Question about Overbooked Cruises

Oakman58

I have to ask this question. If you purchase a guarantee balcony and the cruise line overbooks the cruise, can you be bumped off the cruise or into a lower category involuntarily? I know airlines can bump passengers from a flight so I’m wondering if cruise lines can do this too.

I ask because we still don’t have a cabin assignment for our 14 day Nov 3rd cruise. Yesterday Norwegian contacted us and offered us a $3000 credit toward a future cruise if we downgraded to an inside cabin. There is no way I can do an inside cabin on a 14 day cruise so we declined the offer. We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on this cruise. I don’t want our anniversary ruined by being bumped off the ship.

When the 9/13/14 Gem was overbooked, many with inside cabins, not GTY cabins, were offered all their money back plus $1,080 in future cruise credit, to be used within 12 months. There were 4 people on the roll call who took the offer, myself included. Not sure what else was done to get the bookings lowered to full.

I have to ask this question. If you purchase a guarantee balcony and the cruise line overbooks the cruise, can you be bumped off the cruise or into a lower category involuntarily? I know airlines can bump passengers from a flight so I’m wondering if cruise lines can do this too.

I ask because we still don’t have a cabin assignment for our 14 day Nov 3rd cruise. Yesterday Norwegian contacted us and offered us a $3000 credit toward a future cruise if we downgraded to an inside cabin. There is no way I can do an inside cabin on a 14 day cruise so we declined the offer. We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on this cruise. I don’t want our anniversary ruined by being bumped off the ship.

For such an important cruise why didn't you book and pick your cabin so its guaranteed? Personally I would take the 3K in a heartbeat

Edited by Laszlo

For such an important cruise why didn't you book and pick your cabin so its guaranteed? Personally I would take the 3K in a heartbeat

I thought I was booking a guaranteed balcony cabin. It really didn’t matter to us where the cabin was located. I’m sure this will work out for us, I just don’t want to be bumped off the ship.

I thought I was booking a guaranteed balcony cabin. It really didn’t matter to us where the cabin was located. I’m sure this will work out for us, I just don’t want to be bumped off the ship.

No offense, the only guaranteed room is an inside and even that may not be sure thing especially on holiday and summer cruises!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

We normally sail in balconies, but have booked inside cabins twice. I don't think it really negatively impacted our cruise either time. We had a great vacation, we just didn't spend as much time in our cabin.

Take the $3,000 on a future cruise and have a smile on your face for 14 days knowing that you have a free cruise coming in the near future. What a great anniversary gift, From NCL.

Edited by minn55441

Don't worry about getting bumped. There is room on the ship as evidenced by the offer of an interior cabin, & as you see by other responses, many people would take the deal you were offered.

Check your sailing on the NCL web site to see what categories of cabins are available to ease your mind.

Take the inside cabin and the 3K. Your basically getting a free cruise from NCL. Unless you spend a lot of time in your cabin and really need a balcony I would jump on that deal fast. Ask them to throw in two spa passes for the week:D

They are not going to leave anyone standing on the pier for lack of cabin assignment. They do not have a "backup" cruise like the airlines have other flights/airlines to put people on. They are in the process of "rearranging" inventory, and finding cabins for those people who are booked as guaranteed. Just stay on top of it, and be proactive.

I've seen it, they set up a few tents on deck with inflatable matterases and you get to use the public restrooms :D

Do you get any OBC? Do they still expect the full $12/day gratuities?

Will room service deliver to a tent? Do you have to shower in the pools or hot tubs?

I would take that deal every day ...

Had we been offered an oceanview rather than an inside cabin we might have gone for the deal. I didn’t want and inside because of the number of sea days (7) on this cruise plus the fact that we are doing a full transit of the Panama Canal.

To be honest, of the few cruises we’ve been on, every time I looked in and saw an inside cabin my thoughts were “no way.” I might be foolish in passing on the offer but that’s me.

To be honest, of the few cruises we’ve been on, every time I looked in and saw an inside cabin my thoughts were “no way.” I might be foolish in passing on the offer but that’s me.

There you go. At least you know you don't want an inside. I don't think anyone is suggesting you were foolish (or I missed it). Some have said they would have taken the deal. I would have, too, but we've had an inside cabin once so we could handle it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Had we been offered an oceanview rather than an inside cabin we might have gone for the deal. I didn’t want and inside because of the number of sea days (7) on this cruise plus the fact that we are doing a full transit of the Panama Canal.

Again, people are not like you - if it was me, I would 1) turn on the TV for the Forward or Aft camera for sunlight or wake up call; 2) find activities outside the room to do like sunbathing, drinking at the bar, bingo, etc 3) find a good spot on deck to view going through the Canal and enjoy. Some people use the interior room to sleep and wash up, the whole ship is their balcony.[emoji14]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Hit up NCL and see if they have an Oceanview and still get the 3K

Edited by Laszlo