Carnival Liberty draw scam!!! I Won!, Wish I didn't!

Hersheepeg

It's not a "scam." You're not out any money. You just wasted your time on something you didn't want.

Amazing how people complain about winning $50 gift certificate, that cost them ZERO... You often wonder if they open their Sunday paper and complain about the 50 cent off coupons and wonder why nothing is free... Some people just have to complain about everything.

I am still trying to figure out the "Scam" in all of this?

Edited by poison7fl

I disagree with what the OP is saying. I've been to these spa raffles several times because I love going to the spa. It is a great time to find out about the services and see the facilities on the tour. My husband and I both attend. On one of the cruises, I won a 1/2 hour massage and a sugar salt scrub. It wasn't worth a $$$ value, you just got the service. On our last cruise, my husband won $500 worth of those Elementis products or whatever they are.. this was a little dramatic because he had to sign up for the "free consultation" where they tried to get you to buy more than $500 worth of products. We didn't of course, but we still wasted time, HOWEVER, we left with $500 of products. So in both cases, going to the spa raffle was worth our time. The prizes vary from ship to ship and most of the treatments have to be done on a day when you are in port (obviously because that is the slowest time for the spa). So there are catches, but I wouldn't call it a scam.

In my opinion, the fewer people that go after reading threads like this, the better for me, since I will probably win more raffles. :D

Edited by AmandaKaye79

The talks I have gone to from the gym training staff - giving quasi medical advice on diet, etc - have been useless and verging on dangerous advice.

They don't have a background in medicine or nursing & they aren't licensed dieticians. I told the guy advising our group who said "it's impossible to drink too much water - you can't hurt yourself doing that" that he was mistaken. People die of water intoxication, believe it or not. Healthy people. And for those who had medical conditions the possibility of harm is greater.

Time is Money, everyone knows that. And to those who are saying this is not a scam... You must be joking.:confused::eek:

Spending $9 on a drink is a rip off, yet you pay it... You spend $20 on photos, which is a rip off, yet you pay it... You spend $50/pp on a bus excursion that you could have paid a taxi $10, yet you pay it.... THOSE are scams.. You pay $6 for Starbucks coffee that is worth the water that's in it, yet you pay it.

The "Time is Money" line doesn't work on vacation. Nobody was forced into winning a $50 gift certificate, nor was anyone forced to use it..

YOU must be joking! :cool:

This is just another example of why CCL targets new cruisers as opposed to repeat cruisers........They don't know any better yet! :D:eek:

You are so right about that! We don't get targeted for anything from Carnival. No newsletters, no phone calls from PVPs, no solicitations in the mail like we get from other cruise lines. Maybe it's because we don't participate in any of the "scams" that they try to get people to participate in. Never had a massage or any spa treatments. IMHO they are too high priced and the sales pitch I've heard about is a real turn off. Our S&S card is always very low - we don't buy much of anything on board.

Just came home from the Dream. We were in a elevator one afternoon and a guy got in with us and said he had just gotten a massage and it was great, but....then said the up sale after cost him $400.00 :eek:

Spending $9 on a drink is a rip off, yet you pay it... You spend $20 on photos, which is a rip off, yet you pay it... You spend $50/pp on a bus excursion that you could have paid a taxi $10, yet you pay it.... THOSE are scams.. You pay $6 for Starbucks coffee that is worth the water that's in it, yet you pay it.

The "Time is Money" line doesn't work on vacation. Nobody was forced into winning a $50 gift certificate, nor was anyone forced to use it..

YOU must be joking! :cool:

Interesting analogy:eek:.... It's a scam!:cool:

Edited by Gilgo Surfer

First of all, you're upset with Steiner Leisure, not Carnival. They're an outside company who runs the spa (and about 75% of the cruise ship spa industry). You could have left at any time... You're not out any money and you didn't have pay to enter their drawing. Did you think they were giving away $500 out of the goodness of their heart? They're a business who where making new customers aware of what they offered. They were GIVING AWAY $50 credits every 10 minutes, which you won and were under no obligation to use, and yet you're upset that you weren't given something free and it's a scam???? It's called a promotion. There's a little known secret obout these cruise ships.... They're a business trying to make money. If you didn't like what you were seeing after 10 minutes, walk away. Nobody owes you anything and there certainly wasn't a "scam". I'm sure many of the winners were happy to apply a 25% discount off their $200 treatment. If you're not interested, walk away and enjoy your vacation.....

Thats a little harsh dont you think. And I never heard of Steiner Whats-his-face, I pay Carvinal.

You need to look up the definition of the word "scam." It's a contest with a sakes tactic attached to it.

No, it's a scam. If it were not a scam, the $50 GIFT certificate would have been treated like cash and applicable towards ANY spa treatment whether is was a special or otherwise. This was a deceptive act... A scam.

Edited by Gilgo Surfer

• 5 years later...
As soon as we boarded the Carnival Liberty in March, we were bombarded by people from the spa department. They told us to go to the Spa immediately to enter to win a $500.00 gift certificate for the Spa. So we went and entered. We were told we had to come back at 5:00pm for the draw. (have to be present to win). So there we are, ship is leaving Miami, and my GF and I are jammed pack in the "gym" portion waiting for this "draw" to take place. Must of been 300 people jammed in that space. All of a sudden, we get a lecture on services they offer, and then they do a draw for $50.00. They go on and on and tied up close to an hour drawing $50.00 every 10 min. I WON!!! Go to book our Spa package and use the "$50.00" certificate, and was told it was only good on regular priced spas! LMAO everything was on sale, and if you wanted to use it the spa packages started at $205.00. What a scam! What a way to force you to see what the Spa offers.

Don't waste your time with this "draw" as its bogus.

BTW we never did see a $500.00 winner.........:cool:

We seen this on the Vista in #September and what really left us with the thought we as a group would never do any #drawings again #onboard #carnival was watched the CD's assistant pick through the box of names! She literally PICKED & CHOSE what name was the winner! A drawing should be a draw where the name is just random picked out in a second! Never again will we give up our time for what appeared to be a serious SET UP!

We seen this on the Vista in #September and what really left us with the thought we as a group would never do any #drawings again #onboard #carnival was watched the CD's assistant pick through the box of names! She literally PICKED & CHOSE what name was the winner! A drawing should be a draw where the name is just random picked out in a second! Never again will we give up our time for what appeared to be a serious SET UP!

Why didn't you just start a new thread describing your experience?

Twice now we have gotten a $50 spa "gift card" from Carnival (once for DH's birthday and once for mine). We couldn't find any product or service that we were remotely interested in that was worth what they were charging even with the card applied. And we couldn't transfer the card to someone else. We didn't use either one. Not a scam exactly, because the card would have been accepted for any service or product, but there was nothing we wanted that was affordable.

As soon as we boarded the Carnival Liberty in March, we were bombarded by people from the spa department. They told us to go to the Spa immediately to enter to win a $500.00 gift certificate for the Spa. So we went and entered. We were told we had to come back at 5:00pm for the draw. (have to be present to win). So there we are, ship is leaving Miami, and my GF and I are jammed pack in the "gym" portion waiting for this "draw" to take place. Must of been 300 people jammed in that space. All of a sudden, we get a lecture on services they offer, and then they do a draw for $50.00. They go on and on and tied up close to an hour drawing $50.00 every 10 min. I WON!!! Go to book our Spa package and use the "$50.00" certificate, and was told it was only good on regular priced spas! LMAO everything was on sale, and if you wanted to use it the spa packages started at $205.00. What a scam! What a way to force you to see what the Spa offers.

Don't waste your time with this "draw" as its bogus.

BTW we never did see a $500.00 winner.........:cool:

Yep, been there done that. Even in the fun shops you get tied up with a sales pitch but then that is why they do it. It wouldnt be so bad if they just accepted it even on sale prices. When it happened to me years ago I never have gone back. I probably have now saved 2 or 3000 in massages i didnt get.

We went to a spa tour on our 1st day of a spa balcony cruise on the Horizon. We did get to see most of the spa rooms, but had to stand through sales presentations for lots of services, like teeth whitening. acupuncture or BMI , that we had no interest in doing. We had already pre-booked days and times for a few therapies, so the look behind the scenes was a good preview, but we could have done without six extraneous five minute sales pitches.

We did enjoy the services we pre-booked, but concluded at the end of the week that having a spa balcony wasn't all that great. JMO, and YMMV.

What's with all of the hashtags? Did you copy this off of twitter or something? Oh..and this thread is so old...It's older than my first cruise.

first of all, you're upset with steiner leisure, not carnival. They're an outside company who runs the spa (and about 75% of the cruise ship spa industry). You could have left at any time... You're not out any money and you didn't have pay to enter their drawing. Did you think they were giving away $500 out of the goodness of their heart? They're a business who where making new customers aware of what they offered. They were giving away $50 credits every 10 minutes, which you won and were under no obligation to use, and yet you're upset that you weren't given something free and it's a scam???? It's called a promotion. There's a little known secret obout these cruise ships.... They're a business trying to make money. If you didn't like what you were seeing after 10 minutes, walk away. Nobody owes you anything and there certainly wasn't a "scam". I'm sure many of the winners were happy to apply a 25% discount off their $200 treatment. If you're not interested, walk away and enjoy your vacation.....
wow

Yes, but at least with the art auctions, you get a glass of "champagne", an opportunity to sit down (as opposed to standing at the spa drawing), and the chance to laugh (at least to yourself) at some of the worst "art" that I've ever seen. Thirty minutes at the art auction is actually a much better show than any of the comics I've seen in the Punchliner Club.

On a related note, we were on the Conquest last week and there was a jewelry store "raffle" posted in the fun times. My wife wanted to attend, so I went with her. It never happened. We asked about it and were told it would be the following night. It was not. As far as I know it never happened, just something to get you in the jewelry store I assume. No, we didn't buy anything there, never have and never will.