NCL Regular becoming RCCL First Timer

Hello All,

My family ( Wife and 15yr old son) have cruised NCL almost exclusively. It looks like we are going to book the Oasis for New Years.

A few quick questions.

I wont get into food quality , etc. as that is indivudual tastes more nuts and bolts questions.

One of the main things we liked about NCL was not having to eat with other people ( we are actually fairly social but both have jobs where we speak to people frequently). We like to set our own dining schedule. From what I read we can do My Time Dining. If the 3 of us show up without reservations - at say 7:00pm - is it safe to say we would be able to get a table for ourselves? I know there would likely be some waiting involved - 30 minutes or so?

In terms for dress code in the restaurants, I gather that shorts are a no no - would khakis and golf shirts be ok or do we need long sleeve shirts? How about formal night - are jackets and ties manitory?

Do any of you have experience with the teen club? My son is 15 - fairly outgoing but obviously an only child - on NCL the teen club was fairly well run and he made friends pretty quickly the first night. I assume Royal would be fairly similar in its Teen Club with NCL?

Any specific restaurants we should hit up?

With regards to the waivers for my son to do "stuff" is it possible a one blanket waiver or do we need to sign a new one everytime he does something?

I am sure I will have a million questions as we move closer to the date.

Any other hints - must go to bars, spots on the ship?

Thanks in advance for the help?

Thanks

Jeff

Hello All,

My family ( Wife and 15yr old son) have cruised NCL almost exclusively. It looks like we are going to book the Oasis for New Years.

A few quick questions.

I wont get into food quality , etc. as that is indivudual tastes more nuts and bolts questions.

One of the main things we liked about NCL was not having to eat with other people ( we are actually fairly social but both have jobs where we speak to people frequently). We like to set our own dining schedule. From what I read we can do My Time Dining. If the 3 of us show up without reservations - at say 7:00pm - is it safe to say we would be able to get a table for ourselves? I know there would likely be some waiting involved - 30 minutes or so?

I would guess that on a New Year's Eve cruise, with many families on board, lots will opt for traditional, fixed time dining.

MTD usually works well. It is just hard to predict whether there will be glitches on your cruise. First night can be a mess, so I would suggest doing a specialty restaurant that night.

In terms for dress code in the restaurants, I gather that shorts are a no no - would khakis and golf shirts be ok or do we need long sleeve shirts? How about formal night - are jackets and ties mandatory?

Some people still dress up for formal night, but the "suggestions" are not "requirements". I think that on NYE itself you will see many people decked out in their finest. :)

Do any of you have experience with the teen club? My son is 15 - fairly outgoing but obviously an only child - on NCL the teen club was fairly well run and he made friends pretty quickly the first night. I assume Royal would be fairly similar in its Teen Club with NCL?

Any specific restaurants we should hit up?

150 Central Park for dinner; Park Café for breakfast and lunch; Johnny Rockets for breakfast. Vintages for "snacks".

With regards to the waivers for my son to do "stuff" is it possible a one blanket waiver or do we need to sign a new one everytime he does something?

One time for all activities

We have done 6 NCL cruises, 10 on Celebrity and 1 on Royal C. Royal has my time dining which is similar to what NCL has (Celebrity also has same with select dining).

Royal has excellent entertainment, perhaps even better than NCL.

Dining is best on Celebrity, but Royal and NCL aren't bad at all.

One thing I really like about Royal is their wonderful happy hour, which is even better than Celebrity. It beats NCL's Platinum benefits hands down.

I personally think that NCL and Royal are basic twins these days. Dress code is the same on both cruise lines even though there are some guidelines, they are not adhered to with either company.

One thing I really like about Royal is their wonderful happy hour, which is even better than Celebrity. It beats NCL's Platinum benefits hands down.

As a first time Royal cruiser it is unlikely that they would be able to obtain this benefit UNLESS they have booked a suite as they won't be anywhere NEAR Diamond status for many, many more years of cruising on Royal, right?

Go read the member reviews of the Oasis on this site.

You should find just about all the information you need.

It takes a little work on your part but better than asking everyone to "tell you everything"..

Oasis has a nice variety of food options however Royal is lacking in the late night category. NCL has better late night dining options with O’Sheehans.

The entertainment on Oasis is excellent - reserve your shows.

Edited by Tee & Chilli

Teen club is great. I have two teenage boys who have loved it. My oldest is 19 and we will be taking our 1st cruise where he is ineligible for it and is a bit nervous.

Giovanni's is probably the best "family" specialty restaurant but nothing beats 150CP. We are big fans of the Solarium for Breakfast. Less crowded and on the healthy side.

Love the Pub for singer songwriter type music and chill atmosphere.

Dress code is loosely enforced.

Flowrider is the best!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

NO cruise line nowadays requires you to eat with others....I think that's a shame. We really enjoy tablemates. It's max 2 hours with others....and it enhances your evening...and gives you and your partner something to talk about later! But whatever...if you want to be alone, they will make that happen.

I personally think that NCL and Royal are basic twins these days. Dress code is the same on both cruise lines even though there are some guidelines, they are not adhered to with either company.

As a first time Royal cruiser it is unlikely that they would be able to obtain this benefit UNLESS they have booked a suite as they won't be anywhere NEAR Diamond status for many, many more years of cruising on Royal, right?

Of course, but thinking long term, with enough cruises you make diamond.

You have a lot of great answers already but will add my kids cruised through their teens and very much enjoyed the teen club, my son much more than my daughter. The only suggestion here is to make sure your son goes on the first night, often the friendships are made that night and it's not as easy later in the cruise.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I found NCL to be very similar to RCI.

My inlaws were loyal to NCL, until they went on Epic, hated it, then went on Allure :) They are now loyal to Royal :)

The Zipline is a great experience. When I tried it on Allure, I learned that I am TERRIFIED of heights :)

If you like Oasis, and want to try a newer big ship... You definitely have to visit Wonderland! Love that restaurant!

I'm in a similar situation as the OP and I've gotten a lot good info on the RCI board already, but since we're asking about comparisons to NCL, I do have a question regarding the specialty dining- we've had some sort of promo specialty dining on every NCL cruise as a perk (either the old, unlimited UDP or the 3 night SDP) and I'm trying to figure out how the specialty dining works on Oasis.

Are they all a set cover charge, or are there ala carte options as well? I saw in the cruise planner that I can buy a set number of specialty dining nights, or I can by a single night at say Chop's or 150CP. Is it cheaper to pre-purchase vs buying on board? One last question....FNDR? Looks like the only 2 options are Giovanni's or Sabor, but I also read a recent review that said they were able to go 150 CP for their FDNR. Which answer is correct? Thanks for the help!

I'm in a similar situation as the OP and I've gotten a lot good info on the RCI board already, but since we're asking about comparisons to NCL, I do have a question regarding the specialty dining- we've had some sort of promo specialty dining on every NCL cruise as a perk (either the old, unlimited UDP or the 3 night SDP) and I'm trying to figure out how the specialty dining works on Oasis.

Are they all a set cover charge, or are there ala carte options as well? I saw in the cruise planner that I can buy a set number of specialty dining nights, or I can by a single night at say Chop's or 150CP. Is it cheaper to pre-purchase vs buying on board? One last question....FNDR? Looks like the only 2 options are Giovanni's or Sabor, but I also read a recent review that said they were able to go 150 CP for their FDNR. Which answer is correct? Thanks for the help!

All restaurants are fixed cover charge except Izumi. Izumi hibachi is fixed but sushi and other items are a la carte.