Latest Splendor Collision-with photos!

Wanna_Cruize

Anytime an incident happens, it is a marketing problem for the company, but when three incidents happen in a short time frame, it is a PR Disaster!

Just my two cents!

Same goes for the airline industry, but that doesn't keep people from flying. The airline industry has been limping along since 911 and out of that came all kinds of rules/laws/regulations against who?....the consumer! But people still fly despite all the rules. The same still goes for people who want to cruise, despite bad PR (which I doubt these incidents made the news), people will still get on the big boat and go......me included. :D

Swhich I doubt these incidents made the news. :D

Ah but they hit the internet. Here and on utube at the very least. And these days, the internet has more power than the "news". If you are having a problem with a company like the cruise lines or a resort- explain to them that you are quite computer savvy and they sit up and take serious notice. News comes and goes, the internet is forever.

Ah but they hit the internet. Here and on utube at the very least. And these days, the internet has more power than the "news". If you are having a problem with a company like the cruise lines or a resort- explain to them that you are quite computer savvy and they sit up and take serious notice. News comes and goes, the internet is forever.

How many people come here everyday and read? Certainly not the majority of the population who uses the internet. Did this mishap and others arrive on Drudge or any of the other internet "news" networks? It wasn't on national TV nor was it on any radio station. If you google this particular incident, it would probably direct you back to cruisecritic. But why would any ordinary person even have knowledge or the inkling to do that? IMHO, unless it was something major, people aren't interested.

How many people come here everyday and read? Certainly not the majority of the population who uses the internet. Did this mishap and others arrive on Drudge or any of the other internet "news" networks? It wasn't on national TV nor was it on any radio station. If you google this particular incident, it would probably direct you back to cruisecritic. But why would any ordinary person even have knowledge or the inkling to do that? IMHO, unless it was something major, people aren't interested.

You may think whatever but I know for a fact that the internet is considered a very potent source of information and companies are concerned about what is out here. Many people may not be on the internet searching for their ship (although a lot are) but if they are not their kids or parents or neighbors or co-workers are.

I'm sure you were all over the Royal Caribbean captain who crashed the Grandeur of the Seas into the dock at Costa Maya a few years back too, right? ;)

They haven't had three major collisions in 3 months either...there is something horribly wrong over at Carnival...safety just isn't an issue for them.

They haven't had three major collisions in 3 months either...there is something horribly wrong over at Carnival...safety just isn't an issue for them.

Why don't you start a blog that we can all subscribe to, dealing with safety issues and other potentially vacation destroying issues that Carnival is foisting on the sailing public. We, on CC already know what your agenda is, but the rest of the internet may not be privy to that yet. BTW, were you aware that yesterday was the 11th anniversary of Monarch of the Seas near sinking? To my knowledge, Carnival hasn't had a near sinking yet. Just in case your keeping score, which I'm sure that you are.

To my knowledge, Carnival hasn't had a near sinking yet. Just in case your keeping score, which I'm sure that you are.

That is not true... read Devils on the Deep Blue Sea... the origins of Carnival Cruise Lines was not an easy one or one without many mishaps. It is amazing what they have become today.

While I am concerned about the number of incidents that recently happened (I was in the front row on the radiance when that one happened), I do not think that Carnival is not concerned about passenger safety. That is a ridiculous statement Savoia.

That is not true... read Devils on the Deep Blue Sea... the origins of Carnival Cruise Lines was not an easy one or one without many mishaps. It is amazing what they have become today.

While I am concerned about the number of incidents that recently happened (I was in the front row on the radiance when that one happened), I do not think that Carnival is not concerned about passenger safety. That is a ridiculous statement Savoia.

The vast majority of the statements made by Savoia are ridiculous.

I have read it, albeit along time ago. I know that Carnival's inaugural voyage ran aground leaving the port of Miami, but was in no danger of sinking. Other than that, I don't recall any near sinkings. Feel free to refresh my memory if I'm wrong here. :)

Color me unconvinced. Carnival has had the misfortune to be struck by 3 freak occurrences within a few weeks. It happens. Anyone with the most basic grasp of probability and statistics would understand that.

BTW, were you aware that yesterday was the 11th anniversary of Monarch of the Seas near sinking? To my knowledge, Carnival hasn't had a near sinking yet. Just in case your keeping score, which I'm sure that you are.

How did this become a Carnival v. RCI thing? There are a lot of cruise lines that had major incidents. Remember the fire on Star Princess? That was one of the worst incidents I've seen on a major cruise line in recent years.

How about the Ecstasy fire? Although the ship was not in danger of sinking, that fire was pretty major.

How about HAL's Prinsendam back in 1980? That one totally sank.

How did this become a Carnival v. RCI thing? There are a lot of cruise lines that had major incidents. Remember the fire on Star Princess? That was one of the worst incidents I've seen on a major cruise line in recent years.

How about the Ecstasy fire? Although the ship was not in danger of sinking, that fire was pretty major.

How about HAL's Prinsendam back in 1980? That one totally sank.

To me, it's not Carnival vs. RCI. I was just responding to another poster who comes over to the Carnival boards with a personal agenda. I realize that every line has and will have major and minor incidents that leave people aghast. Although, two of the last three incidents with Carnival have actually been Carnival vs. RCI collisions. With a few notable exceptions, I think that the industry as a whole has a pretty commendable track record of safety, considering the number of total sailings and pax carried.

Although, two of the last three incidents with Carnival have actually been Carnival vs. RCI collisions. With a few notable exceptions, I think that the industry as a whole has a pretty commendable track record of safety, considering the number of total sailings and pax carried.

Yea, that's right...the last two ship/ship collisions have been Carnival on RCI. Odd coincidence.

I agree that, all things considered, the cruise industry is extremely safe. Of course, SOLAS and the USCG help maintain that level of safety. Even the two latest collisions have been relatively minor and there were no injuries.

Well as we are no longer discussing the actually topic at hand but rather how CCL and RCI stack up against each other, yet again, I may as well add.

Smoking should be banned, is topless sunbathing allowed and can I fly a kite/fish from my balcony ?

Now back on topic, I am really looking forward to seeing the pictures and how they patched the ship.

Also, will the ship on a stick be a little bent now ?

We were on the Mariner of the Seas which was in port along side of the Carnival Splendor in PV on Thursday. I was able to get a picture of the hole in the Splendor while walking back to our ship. I only took one picture and it isn't the best but here it is. This picture was taken about 3 hours before the Splendor left for Cabo. We didn't see any activity so I am assuming the ship was already repaired.

Splendor_BooBoo.jpg.07f532d7b3bc2a1bb110d467624bda32.jpg

Smoking should be banned, is topless sunbathing allowed and can I fly a kite/fish from my balcony ?

Well, actually you can fly a kite and fish from your balcony.. Port Everglades even has a bait shop that sells flying crickets on a hang-glider.(To catch sailfish of course) ~~!!~~

Topless sunbathing is also allowed on your balcony....87.gif

Well, we finally made it home. Sorry for the sporadic updates, but I didn't want to buy another $50 internet plan and be tempted to check my work email also. During the debarkation talk the Captain came out and personally apologized for the incident, and missing the port stop in Mazatlan. (I'm trying to faithfully remember all that he said, but he has an extremely heavy Italian accent, so some of it was jumbled to me.) He took full responsibility for the accident, and said it was basically just a misjudgement in backing up to get closer to the pier, and they were so engrossed in watching the front, they didn't realize until too late that they had built up too much speed to stop short of the tender jetty. Apparently the collision did cause a hole in a ballast tank, and they ended up having to repair it from the inside, by attaching a 'box' to the outside to keep the water from coming in, and then welding the patch in place.

As a final note, he explained why he was limping when he went up to give his little talk: When he went down into the area to inspect the repairs, he fell and cut a gash in his right leg, requiring a couple of stitches, he banged up his left knee, got a slight concussion, and wrenched his shoulder, so he was a little stiff... (I'll say)

Talk about having a tough day! All in all, though, I didn't hear too many people vocally complaining about missing Mazatlan and staying in Puerto Vallarta. Everyone seemed to pretty much take it in stride and still had a good time.

As a final note, he explained why he was limping when he went up to give his little talk: When he went down into the area to inspect the repairs, he fell and cut a gash in his right leg, requiring a couple of stitches, he banged up his left knee, got a slight concussion, and wrenched his shoulder, so he was a little stiff... (I'll say)

One Captain has a heart attack after a collision, and then a couple weeks later, another Captain almost kills himself in the ballast tank after another collision.....in the same port??????!!!!!!

Holy Crap! :eek:

Is this ship cursed?

Archived