Hump or AFT ?

seadude

Hi Im preparing a surprise for my DW I usually book an inside guaranteed cabin and we always finish with the worst or one of the worst cabins of the whole cruise. she never complains she said that we are getting the same food and service than a suite guest for quarter of the price. So I am preparing something special for her. I told her last week that I had booked a cruise on Costa (I liked but she HEATED, she didn’t liked the food) she was without expresion like “another crap cruise... well whatever”. But I booked the Independence and got D1 9342 that is a hump cabin but there is an AFT a viable and this time I want to do it right. I want to give her something nice. So please gurus tell me what to do.

Independence is a huge ship and I would keep the hump. It is a fantastic location and a quick walk to most popular areas on the ship. I don't know when you are planning to tell her but if she thinks she is going on "a crap cruise" she may not prepare (shop) like she would for something special. You will get in BIG trouble if she is not prepared.:eek: So piece of advice is to give her enough time to properly prepare.:D have a great time!!!

I agree with Sue L...keep the hump cabin. We tried a hump cabin on Mariner last May & we loved it! So close to everything & we still did a lot of walking:rolleyes: The year before, we tried our first aft cabin. Never again for us! As luck would have it, we got caught in a storm. Instead of side to side movement experienced in a port or starboard cabin, we had head to toe motion...with slamming drawers & doors all night long!:eek: Chances are, you will not have our experience on your surprise cruise, but you just never know. Also...it was hot back there on the balcony. Due to the slant design of the upper decks above us, we had very little shade or breezes.

We liked our hump cabin so much that we booked the same cabin for our do-over MR cruise next Spring. This is a personal preference choice as many cruisers love the larger aft balconies. Have fun on your Cruise!!

I think for the first time EVER I'll disagree with SueL :eek:

I like the AFT on Indy over the humps. You can't beat the size of the balcony. And after all of the food we ate, I NEEDED the long walk back to the cabin. :D

Oh wait, what I should say is NO, YOU'LL HATE THE AFT! GO HUMP! (cause then it will keep them open for me when I want to book them :p)

I would have to say go with the AFT cabin. It is very true that there is a walk to get to the cabin but for me it is worth the walk. The balconies are 2-3 times larger and have 2 loungers. If I ever get the opportunity I will always choose and AFT over a Hump cabin but that is just my opinion...

I vote for aft. We had an aft cabin on Explorer and now are booked for one on the FOS. Wonderful cabin and balcony. The walk is really not bad- and hey, it's a way to work off calories!!! What a dear you are to surprise her. Have a wonderful time!!!

Hi Im preparing a surprise for my DW I usually book an inside guaranteed cabin and we always finish with the worst or one of the worst cabins of the whole cruise. she never complains she said that we are getting the same food and service than a suite guest for quarter of the price. So I am preparing something special for her. I told her last week that I had booked a cruise on Costa (I liked but she HEATED, she didn’t liked the food) she was without expresion like “another crap cruise... well whatever”. But I booked the Independence and got D1 9342 that is a hump cabin but there is an AFT a viable and this time I want to do it right. I want to give her something nice. So please gurus tell me what to do.

Once you start with a balony you won't get her back to inside. I like the AFT but the long walk and motion might not overcome the larger balcony.

PS I'm booked on a hump for the first time after many AFT balconies.

Thank you guys about all the grate answers, I know that it is going to be a tuff decision that im going to make today but you are giving me a grate feedback. But still confused, dont know what to do. The AFT is bigger balcony but moves a lot, not sea breeze and I need to walk a lot (that is not bad at all if I have a more private and quiet cabin) also I love the wake, I can spend hours looking at it . The hump is in the middle of the action, Im not going to need to walk a lot but what about the privacy?

Also Sue L, Im not going to tell her anything, we are going to Port Everglades and then is when she is going to know what is going on. I want to see her face. I think is better like that. If she dont pack im going to feel very sorry for her.

No issue with privacy they face a wall which separates the elevator area from the hallway.

You won't have noise from the elevators themselves BUT, everyone that gets off the elevator has to walk past your cabin to get to theirs. The aft cabins, obviously, are at the end of the hallway. The only people walking past yours will be the people in the next one or two cabins.

Here's an example on Indy. Let's say you book hump cabin 8340. If people get off the elevator and take the shortest route to their cabin, there are 77 cabins past yours. If you have aft cabin 8410, there are two cabins past yours.

We have never really been bothered too much by people walking by in the halls but we had an aft on our last cruise and it was noticeably quieter. You've had cabins with traffic going by, has it ever bothered you or your wife? If not, a hump will be fine. If in the past you've said 'boy, those people are noisy', maybe the aft would be the bigger treat for her.

I'm not trying to sell you either way, just trying to give you some things to think about.

I strongly vote for the aft cabin. You look like you can handle the walk to the elevators and it really isn't that far.

To me there is nothing better than watching the wake, enjoying the larger balcony and the cabin is just a tad larger.

No matter which you choose I don't think you will be disappointed but to me an aft cabin is "something special".

Take care,

Mike

I will also add a qualified vote for an aft, although a hump is also great

The qualification is about the distance to it. Yes, it's a walk. That's fine. However, if you or your spouse are forgetful, take it into serious consideration. Especially as you are talking Freedom Class.

On my last aft (on Enchantment), it was the last night. We had met with friends in the concierge lounge. Drinks poured, laughs laughed. Barely time to get to the MDR in time. This was when I realized that we had left the tip envelopes back in the cabin.

I raaann. There and back. Boy was I tuckered.

Something else to consider: you mention an aft cabin is available, but not WHICH aft cabin. The aft cabins have structure that blocks the view. Some people (me) wouldn't like that. If corner aft cabins 8710, 8410, 9704, 9404,1700, or 1400 are available, they don't have the big structure between you and the water. I found some pictures posted by cruisinmama06 that show the structure. Some people don't mind it.

Here are my pics from Indy, Aft JS, 1402

130.jpg

081.jpg

084.jpg

089.jpg

090.jpg

The hump. NO vibrations as you will have in the aft. If that does not bother you then take which you want. As you can tell everyone has their own opinion. I love to walk and never take the elevators. We did LOS and the walk to and from the cabin to the opposite side of the ship was a long walk. The hump is a great cabin and great location. Midship is always the preferred spot.:rolleyes:

Here are some pitures of our AFT cabin on the Mariner OTS. To be honest my DW nore myself felt any movement in this cabin even in stormes up the Baha on the last 2 days of our crusie in March. We loved this cabin and location and wood book it again in a heart beat...

2637_621264254498_20710674_38538318_4904313_n.jpg

2637_621264259488_20710674_38538319_4874103_n.jpg

2637_621264264478_20710674_38538320_6896117_n.jpg

I would go the Hump Cabin also. Even on a Radiance Class, an Aft cabin will give you a 400 + ft walk to center. Great way to lose weight though.:). The aft Cabin while the balcony is large, and this is only my opinion, I prefer to see where we are going vs where we have been.

Pringle if you look at the side of the ship where it projects out, on the Voyager Class & up, you have cabins at that point and get a full view of the length of the ship. Radiance Class only has the Hump cabins on tthe Starboard side. and the outside elevator is on the Port side offering you an awesome view of the ocean, through the glass.

Thanks Desert Cruizer...now I know.

I've booked a cruise on the Independance and originally booked an aft cabin but after seeing several picture of the horrible structure blocking the view I changed and I now have a "hump" cabin or the sticky out bit as I prefer!

Pringle

If you can get a corner aft other than deck 6, I would do the aft. Here is a pic of the Freedom (same as the Independence) deck 7 corner aft.

2868741980104579871S600x600Q85.jpg

WOW this one is nice, is so big that looks like a suite. Im going to check for it to see if is aviable. TX for the pic

Here are some pitures of our AFT cabin on the Mariner OTS. To be honest my DW nore myself felt any movement in this cabin even in stormes up the Baha on the last 2 days of our crusie in March. We loved this cabin and location and wood book it again in a heart beat...

2637_621264254498_20710674_38538318_4904313_n.jpg

2637_621264259488_20710674_38538319_4874103_n.jpg

2637_621264264478_20710674_38538320_6896117_n.jpg

Thanks for share all this pics the first one is just breathtaking... Im just thinking about the sunrises that you have had there on the morning and im just dreaming

Archived