Detailled photo review: Carnival Horizon Apr 15th-18th, 2018

steamboats

I had the pleasure to be onboard the Carnival Horizon for 3 nights (first part of the regular 7 night cruise). Here´s my detailled photo review starting with part 1 - ship deck 1 to 9. The text is in German but a translation is not really needed due to the many photos. Anyway you can try out google translate. More parts are to follow over the next days.

steamboats

I'm glad people liked it, since the official reviews have been less than stellar.

One thing I'm concerned about is "healthy food" in the buffet.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat mainly fish and vegetables. When I was on the Sunshine there really weren't many healthy options (compared to NCL) in the buffet. "One vegetable" and baked potatoes was very disappointing. And the salad bar was just minimal.

How is the buffet on this ship?

I'm sailing on 6/5.

Thanks again! Part 2 is online and I hope to finish at least part 1 of the restaurants today.

April42729, unfortuantely the healthy choice on the buffet is still lacking. As a German I´m a fan of Bircher Müsli (and in fact prepare my own each day). No Müsli on the Horizon. Just the over sugared Kellogs cereals. The choice of fruit was disappointing too. No pineapples, two kinds of melons, no fruit salad. Yes, you could take a whole banana, apple... But that´s it.

They do have a "healthy" option in the main dining room for breakfast: an avocado toast and a breakfast bowl. Both was nice but not as healthy as it could have been.

I did not try out the buffet for dinner or lunch as there were too many other options available we´d prefer to try out in only 4 days / 3 nights.

But actually food in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room was way better than on other competitors.

steamboats

Steamboats, I was in Deutschland in April and fell in love with some chocolate cereal the hotel buffets had! (along with some balance like eggs, yogurt, meats/cheese, croissants, and other yummy things found at those fabulous breakfast buffets in Germany!)

I'll look for the avocado toast--that sounds good.

I'm glad people liked it, since the official reviews have been less than stellar.

Curious, what is an “official” review?

My husband and I cruised on the Horizon in the 4/22 sailing with friends of ours, and it was an amazing ship. Food was excellent, and the service was amazing. The staff is fantastic. Loved everything about the ship. Definitely the best cruise we have done so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing I'm concerned about is "healthy food" in the buffet.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat mainly fish and vegetables. When I was on the Sunshine there really weren't many healthy options (compared to NCL) in the buffet. "One vegetable" and baked potatoes was very disappointing. And the salad bar was just minimal.

How is the buffet on this ship?

I'm sailing on 6/5.

We'll be on the same sailing as you! Which official reviews did you read? I'm looking for something like that.

We've mostly sailed NCL as well, but this will be our second Carnival. There seemed to be plenty of veggies at least at the buffet on our last Carnival cruise. We don't frequent the buffets too often. Much prefer MDR for breakfast and dinner and we just wing if for other meals and try to avoid the crowds.

I'll look for the avocado toast--that sounds good.

Lori, there will be a photo later in the review. I´m still busy with the ship itself... I just posted the restaurants in two parts. Bars will be tomorrow followed by extra costs on Thursday and cabin on Friday. So the actual review is supposed to start on Saturday with Barcelona. We had the toast and the breakfast bowl at the Cagliari day (day 3 of the cruise).

steamboats

Wonderful photos! We are booked on the Horizon out of New York and are excited! Really appreciate your taking the time to post such a thorough photo review. If you have any cabin photos, that would be wonderful.

Vielen danke fur alles!

Thanks again! Part 2 is online and I hope to finish at least part 1 of the restaurants today.

April42729, unfortuantely the healthy choice on the buffet is still lacking. As a German I´m a fan of Bircher Müsli (and in fact prepare my own each day). No Müsli on the Horizon. Just the over sugared Kellogs cereals. The choice of fruit was disappointing too. No pineapples, two kinds of melons, no fruit salad. Yes, you could take a whole banana, apple... But that´s it.

They do have a "healthy" option in the main dining room for breakfast: an avocado toast and a breakfast bowl. Both was nice but not as healthy as it could have been.

I did not try out the buffet for dinner or lunch as there were too many other options available we´d prefer to try out in only 4 days / 3 nights.

But actually food in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room was way better than on other competitors.

steamboats

I know it's not quite the same, but was there no granola of any kind at breakfast? I sometimes will do granola, yogurt, and some sort of berries to 'make' a musli. I'm also wondering if the lack of certain fruits is due to the ship not being back stateside yet? I know when I took a Greek Med on Princess, we were shocked at the lack of fruit (like pineapple) that we'd become accustomed to on Caribbean cruises. When we asked, what were told boiled down to the menus change Europe/Med vs Caribbean vs Alaska. We also were shocked that we were in Greece and there was no Greek Yogurt, but that's another thing altogether.

I had the pleasure to be onboard the Carnival Horizon for 3 nights (first part of the regular 7 night cruise). Here´s my detailled photo review starting with part 1 - ship deck 1 to 9. The text is in German but a translation is not really needed due to the many photos. Anyway you can try out google translate. More parts are to follow over the next days.

steamboats

Thanks for sharing

steamboats

Beautiful photos, thanks!

I know it's not quite the same, but was there no granola of any kind at breakfast? I sometimes will do granola, yogurt, and some sort of berries to 'make' a musli. I'm also wondering if the lack of certain fruits is due to the ship not being back stateside yet? I know when I took a Greek Med on Princess, we were shocked at the lack of fruit (like pineapple) that we'd become accustomed to on Caribbean cruises. When we asked, what were told boiled down to the menus change Europe/Med vs Caribbean vs Alaska. We also were shocked that we were in Greece and there was no Greek Yogurt, but that's another thing altogether.

It´s been just the Kellogs´ boxes. I don´t remember granola but that´s too sugary for me anyway so I don´t eat it. No, worries, we do have pineapples over here in Europe too (not growing them of course) and I had pineapples a day later on the Norwegian Bliss. So they are availble. There were sliced oranges and grapefruit. I tried out the porridge instead of the missing musli.

steamboats

Is there a thalassotherapy pool in the spa? Not whirlpool like Vista. Thank you

Unfortunately, deck plans show only a whirlpool in the "thermal suites".

Be nice to get a few pictures and confirmation.

Is there a thalassotherapy pool in the spa? Not whirlpool like Vista. Thank you

It is called Whirlpool but it´s a square one. You can see photos here. I haven´t checked whether it´s salt water or not.

steamboats

Great pictures steamboat. So similar to Vista. Too bad they didn't consider everyone's complaints about the small whirlpool and fewer things in the thermal suites. And, as I spied those ugly red monitors in front of the treads, they obviously didn't stich back to C2 rowers.

Havana Bar will most likely be my home away from home when on board. With those occasional stops at the brewhouse and Alchemy.