HMC: Why a Cabana?

absolutonrox

So from what I've read, getting a cabana is THE thing to do on private islands. My wife and I will be taking our second cruise in August and one of the ports is HMC. My question is, why are the cabanas such a sought after commodity? What is so special about them? Are there things included that aren't part of just getting a lounge chair on the beach? On our first cruise, we stopped at Coco Cay. We just found some chairs in as shady an area as possible and still had a wonderful time (we also took a bed sheet with us to the island to put down in the sand, an WONDERFUL suggestion from, where else, here on cruise critic!). I'm just wondering if there is something I'm "missing out on" by not having a cabana. Also, is it worth it for just 2 people for the price? Many of posts I've read about cabanas have been groups/families renting them. Thanks in advance for your help!

Some reading down the board to the several threads on HMC would reveal there are many reasons a person might like a cabana. A little bit of privacy. More guaranteed shade. Snorkeling gear and floating mats. Nicer lounger. Upgrade to the Butler package (Holland America only) gets you a great Pinnacle lounge served in your cabana, with unlimited adult beverages.

"Worth it" is a personal decision only you can make. DW commands that we shall have a cabana every time we go to HMC. Happy wife, happy life. IMHO, they are definitely worth it.

Many other pluses...

Edited by CruiserBruce

A cabana is NOT a must!!!!HMC (and all the "private" islands) are simply a beach day! I don't know what the attraction is, besides spending a buttload of money! You can find shade anywhere. Folks be crazy!!!

No, you can't find shade "anywhere". There is NOT shade everywhere- that defies logic and common sense. Almost every year enough hurricane influence thins the trees, which are located near the cabanas, such that while there is some shade, it may be inconsistent, partial or in some locations, not even there. There is zero shade 50 feet in front of the cabanas.

Yes, it is a beach day. But some people can't take hours of sun (like DW and I), but enjoy the beach. A cabana works for them (which includes DW and I).

Edited by CruiserBruce

Husband and I rented a cabana on our last cruise. Best money we ever spent on a cruise. On Hmc with a cabana you not only get table and chairs, but two really comfortable lounges with thick cushions, snorkel gear, floating mats, water,soda,fruit,chips,dips,veggies,refrigerator,air conditioning,priority tender,and privacy. Best money we ever spent on a cruise. We reserved ahead and when you board go straight to the shore excursion desk and choose your location. We were in 11. It is on the far end away from crowds, and the tram will take you back and forth. We took the first tender in the morning and the last tender back. Best beach day ever!

I'm a cabana person. I get heat sick easily so the shade and fans are worth it, along with the snacks and drinks. Honestly HMC is the best deal compared to some of the other islands.

We did Labadee and I thought it was a rip off comparatively. I did have trouble finding good shade in Labadee though. Not sure on the other private islands though.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved our cabana on HMC and would get one again if we return. It was great having your own guaranteed spot in the sun and shade, loungers, floating mats, snorkeling equipment, misting fan and even an air conditioner, of course you had to stand right in front of it to get any benefit :) We got fruit, vegetables, salsa and chips and water/pop as well. We are going to Labadee next cruise but we won't get one there as they are more expensive with less amenities and the location is not always so good.

I'm a cabana person. I get heat sick easily so the shade and fans are worth it, along with the snacks and drinks. Honestly HMC is the best deal compared to some of the other islands.

We did Labadee and I thought it was a rip off comparatively. I did have trouble finding good shade in Labadee though. Not sure on the other private islands though.

We were the opposite. When in Labadee, we had an over-the-water cabana and thought it was worth every penny.

This past March we were on HMC and really were glad we didn't have the cabana. We walked a LOT on that beach; it was much nicer to walk on than Labadee and we were able to spend the bulk of our day in a shaded area down at the far end of the beach.

We also rent the cabana--worth every cent to us. We love the privacy, the comfy chairs, the fan,the snacks, etc..

Not for all people, but that's no problem-- it's a personal decision.

Be there in November!

You book the cabana but they are often limited to 6 people, we didn't pay per person, we paid per cabana. They supply a cooler with drinks and access to a private buffet. We shared it with others, splitting the cost but there were only 2 lounges so you need to be ready to share

• 2 weeks later...
Are the cabanas that secluded from everything that you're really not around other people?

There will be plenty of people on the beach in front of you and you'll meet the masses at the buffet.

I cant tell you the outcome yet, but I can tell you why we booked a HMC cabana for our upcoming cruise. We are traveling with our two year old daughter and I want easy access to shade, AC, cold beverages and a lounge chair without having to try to create my own area around other people. Plus when we paid our account off in full, we were offered a one time 20% discount on any excursion and this qualified. So the price to me wasn't too bad for a guarantee of my own float, my own chair, my own shade, my own chips and dip, etc, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
How far in advance did most of you book the cabana? I check everyday for our cruise in April and it still shows zero excursions available for HMC.

I booked in April for our November cruise.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
We've rented a cabana for our Feb. cruise (HAL). The cabana availabilities have been available for a while, at least 3 months now. They are starting to dwindle in availability, tho.

We will be there in Feb as well (the 26th). Trying to decide between cabana, or really splurging and getting a villa. With only 4 of us, a villa seems a bit much but my sister likes the idea of our own bathroom and a hot tub. Also four loungers as opposed to two like in the cabana.

Getting a cabana is always a matter of personal taste and preferences, but just looking at it financially (using Carnival's pricing)....

Cost of four snorkel-gear rentals: $40 (it might be $60. Are they $15 each?)

Cost of four floaty-mat rentals: $40

Price of the cabana: $229

Already you've gotten back one-third the cost.

Plus you get free sodas and water, chips, dip, salsa, a veggie tray, a misting fan, a freshwater shower, padded loungers, air-conditioning, a roof over your heads if a tropical rain-shower hits, etc.

In three cruises to HMC (two successful stops) I've booked a cabana each time and thought it was a great buy.

I like having a cabana so much there that for my upcoming cruise, which I booked kinda late, there were no cabanas or villas available.....so I booked the Private Oasis instead. :D

Edited by Pellaz

Getting a cabana is always a matter of personal taste and preferences, but just looking at it financially (using Carnival's pricing)....

Cost of four snorkel-gear rentals: $40 (it might be $60. Are they $15 each?)

Cost of four floaty-mat rentals: $40

Price of the cabana: $229

Already you've gotten back one-third the cost.

Plus you get free sodas and water, chips, dip, salsa, a veggie tray, a misting fan, a freshwater shower, padded loungers, air-conditioning, a roof over your heads if a tropical rain-shower hits, etc.

In three cruises to HMC (two successful stops) I've booked a cabana each time and thought it was a great buy.

I like having a cabana so much there that for my upcoming cruise, which I booked kinda late, there were no cabanas or villas available.....so I booked the Private Oasis instead. :D

We decided to pull the pin and rented a villa. We don't really have any excursions planned so this will be our big splurge; besides the cruise that is.

We decided to pull the pin and rented a villa. We don't really have any excursions planned so this will be our big splurge; besides the cruise that is.

That should be awesome. All the villas were booked already for my cruise, too. Otherwise that was my "can't get a cabana" backup plan. :)