Antartica

Herman The Cat

Hello,

We are considering Antartica on the Explorer with some friends. Any thoughts/comments in regard to the weather/roughness of seas in January and February? Our friends, who have never cruised on Silversea before, mentioned a French line called Le Ponant. Apparently a friend of theirs just returned and said it was wonderful. Any comments/comparisons between that line...and also the caliber of guides in general?

Thanks in advance.

Herman, while you wait for people to reply who can hopefully give you some comparisons, you may find this thread interesting if not seen already

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1952372

I thought I'd posted in it some time ago, but don't see my posts so perhaps i just lurked.

My parents in law are French, love Silversea and have sailed Ponant. They haven't sailed either line in the Antarctic though.

The line is very French in feel, and that may or may not be a problem for you. (I'm guessing from what I know of reading your CC posts that it wouldn't be).

They prefer the food on Ponant although it's not all classic French cooking. They just feel that the quality and variety is somewhat better.

Otherwise they definitely prefer SS over Ponant.

I am sure that if they were doing an Antarctic cruise they'd choose the Explorer rather than Le Boréal or whichever ship Ponant use these days.

We went to the Antarctic last February. I did a long review on my return, if you search on the explorer you will find it, under the user name fudge. That will answer a lot of your questions.

Hope this helps.

We were on the Silver Explorer 3 Jan 2014 for which PaulMCO has written a 'Short Review' with great pictures (earlier on this forum). It included visiting the Falklands and South Georgia as well as Antarctica which we would recommend. We saw Ponant's L'Austral at the dock in Ushuaia and at sea in South Georgia. She looked magnificent but cannot say more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed on the Silver Explorer (then PA II) to the Arctic in June of 2010 and on the L'Austral (Ponant) to the Antarctic in December of 2011. We loved both ships and cruises.

We were back on the Silver Explorer in May 2013 for a cruise and the experience was sub-par. IMHO, the ship needs a lot of rehab. Food was hit and miss and service was spotty. The Silver Explorer is smaller and much older than the L'Austral and her sisters. The food and service was better on Ponant. On the whole, I would sail on Ponant until Silversea addresses the shortcomings on the Silver Explorer. I hope the upcoming dry dock (rumored?) is the answer.

Sailed on PA II maiden voyage to Arctic and had a great time. The ship is old and needed help even then. Was a visitor on Le Boreal this past fall. The ship is simply beautiful, the food was great. Don't get me wrong, I love SS. Having an expdition cruise choice it would be--Le Boreal--. Van

First, thank you all so much for the excellent comments and information. I'm sorry for the delay in responding but I've been on a business trip and internet has been spotty.

It sounds like Le Ponant is definitely worth considering. I hadn't heard of them so was quite suspect. But overall the comments on the ship (new) and the food seem to be very good whereas the Explorer needs a serious drydock. I assume the expedition staff/lecturers will be equally skilled/knowledgable?

I did check out the Ponant website and it is quite awkward and difficult to navigate.

I guess the other option is Linblad, but that would definitely not be the caliber of SS or Ponant? But would the expedition staff/lecturers be better on that line, or not necessarily so?

Thanks again.

whereas the Explorer needs a serious drydock.

Sorry to hear that. Why is SS allowing the expedition ships to become tatty...

There was a tv documentary about Ponant's first Antarctic cruise which I think was on Le Boréal. I don't know if you could track it down online, it would definitely be worth watching and would probably sway you towards Boreal. It did show a couple of landings and some of the leaders etc.

It was part of a series called 'Mighty Ships' , definitely worth a Google.

Here it is on Vimeo.

Enjoy it, I think I'll watch it again this afternoon. If I was doing Antarctica, as a Seabourn fan they'd be my first choice now that their first season there has gone so well, but I'd also consider Ponant. I didn't realise the Explorer is in need of some TLC.

I respectfully disagree with those saying Explorer is desperately in need of a refurb, tatty, etc. We have been 3x and I wonder if we sailed on a different ship! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is that the sentiment is too skewed towards the negative here.

Maybe we were distracted by the scenery and surroundings, but I found nothing to complain about regarding the condition of the ship. And the food is fine too. We are not booked on Explorer again, but that's because we found other itineraries that interest us more this year. Would go back without hesitation.

I sailed Silver Explorer only so can't make a comparison; however, whichever ship you choose, I recommend the itinerary that includes South Georgia Island. I prefer the January (vs November) itinerary as the chicks are of nice size and active.

Marc

Hi, I have not been on the Explorer, but did sail on Le Boreal to Antarctica in January of 2012. It was done via A&K, who had leased the boat and staff (with the exception of their own Cruise Director and Expedition Leaders) from Ponant. The ship is great - and spacious, since although it is a 300-passenger ship, for Antarctica, they only take 200 passengers (due to regulations in Antarctica restricting the number of passengers who can be on land at any one time).

The weather for our trip was fabulous. I made sure to bring all the layers, etc - and they do provide the parka. But maybe we were just lucky, but I found it quite mild. Much like winter (normal winters, that is!) in New Jersey. Some days I was on deck with just shirt sleeves!

A&K provided fabulous guides and expedition leaders. If there are better ones out there, I would love to see them. And second the recommendation to choose a trip that includes South Georgia. Not to be missed.

Oh, and part of the reason I chose A&K/Le Boreal is that my husband didn't want to go, and the single supplement for the A&K trip was only 30% compared to 100% for Silversea and others. I saw it as quite a deal!

I can't wait to go back - next time, I will convince my husband to go as well!

Thanks JP you have reassured me as we sail on the 2nd December first time on Explorer. Looking forward to our adventure. I did read that on Seabourn you were limited on Zodiac excursions due to passenger numbers and that it could not make certain landings due to ice. I gather that Explorer being an expedition ship can plough through the ice.

Agree with JP. We did not feel the Explorer was 'less' than the other Silversea ships. The only downside is the lack of bar and lounge space but it is such an active and sociable trip that it really does not matter. She is going into dry dry dock in May but we didn't feel it was a desperate need. The people on board were WONDERFUL (crew, lecturers, passengers) and the itinerary including Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica is also Wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you to all for the reassurances about Explorer, my PIL's have two cruises booked quite soon, in May and at the end of June. It's been a year or two since they last were onboard so they were a little bit concerned by some feedback here about the state of the expedition ships in general.

Thank you to all for the reassurances about Explorer, my PIL's have two cruises booked quite soon, in May and at the end of June. It's been a year or two since they last were onboard so they were a little bit concerned by some feedback here about the state of the expedition ships in general.

Agreed...I am glad for the reassurances as SS is our first choice and we would prefer a smaller ship--and i know that JP has sailed several times on the Explorer through the years which is helpful. Of course, with the number of days we have on SS that would be an incentive as well.

Interesting info about January being better because of the size of the chicks.

Does anyone have any idea how big the swells can get? Above 15'? There are some pretty wild videos on youtube.

We travelled - first time with SSC - to South Georgia and Antarctica last November. As previously stated we are huge Seabourn fans, but are sold on Silversea Expeditions.

The smaller ship size is really the way to go.

We did see one of the "french" ships while down there - it might have been the Boreal - not sure. Our Expedition Leader, Conrad, pointed it out and it sure was beautiful. What I know is that when they left one of their landings we were able to go in around dinner time for our third landing of the day, and made a quick 45 minute ( per group ) stop - during and extended dinner!!!!

That's what I loved about the Explorer - the flexibility. I just wonder if that will be possible with the bigger expedition ships.

The Explorer was certainly not the most luxurious ship I have ever sailed on. But we fell in love. Yes she can do with a bit of a make over, but I hope they do not change to much as she has a special atmosphere.

We have now signed up for two more Silversea trips, both on the Discoverer. Just hope the refit we were told about during a trade show will leave the ship as comfortable as advertised. We are taking advantage of the free air offer, but really want to see more Penguins in New Zealand and bears in Siberia.

Anyway, getting off topic. The Silver Explorer is a great little ship, and if I ever had to go back to Antarctica and South Georgia I would choose her. I would also go in November again. Although the beginning of the season, it means ( so we were told by the Expedition staff ) that we had more snow and ice. We even landed on a huge ice flow and had hot chocolate served to us by the Restaurant team!

It was a magical trip - you will have a wonderful time!!!!!

It ia always a bit of a gamble.It can be a millpond or it can be very rough.

When we were returning from Antarctica,though to New Zealand,the waves were 13 metres with an occasional wave getting to 18 metres.That is 42 to 58 feet.Didn't have to worry about getting a seat at meals!

It was on the Orion,pretty well the same size as the Explorer.We were on deck 5 and the waves were breaking over our balcony.

We travelled - first time with SSC - to South Georgia and Antarctica last November. As previously stated we are huge Seabourn fans, but are sold on Silversea Expeditions.

The smaller ship size is really the way to go.

We did see one of the "french" ships while down there - it might have been the Boreal - not sure. Our Expedition Leader, Conrad, pointed it out and it sure was beautiful. What I know is that when they left one of their landings we were able to go in around dinner time for our third landing of the day, and made a quick 45 minute ( per group ) stop - during and extended dinner!!!!

That's what I loved about the Explorer - the flexibility. I just wonder if that will be possible with the bigger expedition ships.

The Explorer was certainly not the most luxurious ship I have ever sailed on. But we fell in love. Yes she can do with a bit of a make over, but I hope they do not change to much as she has a special atmosphere.

We have now signed up for two more Silversea trips, both on the Discoverer. Just hope the refit we were told about during a trade show will leave the ship as comfortable as advertised. We are taking advantage of the free air offer, but really want to see more Penguins in New Zealand and bears in Siberia.

Anyway, getting off topic. The Silver Explorer is a great little ship, and if I ever had to go back to Antarctica and South Georgia I would choose her. I would also go in November again. Although the beginning of the season, it means ( so we were told by the Expedition staff ) that we had more snow and ice. We even landed on a huge ice flow and had hot chocolate served to us by the Restaurant team!

It was a magical trip - you will have a wonderful time!!!!!

Agree with your comments 100%. We are back on 21 January from our cruise. Yes a little worn and need of some freshening. But you are on an expedition. We also just signed up for an Arctic cruise on Explorer in 2015.

,the waves were 13 metres with an occasional wave getting to 18 metres.

:eek:

I struggle with 4 metre waves! I'm the biggest wimp on the ship.

I look at pics taken by Antarctica cruisers and it looks so amazing, but I'll never go just because of my fear of such bad seas.

This post just reinforced it :D