Parent Waiver Form for Beer/Wine

Has anyone used the Parent Waiver Form? Would DS get a sticker or something on his S&S card like the UBP?

My DS will be 20 if/when we cruise next spring. I'm trying to convince him to come with us. His sister is only 7 so he's worried he'll be bored. Impossible, I told him.

He's not 100% he wants to come with us because he's concerned about not being able to purchase alcohol/UBP (Nova Scotia = legal age 19) *priorities, I tell ya*

I keep telling him it's a FREE trip...take it! LOL

Has anyone used the Parent Waiver Form? Would DS get a sticker or something on his S&S card like the UBP?

My DS will be 20 if/when we cruise next spring. I'm trying to convince him to come with us. His sister is only 7 so he's worried he'll be bored. Impossible, I told him.

He's not 100% he wants to come with us because he's concerned about not being able to purchase alcohol/UBP (Nova Scotia = legal age 19) *priorities, I tell ya*

I keep telling him it's a FREE trip...take it! LOL

When you check in he will receive a cabin card with the corner clipped indicated underage. After you've signed the form at guest services (both of you have to be there I believe) then he is issued a new card without the corner clipped and with "PC" stamped on it (at least that is how I remember it).

I keep telling him it's a FREE trip...take it! LOL[/quote

If I remember correctly from 2013, my 18 and 20 year old had their card's corner cut when I signed the consent on the ship for them to have beer and wine. Either that or a sticker was put on the card but I think the card was cut.

I hope you and yours have a great cruise!

They cut the corner of my daughters card. And since our last names are different, just to be on the safe side I brought birth certificates and copy of my marriage license showing how my last name went from hers to what it currently is now.

Just curious...I thought any cruise originating in the US had a 21 age minimum on drinking. Or am I confusing it with other lines? I know I had a friend with a young adult son who was of age in the UK, but not here, and he refused to take US originating cruises until he was 21, but would go if it was sailing on the other side of the pond. Again, priorities, lol.

Just curious...I thought any cruise originating in the US had a 21 age minimum on drinking. Or am I confusing it with other lines? I know I had a friend with a young adult son who was of age in the UK, but not here, and he refused to take US originating cruises until he was 21, but would go if it was sailing on the other side of the pond. Again, priorities, lol.

Parents can sign a form for a child 18+ which allows those under 21 to drink beer and wine.

If I remember correctly from 2013, my 18 and 20 year old had their card's corner cut when I signed the consent on the ship for them to have beer and wine. Either that or a sticker was put on the card but I think the card was cut.

I hope you and yours have a great cruise!

I just found DS#1's first cabin card and the corners aren't cut and PC is imprinted on the card.

My son's (19) card wasn't cut on Breakaway. At 6:00pm we went to Guest Services where I signed the Parental Consent Form. He then received a new card with PC on it. He was able to buy his own wine and/or beer for the rest of our cruise.

~Robin

My son's (19) card wasn't cut on Breakaway. At 6:00pm we went to Guest Services where I signed the Parental Consent Form. He then received a new card with PC on it. He was able to buy his own wine and/or beer for the rest of our cruise.

~Robin

Did you have to wait until 6pm to do it?

I don't think you have to wait until 6:00. It was just a convenient time for us. Getting out into international waters so no tax on drinks and a less busy time at GS. Very easy to do and it took all of 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

~Robin

They cut the corner of my daughters card. And since our last names are different, just to be on the safe side I brought birth certificates and copy of my marriage license showing how my last name went from hers to what it currently is now.

Oh right! My DS and I have different last names now! Good thought on bringing his birth certificate, but now I need to find my marriage license! That oughta take a while.

Did you need to show them the documents?

I don't think you have to wait until 6:00. It was just a convenient time for us. Getting out into international waters so no tax on drinks and a less busy time at GS. Very easy to do and it took all of 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

~Robin

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if there was a certain time that you had to go or not.

My son was 20 when we went from Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn. He got a new card also. He found out very quickly that they let him order ANY drink (not just beer and wine). He is well traveled and has been on multiple cruises and said that that cruise was one of the best times of his life. Tons of kids his own age.

Oh right! My DS and I have different last names now! Good thought on bringing his birth certificate, but now I need to find my marriage license! That oughta take a while.

Did you need to show them the documents?

To be honest I don't remember if they ended up looking at it or not. I had needed my marriage license and birth certificate when I had my drivers license changed when we moved to Georgia so I already had everything on hand at home and brought it just in case.

Is this allowed on Alaska cruises? We are leaving out of Seattle and will have a 19 almost 20 year old with us. Thanks.

From the NCL website:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

I think NCL is the only US cruise line with this policy. I know Royal doesn't and I don't think Carnival allows it either.

My son was 20 when we went from Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn. He got a new card also. He found out very quickly that they let him order ANY drink (not just beer and wine). He is well traveled and has been on multiple cruises and said that that cruise was one of the best times of his life. Tons of kids his own age.

Is this a typical thing? I'm a 20 year old British guy cruising next month on the Jade, and my parents won't have a problem with my drinking (After all, I can legally drink as much as I want at home) however I've been known to prefer a vodka/lemonade or even a cocktail at times as opposed to a beer.

I mean I'll happily have a few beers if that's all they'll give me but I like choice :D

I think NCL is the only US cruise line with this policy. I know Royal doesn't and I don't think Carnival allows it either.

Weirdly enough, NCL is happy to allow beer and wine on American cruises, the others not doing so, and yet on European cruises RCI allows ALL alcohol to be purchased by 18-20s with no waiver form.

So, NCL is technically more lenient for 18-20s on American cruises than RCI but yet stricter for those on European cruises.

Is this a typical thing? I'm a 20 year old British guy cruising next month on the Jade, and my parents won't have a problem with my drinking (After all, I can legally drink as much as I want at home) however I've been known to prefer a vodka/lemonade or even a cocktail at times as opposed to a beer.

I mean I'll happily have a few beers if that's all they'll give me but I like choice :D

Weirdly enough, NCL is happy to allow beer and wine on American cruises, the others not doing so, and yet on European cruises RCI allows ALL alcohol to be purchased by 18-20s with no waiver form.

So, NCL is technically more lenient for 18-20s on American cruises than RCI but yet stricter for those on European cruises.

Actually I believe NCL lets 18 year olds and older drink on European cruises.

Edited by sparks1093

From the NCL website:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

So the age modification doesn't apply for Alaska and Seattle...I'm taking that to mean it's 21 only. We sail on Jewel next weekend. My DD doesn't drink, but we would have let her enjoy a glass of wine with us at dinner if she'd like. Maybe in a few years. :p

So the age modification doesn't apply for Alaska and Seattle...I'm taking that to mean it's 21 only. We sail on Jewel next weekend. My DD doesn't drink, but we would have let her enjoy a glass of wine with us at dinner if she'd like. Maybe in a few years. :p

They won't question her at dinner. They have been trying to give mine a glass of wine at dinner (when we order a bottle) since she was 14 :rolleyes: Wine with meals is extremely common in all cultures except Americans.

Edited by SissasMomE

They won't question her at dinner. They have been trying to give mine a glass of wine at dinner (when we order a bottle) since she was 14 :rolleyes: Wine with meals is extremely common in all cultures except Americans.

That's a broad generalization that just isn't so.

You cannot go out to dinner anywhere here in the US and be served a glass of wine at 16 years old. You can throughout most of Europe. It is not a "broad generalization" it is 100% true. I've had wine with dinner since I was maybe 13, and was certainly offered "tastes" well before then.

+1

Even if talking only about Europe as other parts of the world, it only applies to the traditional wine countries in Central and Southern Europe - a lot of European countries where that is not a norm (I'd say a majority is just like US).