may sound trivial, but there is one thing I will miss with the new medallion thingy: the color-coded cruise cards that most folks wear on a lanyard while on the ship. It has been fun to be able to tell who is totally new to Princess (the blue cards), who is a "sophomore" (the gold cards), who is getting to be a little more advanced (the ruby/red cards), who is a genuine seasoned Princess traveler (the platinum cards), and who is the envy of us all (the black cards). Now we will all, based on the pictures I have seen, have a blue medallion that most won't even be wearing in plain sight. I like the technology aspect, just will miss the fun of the card-colors.

Haven't cruised Princess in a while but are Platinum on her.

Never used a lanyard. I don't think that "most people" do use one.

This year we have cruised Carnival 6 times (we have 81 carnival cruises) and have two more Carnival cruises booked. So, we are Diamond and have privileges as Diamonds. Not interested in any medallions at all. I like seeing the color of sign 'n sail cards to so I know 1st time cruisers and then I can ask them when their next cruise will be!

A blue card doesn't mean a first time cruiser. It just means first time on Princess or someone who, no matter how many Princess cruises they have, is not yet 18 years of age.