No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

The person organizing the M&G for our November cruise on the Eurodam said he called HAL about officers attending it and was told the officers no longer attend them. Bill & Marianne, in their thread, reported that no officers attended theirs (Amsterdam, South Pacific). Are recent travelers experiencing the same thing?

Edited by bcd2010

This sounds as if that is what is happening now. Also, no more VIP parties.

Nevertheless, I think you will find on some cruises and /or with some higher officers (Captain, HD) there will be attendance.

I doubt if they would be fired or made to walk the plank if they showed up!

I organized a M&G on the Prinsendam last fall. Once on board the ship we sent invites to the Capt, CD, hotel director, events co-ordinater and they all showed up. After the M&G we sent a thank you note in appreciation. Never a problem in the past. Maybe this is something new.

Allan

There was a thread on this a while ago (I think) where an organizer reported it.

this is something new.

I noticed on my Meet and Greet confirmation there was nothing about inviting officers (I do invites as well) and when I inquired I was told that this is something that is now not being done. A directive from Seattle apparently.

I agree - you might still see some officers or Captains come, but overall, it is not an expectation one should have, rather a delightful surprise if it does.

The officers are likely having to do more with less so something has to give. Personally I don't get all the excited about meeting officers. If I go to a meet and greet it's to meet other folks on the cruise.

I agree. To me its not a big deal as they normally do not stay long anyway (but it is a nice touch I guess). We have had several Cruise Directors show up and stay for awhile - that we we did get to know them a bit and visit with them later at other events.

This sounds as if that is what is happening now. Also, no more VIP parties.

Nevertheless, I think you will find on some cruises and /or with some higher officers (Captain, HD) there will be attendance.

I doubt if they would be fired or made to walk the plank if they showed up!

It also seems Officers no longer attend Suite Welcome Aboard parties. :rolleyes:

Welcome Aboard Party? They should rename it to come get a drink and see 'ya later bye.

It's getting hard to recognize the HAL we've known for 25 or more years.

Edited by sail7seas

Again, HAL is a business and it is all about money (especially from the Main Office). When the officers get a memo telling them what to do/or not to do, they think about their paychecks. You will have some Captains having a little talk about sailing etc. but more likely on longer cruises.

HAL is definitely NOT the Cruise line it was a few years ago and I think you will see more and more changes that basically Officers will be invisible non approachable.

While Money is concerned it has nothing to do with Officers attending Meet and Greets, having VIP Parties and Attending Suite Parties.

The Complaint Box is over flowing and it Overflows at these functions which is not the time and place but since HAL does nothing to correct it's on board problems other than hand out a plate of Chocolate covered Strawberries and if you are lucky some ship board credit... HAL is not willing to spend money to fix their ships and no money is being allocated at all to the remaining S and R Class ships. If the Officers stay away from the Passengers they do not have to deal with it. Officers basically have to have a Closed Door Policy, they have no choice for their own sanity. This did NOT come down from the Main Officer but rather came from the ships and Main Office agreed.

VERY helpful post, Lisa.

If I may add to it? This change in Officer attendance and approachability is also the result of poor manners from a great many guests. I remember when Captains would have a Table and invited guests would chat with him and the other guests in polite manner about non controversial subjects. Guests did not take the 'face time' with the Captain at such an event to complain about their toilet. Today...... this me, me, me world. Because of 'my toilet' issues and the like, we have lost those very pleasant experiences.

Edited by sail7seas

... While Money is concerned it has nothing to do with Officers attending Meet and Greets, having VIP Parties and Attending Suite Parties... This did NOT come down from the Main Officer but rather came from the ships and Main Office agreed.

You must have a very good inside source for this info, as it certainly casts a different light on matters ... who would've ever thought that a bunch of malcontents could cause the Officers to not want to attend the M&Gs??? (NB: This is a rhetorical question, so no answer is requested or needed.)

VERY helpful post, Lisa.

If I may add to it? This change in Officer attendance and approachability is also the result of poor manners from a great many guests. I remember when Captains would have a Table and invited guests would chat with him and the other guests in polite manner about non controversial subjects. Guests did not take the 'face time' with the Captain at such an event to complain about their toilet. Today...... this me, me, me world. Because of 'my toilet' issues and the like, we have lost those very pleasant experiences.

Sail, this is very true and goes along with many of the current problems. It definitely goes hand in hand but if HAL spent a bit more money on maintenance and fixing their ships the complaint box would not be nearly as full and may not cause nearly as many impolite guests.

I agree that I have seen a lot of poor manners over the years but sometimes people get to the point of not wanting to be ignored so they speak out where they would not have done this 10 years ago.

You must have a very good inside source for this info, as it certainly casts a different light on matters ... who would've ever thought that a bunch of malcontents could cause the Officers to not want to attend the M&Gs??? (NB: This is a rhetorical question, so no answer is requested or needed.)

I'll speak for Lisa (and others) to your question.

Through the years, some of us have made very close friends on the ships. After my 80+ cruises with HAL, it is reasonable to expect my late DH and I became true, good friends with a number of Officers/Crew/Staff on the ships and the same applies to Lisa and others.

We have had very close friendships with some of these people though there are a number here who think we are 'fantasizing' when we say that. Let them say it. :D

You deserve an answer to your rhetorical comment. The only one(s) who have the ability to tell any of us to not respond to any post here are the Hosts and Community Manager of CC.

Sail, this is very true and goes along with many of the current problems. It definitely goes hand in hand but if HAL spent a bit more money on maintenance and fixing their ships the complaint box would not be nearly as full and may not cause nearly as many impolite guests.

I agree that I have seen a lot of poor manners over the years but sometimes people get to the point of not wanting to be ignored so they speak out where they would not have done this 10 years ago.

I am in full agreement with this whole statement.

People are tired of having plumbers come day after day for their malfunctioning toilet. They have every reasonable expectation for properly working air conditioning in the Caribbean.

You have hit very pertinent reasons for Officers disappearance from passenger decks but the result is the same.......... Our HAL experience can never be the same without them.

I'll speak for Lisa (and others) to your question.

Through the years, some of us have made very close friends on the ships. After my 80+ cruises with HAL, it is reasonable to expect my late DH and I became true, good friends with a number of Officers/Crew/Staff on the ships and the same applies to Lisa and others.

We have had very close friendships with some of these people though there are a number here who think we are 'fantasizing' when we say that. Let them say it. :D

You deserve an answer to your rhetorical comment. The only one(s) who have the ability to tell any of us to not respond to any post here are the Hosts and Community Manager of CC.

Thank you for your "response". My post was not questioning the accuracy (or intimacy) of LAFFNVEGAS' post, and I apologize if you read/misinterpreted my post to be such. My rhetorical question had to do with the reason the Officers chose not to attend the M&Gs, which unfortunately your post did not address.

Also, I did not say that you or any other CCer could not or should not respond to my post. In fact, my wish was that there would be lots of "responses", so thank you for yours.

Edited by avian777

... apparently another casualty of HAL's relentless cost-cutting which IMO is very defensible in this instance, given the very small number (as a percentage of the total) of passengers who actually attend the M&Gs ...

I guess the same could be said for many things onboard like for instance religious services. Not everyone attends those either.

VERY helpful post, Lisa.

BINGO! You hit the nail squarely on the head with this post!!! Thanks for sharing your insights on this matter.

Lisa, thank you for your insight on the reasoning behind the disappearance of officers. From the sounds of things they only have themselves to blame.

I would take this a bit farther and state that it is not the blame of the Officers, they would love nothing more than to have Happy Passengers, Happy Crew and a well running functioning ship. Many love socializing with the Passengers and truly miss those days. But circumstances have gone way out of their control and only so much they can do.

HAL is definitely NOT the Cruise line it was a few years ago and I think you will see more and more changes that basically Officers will be invisible non approachable.

While Money is concerned it has nothing to do with Officers attending Meet and Greets, having VIP Parties and Attending Suite Parties.

The Complaint Box is over flowing and it Overflows at these functions which is not the time and place but since HAL does nothing to correct it's on board problems other than hand out a plate of Chocolate covered Strawberries and if you are lucky some ship board credit... HAL is not willing to spend money to fix their ships and no money is being allocated at all to the remaining S and R Class ships. If the Officers stay away from the Passengers they do not have to deal with it. Officers basically have to have a Closed Door Policy, they have no choice for their own sanity. This did NOT come down from the Main Officer but rather came from the ships and Main Office agreed.

I totally get what you are saying Lisa, but it is a shame if that has happened. I know at our M & G's, this has not happened but sadly as you said in this and your other post, there are people that are frustrated.

There is a time and a place for everything and these functions are neither the time nor the place.

In spite of 2 weeks with no hot water, I never mentioned it when I had dinner with the Captain. Honest. It's not my fault.:D:D

Thank you for your "response". My post was not questioning the accuracy (or intimacy) of LAFFNVEGAS' post, and I apologize if you read/misinterpreted my post to be such. My rhetorical question had to do with the reason the Officers chose not to attend the M&Gs, which unfortunately your post did not address.

Also, I did not say that you or any other CCer could not or should not respond to my post. In fact, my wish was that there would be lots of "responses", so thank you for yours.

My underlines.

Lisa

Thanks for your info about this. As usual you provide invaluable insight.

I figure the last Senior Officers Meeting (Miami, a few months ago) must have been a dilly. Possibly a bit of a mutiny by Captains and HDs and they obviously "won", as far as their duties are involved.

"Happy Crew, Happy Pax" is the motto of one of our fav HDs. As a long time HD he seems to have that figured out and I suspect that will be his focus and he will hope for the best.

So many changes and more to come!