Latest Splendor Collision-with photos!

Wanna_Cruize

Wasnt that a trip we were watching from the Balcony and my Gf kept on saying they were going to hit us and of course me bein the confident Navy guy no they wont they can do this with their eyes closed and low and behold we got hit and we didnt even feel anything

The Captain was pretty cocky on his approach speed

You would think after that they would slow it down a little when they get in to port

maybe he was just trying to avoid another one of those "splendor shows up late to port" threads.......

Do you think they'll be running any booking specials for the Splendor with all these mishaps that are happening and the thought that the Splendor maybe cursed?;):p:D

All people booking the Splendor now with the ES rate will receive complimentary commemerative funnel shaped crash helmets upon embarkation.

Merely a flesh wound!

I agree but it would have been rather shocking if you had been nearby watching this massive ship head directly into your deck! It would certainly be a good story to bring home, at the very least.
I believe that is the damage from last month's accident with Radiance and not the damage from the accident that crushed the tender pier earlier this week. It's too high up to be from that pier.

Do you think they'll be running any booking specials for the Splendor with all these mishaps that are happening and the thought that the Splendor maybe cursed?;):p:D

Nope, the incidents didn't make national news and how many people thinking about going on a cruise frequent these boards? It still won't deter people from cruising. You're more apt to get killed in a car accident than being killed on a cruise ship. It sucks to be the captain in charge though....

OK, I'll admit I'm a little paranoid about sailing, flying, driving/riding, but this is getting out of hand. I was on Deck 3 of the Legend when it "brushed against" the Enchantment of the Seas and I felt that Carnival really down played the incident. Then I read about the Splendor bumping the Radiance on CC and never did find any public statements from Carnival on that incident. Now this!!! Does this concern anyone else? Although Splendor and Legend aren't the same class of ship, it makes me wonder if these incidents could be the result of a faulty mechanical design.

Just thinking out loud and I already admitted I'm paranoid, so don't flame me. I would be appreciative of any scientific data that would shoot down my theory because it would at least make me feel better about the ships themselves. However, at that point I would be convinced that the "driving" course for the Carnival captains was inadequate. :D

Oh and for anyone who is curious, I'm on the Carnival boards because I really want to book another Carnival cruise one day, but I'm hesitant to do so as long as the track record looks like this.

The reason that we did not hear anything about the last incident with the Splendor is because it was caused by a tugboat and there was no actual damage except an area that was pushed in.

This is how I look at things like flying, sailing etc. Look at how many flights, cruises etc leave and return everyday and nothing happens. It is only when it occurs a few time within a few months that people start to think about it. The Splendor has been sailing for over a year and a half now without many mishaps, so consider it this way, the Carnival Splendor has been sailing since July 2, 2008, so she has done 74 cruises, carried approximately 234,468 passengers safely, I would say that she has a pretty good track record.

I am going to be sailing on her Jan. 10, 2010 and I am not afraid at all.

The reason that we did not hear anything about the last incident with the Splendor is because it was caused by a tugboat and there was no actual damage except an area that was pushed in.

A tugboat:confused: Is that what people are calling RCCL ships now:confused::p:D

Nope, the incidents didn't make national news and how many people thinking about going on a cruise frequent these boards? It still won't deter people from cruising. You're more apt to get killed in a car accident than being killed on a cruise ship. It sucks to be the captain in charge though....

When I wrote this, it was meant to be a joke.:) I know that this stuff doesn't make the national news and most people sailing on the Splendor don't read CC to know of all the mishaps that have been happening on the Splendor. Good thing for Carnival!

My first sailing on the Splendor didn't go well. We were on the "Swine Flu" cruise and we didn't stop in any of our schedule ports of call. :( I am hoping that my cruise in March goes better!

A tugboat:confused: Is that what people are calling RCCL ships now:confused::p:D

*rimshot*

Seriously though, let's be honest. The reason these haven't made national news is because no one's died as a result of these accidents. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I honestly don't know. As for CCL's track record, when you compare how many cruises depart a month versus the amount of accidents and people going over the rail, you're still safer than on your drive to work.

The Splendor has been sailing for over a year and a half now without many mishaps, so consider it this way, the Carnival Splendor has been sailing since July 2, 2008, so she has done 74 cruises, carried approximately 234,468 passengers safely, I would say that she has a pretty good track record.

I am going to be sailing on her Jan. 10, 2010 and I am not afraid at all.

There's nothing to be afraid of. However, cruise ships hitting other cruise ships is unacceptable, regardless of how long they have been in service.

Don't laugh at my stupid question....lol.....but.....

Couldn't something like this put a hole in the ship that would cause it to fill up with water? How much trouble do you think the captain is going to be in?......ok, you can laugh now....I'm sure that I asked a stupid question....lol...

Don't laugh at my stupid question....lol.....but.....

Couldn't something like this put a hole in the ship that would cause it to fill up with water? How much trouble do you think the captain is going to be in?......ok, you can laugh now....I'm sure that I asked a stupid question....lol...

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/cruise-ship2.htm

:D

What's going on!!!! Then the Splendor Captain has a heart attack! Is she cursed ??? Glad my Nov 1st cruise went off without a hitch, lol:cool:

Here are a few photos we took on our cruise last month when the Splendor hit our ship (Radiance of the Seas)

4153334932_852e2d05fe_b.jpg

:confused: Seriously? :D

Obviously it's a good thing no one's been killed. (Duh. Poor wording on my part.) However, the point I was trying to make was should more attention be paid to these sorts of situations or is it going to take someone getting killed to make people more aware of this issue.

Archived