50 minute flight layover in AMS

mickeysgal

We are wanting to book a Delta flight from Atl to Stockholm. Delta has one that arrives early morning in Amsterdam and has a 50 minute layover before the second leg to Stockholm. All flight segments are Delta. It appears a bit tight to me, considering that I'll have to go through customs in Amsterdam. I've never been to AMS...is it doable? Then again, I was the one last year that had a 55 minute layover in Frankfurt and made it, including going through customs. That was tight!

Would not do it. All of your segments are not all Delta - they are code shared. Chance are your flight from Amsterdam to Stockholm is really KLM and you would check in with them, not with Delta.

Would not do it. All of your segments are not all Delta - they are code shared. Chance are your flight from Amsterdam to Stockholm is really KLM and you would check in with them, not with Delta.

First part of this is correct - Amsterdam to Stockholm is operated by KLM. But the second part isn't necessarily true. I usually get boarding passes for both flights when I check in with Delta in the USA. Then I just show that boarding pass in AMS to board. No "checking in" at all.

Also, you don't go through customs in AMS. You go through immigration but that is just showing your passport and boarding pass.

Having said all that, though 50 minutes is probably a legal connection in AMS and chances are that you will arrive in AMS early from the USA (it happens a lot), I too would not book a 50 minute connection. I had an 80 minute connection in AMS earlier this week from the USA to Europe. Our flight arrived about 1/2 hour early. That even gave me enough time to take a shower. But 60-80 minutes are the absolute minimum I am comfortable with as an experienced traveler who knows the AMS airport fairly well.

You will get both boarding cards upon departure at the US.

I'd take the flight. Yes, chances are you might miss it, but AMS has so many options to get your to anywhere within Europe, specially when you arrive in the morning.

If the price difference is significant (and it often is on shorter connections), I'd take it.

Your bags will be checked through to Stockholm as well.

With that experience in mind, JVilleGal, I'd like to add I arrived 1.30 hours early from DTW last year, so that's absolutely not a reference whatsoever. On the other hand, because of a turn in the jet stream above the Atlantic, east bound flights tend to arrive early over the last couple of weeks/months. Of course, that's not taken any technical or operational delay into account.

AMS is also one of my favorite airports to connect through when I'm not taking a direct flight to my home airport.

Normally, I am not in favor of booking short connections, but I'd take this one if the prices are really lower. And in case you miss your connecting flight, KLM will rerout you and your bags in a minute. KLM alone has 4 daily flights to Stockholm, so there's enough flights as an alternative.

You might end up getting on the flight you'd wanted to choose in the first place, but with quite some $$ saved.

50 minutes is the legal minimum connecting time, but it's possible.

We were 45 min late due to Tarmac delays at SFO. Delays happen as do schedule changes which put this itinerary at risk from the get go. JMHO

PS yes it was a direct KLM flight SFO to Amsterdam

Edited by JVilleGal

I worked at AMS for 11,5 years for KLM and partners. It is a legal connection, but only just. That said, the morning flights from the US regularly come in early ahead of schedule.

If you are able bodied and a savvy traveller, you may make it. Prepare by not taking too much hand luggage and do not stop for anything in the airport (toilet, coffee, buying something, etc). If your flight comes in a little late, ask for KLM assistence to drive you there or get your through passport control, or at least ask for a KLM employee to call ahead to the gate to say you are on your way.

If you do not make it, it is not the end of the world. As others have pointed out, there are many flights to Scandinavia from AMS.

IF you flight is on time, it is doable. However chances are your luggage will not make it.

All the better then - your luggage will be delivered to your lodging later that day or the next day. No need to schlep it yourself. As one who always takes a change of clothes and toiletries in my carry on luggage, I actually like it when my checked luggage arrives on a later flight :)