Stinky toilets???

ksmith3975

As I type this I am sitting on the summit pulling into cape liberty, the cruise was great. Our sky suite comfortable, butler great, food outstanding. As long as celebrity doesn't price me out I will remain a loyal customer. However after sailing on the equinox, eclipse and presently the summit it seems that no matter what the toilets always stink. It's the huge black eye on all of my cruising experiences, I dread using the bathroom. In port I purchased a small box of powdered tide detergent to add to every flush just to sweeten the flushing experience. My wife feels the same way, do we have over sensitive noses or do others have this issue?

I can understand wanting to "sweeten" the smell, but adding anything other than your own, well, refuse to the toilets is a bad bad idea. Those things are very sensitive. It's not like a normal toilet that has pipes leading to a nice big sanitation plant, it's all processed on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just make sure to close the lid first. If it has good pressure, we're good. Only time I've ever had a big issue with the smell was on Legend of the Seas. I thought it was the usual (all lines) sewer smell you get sometimes, but it was coming from the TAP WATER! I'd been brushing my teeth and taking pills with that. Turns out the crew doesn't drink water from the tap and when asked the chief engineer said to drink the filtered water from the buffet.

It wasn't toxic but it sure smelled bad. LOTS had just been to dry dock, but they didn't improve the aged water filtration system.

Agree it's probably not best to add stuff to "the mix".

It isn't you. I have had that unpleasant experience as well. I think there is some sort of deodorizer in the bathroom, that may be out of the stuff it should have. We have sailed on the Summit several times, some times good, one time stinky. Sailing again next week. I will bring it to our steward's attention if a problem.

There is so much to pack, I hate to anticipate problems and bring fabreeze.

QVC dot com has it.

The TV hosts are a riot trying to sell it, but people must buy, as they keep having it on.

RE odors, I always bring with a Glade hanging thing - scented cardboard sort of thing. I hang it right inside the cabin door. If needed, I can move it to the bathroom easily.

Before I accidentally start a flame about people with sensitive noses and other people's perfumes, know that no one can smell it unless they are in the cabin. Odor fades as soon as I remove it at check out.

We bring one of those Glade or Airwick solid things to keep in the bathroom. I am sensitive to scents and don't like using them around the house, but I find they are necessary on the ship and don't mind the smell of them there. As someone else mentioned, we can't even smell it in the cabin. It's just a fresh scent in the bathroom.

Where do you buy Poo Pourri? Never heard of it.

You can get it from QVC, amazon, and I have seen it at some surprising places as well--my local bookstore carries it (reading room accessory?) as well as a local resturant that also has a gift shop. It is a funny product, and I initially bought it as a gag gift for my son, but it works. And in the small, unventilated confines of a tiny cruise ship bathroom.........well, it works really well.

I usually cruise, armed with two important Items:

-- a battery powered scented candle, which helps with the bathroom smells, and doubles nicely as a night-light; :cool:

-- travel-sized Lysol Spray(s). I always give the cabin a once-over with it, when we first arrive. After that, it really helps two people share one tiny bathroom in peace! ;)

BTW -- I absolutely agree about not flushing detergents (or any other chemical down the toilet). When you think about it, ships are fragile, floating ecosystems -- doesn't take much to throw those systems off. :eek:

Hi, I have heard of and seen the Poo Pourpi item on QVC....I think they

have sold it to over 100,000 customers.....you spritz it into the bowl

first.......there are different scents.

I have sailed Summit 6 times over the years and don't recall ever

having toilet odor issues.

While I have never smelled that on Celebrity, Norwegian and Holland America have both had that sewer smell in our bathrooms from the toilet.

I am sure it effects different areas of the ship....and can be quite disgusting.

I think what you're smelling is gray water odor coming from the floor drain. This is very typical on ships. It happens when gray water gets trapped in an elbow or scupper below the deck. Pouring a bucket of fresh water down the drain usually takes care of it.

Just when you think you've heard it all :)

I hope we can put this topic behind us, because it stinks ! No iff's and's or butts :)

Ok, I couldn't resist either !

I think what you're smelling is gray water odor coming from the floor drain. This is very typical on ships. It happens when gray water gets trapped in an elbow or scupper below the deck. Pouring a bucket of fresh water down the drain usually takes care of it.

I'd agree with this statement - we've often smelled nasty odors on several different ships, but the odor is not coming from the toilets, but from the floor drains. As Aquahound says, pour some water down the drain, or carry one of the rubber drain covers (about 4" diameter, purchase in any hardware or housewares store for a couple of dollars) and place it over the drain when it's not in use. Works great, easy to pack, no harm to ship's systems.

Do you think a strong scented soap will help? I like to purchase soaps.

Don't think Tide is easy to find in ports. Sorry about the toilet. Did you check the sink and shower for the smell? We place plastic bags over sink and shower drains and cover with wet towels at night.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

I love Poo Pourri. First time I heard of it I was cruising w a friend, knew for ages online, but met for the first time in person. She brought this for both our benefit; and I thought it was hilarious. It works! There's another brand called Trap A Crap.

Here is the Poo Pourri commerical for those who have not seen it.

Edited by whataboutport

Hi, I have heard of and seen the Poo Pourpi item on QVC....I think they

have sold it to over 100,000 customers.....you spritz it into the bowl

first.......there are different scents.

I have sailed Summit 6 times over the years and don't recall ever

having toilet odor issues.

I don't recall that either Lois.

I would love to get some of that Poo Pourpi for my DH to use at home though!! --TMI????:eek:

Poo Pourri is expensive, so I make my own.:)

I buy essential oils in whatever scent I prefer. I get it at Michael's or any craft store and use a half off coupon. I either place a drop in the toilet bowl, or fill a small spray bottle (look around your house for one not in use. I use one that was an old make-up spritzer bottle. I am talking about a 2oz bottle.) with about 1/4 oil and 3/4 water. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

As I type this I am sitting on the summit pulling into cape liberty, the cruise was great. Our sky suite comfortable, butler great, food outstanding. As long as celebrity doesn't price me out I will remain a loyal customer. However after sailing on the equinox, eclipse and presently the summit it seems that no matter what the toilets always stink. It's the huge black eye on all of my cruising experiences, I dread using the bathroom. In port I purchased a small box of powdered tide detergent to add to every flush just to sweeten the flushing experience. My wife feels the same way, do we have over sensitive noses or do others have this issue?

I have to say that I noticed that an unpleasant smell was emanating from the toilet on my recent Silhouette cruise (as well as on my Nov 2013 Crown Princess cruise--another line, I know.).

Same exact odor on both ships: Think dirty cat litter box/ammonia.

Previously had only experienced this once about 7 years ago on yet another line.

The Crown Princess was having plumbing problems, so I initially attributed the foul odor to that. Our bathroom on Silhouette was poorly cleaned compared to almost every other cruise I'd been on--so I thought that to be the reason.

Reading the OP's comments, now I wonder if something else is going on--have they begun using diluted or mild sanitation solutions perhaps due to environmental concerns or something?

Thanks all for these posts,

A little light 'relief ' is over due on this boards these days.

The adverts were very funny. I am going to show them at our next young enterprise meeting as the students are always short of ideas and perhaps school will contribute to my next cruise for research purposes of course:)

And I hate to admit it, I'll be buying some.