Latest Splendor Collision-with photos!

Wanna_Cruize

"cheese & crackers , what was that":eek:

well, its a shame that all these minor mishaps keep happening , i hope by april were not on a ship with a different colored fender and primer spots on it:D

stuff happens , wont stop us fom havin' a blast:cool:

dave

Here's the chronology of the events:

Yesterday this note was left in our cabin:

<<QUOTE>>

December 16, 2009

Dear Guests,

I want to take this opportunity to let you know of an incident that occurred earlier this morning.

During a docking maneuver at approximately 7:40am today, the Aft of the ship bumped into a small tender jetty while reversing into the basin of Puerto Vallarta. There were no injuries to report but there was some damage to the ship’s stern. The U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities have been notified. Repairs are underway and we will be sailing from Puerto Vallarta as scheduled.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We hope you enjoyed your time ashore in beautiful Puerto Vallarta.

Sincerely,

Captain Giorgio Pagano

<<UNQUOTE>>

During our late seating, at approximately 9pm the Cruise Director, Goose, made an announcement basically talking about the incident again, and informing everyone that repairs were taking longer than anticipated, and consequently the gangway would remain in place two extra hours, until midnight, with our departure now scheduled for 12:30 am.

My DH couldn’t sleep and got up at approximately 3:30 and wandered around the ship. We were still docked in Puerto Vallarta, and there was no one around. He said it’s pretty eerie walking around the ship that late at night.

Sometime after that, this note was slipped under our door:

<<QUOTE>>

December 17, 2009

Dear Guests,

I hope you are enjoying your cruise on the Carnival Splendor.

I want to update you on the repairs we have been making to the stern section of the ship. Although we were scheduled to sail yesterday evening, the repairs are taking longer than anticipated. Consequently we will stay in Puerto Vallarta until 3:30 pm today and proceed directly to Cabo San Lucas where we will arrive tomorrow, as scheduled.

We apologize for having to cancel our call on Mazatlan and will post a $20 per person credit on your Sail & Sign account reflecting a refund of the government fees and taxes.

Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful port and we hope you will enjoy the extra time ashore. Please be advised that all Mazatlan shore excursions you may have purchased, will be automatically refunded.

Please be back on board no later than 3:00 pm.

Thank you for your understanding. My officers, staff and crew are dedicated to ensuring that you have a fun and memorable vacation.

Sincerely

Captain Giorgio Pagano

<<UNQUOTE>>

My DH got photos of the damage to the tender jetty, which looks pretty extensive. I’ve uploaded some more photos to the PicassaWeb account of the damage to the pier. We got off the ship and tried to get a photo of the damage to the stern, however with the way the Puerto Vallarta docking situation is, they will not allow you to just walk along the side of the ship all the way to the end, it is gated off. We walked all around the outside of the pier area, almost to the Walmart, and was unable to see anything that looked damaged. Perhaps tomorrow in Cabo we will get a closer look with one of the tenders, or maybe someone on a shore excursion might have gotten something. We also discussed the possibility that all the damage they were repairing was underwater, or it was damage to one of the thrusters, or something like that.

No yelling or screaming from the passengers that I’ve seen yet, people seem to be taking it pretty much in stride, so far.

Wow, that is quite some damage. It would've be nice to see what the ship looked like.

Does anyone have the link to the YouTube video on the collision between the Spendor and the Royal Caribbean ship?

The collision was between the Legend and Enchantment of the seas. You can just go to youtube and type in "legend collision" in the search bar and several videos will pop up. Just click on the first couple of them and they will be what you are looking for...

The collision was between the Legend and Enchantment of the seas. You can just go to youtube and type in "legend collision" in the search bar and several videos will pop up. Just click on the first couple of them and they will be what you are looking for...

Actually the Splenor hit the Radiance also:D

Live aboard the Splendor, which has had yet another collision in Mexico - this time with a pier jetty - We're sitting here for a second day in Puerto Vallarta, because the repairs are 'taking a little longer than anticipated'. We decided to see what Splendor had hit - see links below, since the photos are too large:

http://picasaweb.google.com/WannaCruize/20091217#5416240010219435010

We're off to see if we can get photos of the damage to Splendor, since a picture is worth a thousand words.

100_3483.JPG

No need to apologize. I am not married to Carnival or the ship. I just find it a bit childish the way you run between boards "gossiping" about one particular ship. A ship you probably have never been on and obviously don't have plans to sail.

But, the fact that you admit your obsession... and state "she keeps having accidents LOL"... seems kind of weird to me. I guess I don't find these (or any other) mishaps all that amusing. Also, to run to the other boards as soon as they happen. What grade are you in? ;)

To each his / her own. Happy cruzin!

Im curious when has someones maturity level or age been a pre-req for posting on CC

If that was the case there would be a significant less amount of posters IMHO

No need to apologize. I am not married to Carnival or the ship. I just find it a bit childish the way you run between boards "gossiping" about one particular ship. A ship you probably have never been on and obviously don't have plans to sail.

Sorta like when people on the Carnival board post about the Oasis:D:p

Archived