The Elegant and Stately Statendam - by a Previous Princess and Celebrity Only Cruiser

JWJs

The 12/21/09 Statendam out of Fort Lauderdale was our first Holland America cruise. We previously had cruised 7 times on Princess and 2 times on Celebrity. We chose the 12/21/09 Statendam based on price and itinerary. I found the cruise on the Holland America Website and booked it through our travel agent. We flew into Fort Lauderdale 1 day early. Our pre-cruise hotel stay was at the Hilton, located right off the north side of the Seventeenth Street Bridge. (Wonderful hotel stay and great rate—booked right off the Hilton website.)

In the months and days leading up to our cruise, I continually searched for and read every Statendam cruise review and every bit of general thread information available on CC and other web sites. Although I do this for every cruise we take, I was extremely curious about the condition of the Statendam (christened in 1993) and what our first HAL cruise would deliver.

I also checked out every picture of the Statendam I could find on different web sites including my favorite, Webshots. Never did see a picture of our cabin which is always nice to see pre-cruise but did see many of the aft deck pool and knew that area would be wonderful and it was exactly that…WONDERFUL.

The information I found pre-cruise for Statendam was limited and what little I did find was sketchy. Plus, there were zero “it was a wonderful cruise and I loved the ship” reviews/comments or anything even close.

Instead, I found recent reports of major plumbing leaks-flooded cabins, cabin temperatures too hot, shabby rooms, engine failure problems and late port arrivals! YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, I did find SOME promising/encouraging reports that said the ship was fine and at least one who reported that the Statendam was their favorite ship.

Based on the many disparaging reports, I was more than a bit concerned about what I had gotten us into since I cancelled a 10 day 12/20/09 Ruby Princess (new ship with glowing reviews) cruise to book the 18 day 12/21/09 Statendam (old ship—bad reviews/comments) cruise.

So…here is my take on our 12/21 Statendam cruise.

We arrived at the ship terminal right at 11:00. The porters immediately took our bags and put them in a baggage collection carrier. We spent 20 minutes or so roaming around the outside of the terminal area taking numerous pictures of the ship through the chain link fence and enjoying the hustle and bustle of embarkation day.

Then, we decided it was time to go into the terminal and go through the boarding process. For Princess, you have to show your Express Boarding papers as you enter the terminal. All HAL representatives wanted to see was our Passports and they asked us to each fill out a health questionnaire and take it to the main check-in desk. EASY. At the main check-in desk, our passports were run through the reader and our photos were taken. Once again, EASY. Then we were each given a ship cards and a plastic boarding number and told to head to the boarding area. Within a few short minutes, our boarding number was called and we were walking up the gangway to board the Statendam. EXCITED...as always.

First impressions are lasting impressions. We were extremely pleased to find the inside of the ship to be one of understated elegance. With our carry-ons in tow, we headed up to the Lido buffet for lunch--all the other passengers were there or close by with their bags in tow. We found the Lido to be very small compared to Princess and Celebrity buffets but found the food to be MUCH, MUCH better. I had a Rubin sandwich cooked fresh on the Panini grill that was WONDERFUL, even without sauerkraut.

After we ate, with our carry-ons still in tow (not used to this….on Princess and Celebrity we always drop our carry-ons off in our cabin first thing after boarding), we walked around the pool area and upper decks. No disappointment…the ship continued to be understated elegant.

We were then becoming a bit impatient to get to our cabin and see a HAL cabin for the first time…but we were told the cabins were not ready yet so we went back to the Lido buffet to spend the remainder of our wait for cabin time.

FINALLY…the “rooms are ready” announcement was made and we headed to 0049…our veranda suite on the Navigation Deck.

Opening the door…we found a lovely well cared for cabin. We took a lot of pictures and video of the cabin and balcony before our bags arrived as we knew that would be the last time the cabin would be so neat and tidy and uncluttered. We wound up 2 doors from the first Deluxe Veranda suite (cabins and balconies twice the size of ours plus these passengers had entry to the Neptune Lounge.)

Our 049 cabin on the Navigation deck was only steps away from the aft elevators and stairs with only one floor up to the Lido buffet. The Lido outside overhang, was right above our cabin balcony so our balcony did not get much direct sun light. We loved the cabin and the cabin location.

Since there were major snow storms and delays up the east coast on the day prior to our cruise, we thought our departure from Fort Lauderdale would be delayed… but not to worry. We left right on time. The delayed people, including the Captain of the ship, didn’t catch up with the Statendam until 2 days later in Mayaguez, Porto Rico.

Our cruise on the Statendam was for 18 days, from Fort Lauderdale, through the Panama Canal, up the Mexican Rivera coast to San Diego. If one likes tons of ship board activity, the Statendam would not be for them. However, if one likes a great ship with a fabulous crew, fabulous food, and what I would think is the ‘way it used to be cruise world’ the Statendam would work just fine for them. We loved every minute on the ship and didn't have any trouble finding things to do...it was just an awesome cruise.

The food was incredible…never dull or boring or quanity versus quality. Yes, the buffet is small compared to Princess and Celebrity buffets, but the food served on the Statendam was absolutely WONDERFUL. Does fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast count? It sure did for me.

The food served in the dining room was the best ever cruise ship food. However, the service for our table for eight was slow and tiring. Our waiter was doing the best he could do…with little help. After the seventh night of poor service…someone at our table reported the problem to the matradee. The next night the service level was impeccable and the food continued to be the best food ever on a cruise ship.

On day 12, heading up the Pacific coast (right after going through the Panama Canal) towards the Mexican Rivera, the Statendam had some kind of engine problems. We languished in the Pacific going along at a very slow speed and sometimes at a dead standstill for hours. The yum yum man (the guy who hands out the figs and mints when you leave the dining room) said the engine had to be repaired and they were testing it that day. Also something about the stabilizers were fixed or were being fixed. Anyway…it was a lovely sea day and we enjoyed the aft pool, our balcony and the Lido. We were in no hurry so the slow speed was fine with us.

In summary, we loved being on the Statendam and we loved the ship and we were very pleased with Holland America overall. The final decision was, YES, we will be taking another HAL cruise. So we put down our “Future Cruise Deposit” like we always do while on board a Princess cruise ship and we are now looking forward to our next Holland America cruise!

In summary: We loved sailing on The Elegant and Stately Statendam (which is what the Captain and the Cruise Director always said when talking about the ship.)

When our cruise ended, the Statendam was headed up the coast to Vancouver to serve as a hotel for the winter Olympics’ security staff. Then, the Elegant and Stately Statendam will be off to dry dock for a redo.

My many Statendam pictures are posted in Webshots if you are interested in viewing them.

Glad you enjoyed your time on the Statendam. I told you she was great. As I said before and it bears repeating, she is still our favorite ship. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

You sure did tell me she was great. :)

And I appreciated hearing it! :)

You know how doubtful I was pre-Statendam-cruise. Thanks for reading my review.

Thanks for the lovely report. We were on the Statendam the month of November doing a b2b cruise. And we had wonderful food, too. We also had wonderful service and one of the best wine stewards of any of the cruises I have taken on Holland America---William. He not only was attentive to our table, but he also performed magic tricks and entertained our whole table.

You are correct there aren't alot of activities (certainly not the ones I'm interested in), but we don't need the activities to have a good time. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. You might also consider the Ryndam for a future cruise---same size ship and a fabulous crew.

The DW and I quite enjoyed your review, and even more so your photos. While a cruise isn’t in the works for us this year, it’s fun living vicariously through the adventures of others. So far, we’ve only managed to sneak in a couple Princess cruises, and a 14 day back to back on the Statendam last May. Like you, we found the food, crew, and adventure to be fantastic. It would appear you found your trip to be just as fun and relaxing as we did.

I met the Statendam in October and I was very pleased indeed. I'm glad you were too.

I realize sometimes the reviews that claim near disaster added to daily beatings tend to be more memorable, but really it was another wonderful trip.

Now, thanks to you, new cruisers will know what we know.

Thanks for your wonderful review. I am relieved that there are great reviews on this ship. After all the horrible reviews and stories I have been quite concerned about our upcoming Panama Canal trip. Now I feel much better. I am now sure I will have a wonderful trip.

Again thanks

Helen

I have had four cruises on the Statendam and I always found her to be the way you describe her. I did two on her in 1997, one in 2000 and one in 2003 and I liked this ship each time. i am glad that someone new to HAL liked her so much. My three favorites are the AMSTERDAM, VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM. However, of the "S" Class ships, I would certainly rate the STATENDAM as my "favorite" with the RYNDAM just behind.

Thanks for posting your positive review. Mostly we hear the negatives. But those of us who cruise HAL often know why we like HAL so much. We did the Statendam south from Alaska and had a very nice cruise on her. I personally prefer HAL's smaller ships but we do seem to sail often on the Noordam. I think it is just more walking on the larger ones.:)

On day 12, heading up the Pacific coast (right after going through the Panama Canal) towards the Mexican Rivera, the Statendam had some kind of engine problems. We languished in the Pacific going along at a very slow speed and sometimes at a dead standstill for hours. The yum yum man (the guy who hands out the figs and mints when you leave the dining room) said the engine had to be repaired and they were testing it that day. Also something about the stabilizers were fixed or were being fixed. Anyway…it was a lovely sea day and we enjoyed the aft pool, our balcony and the Lido. We were in no hurry so the slow speed was fine with us.

In summary, we loved being on the Statendam and we loved the ship and we were very pleased with Holland America overall.

We loved sailing on The Elegant and Stately Statendam (which is what the Captain and the Cruise Director always said when talking about the ship.)

I was on this cruise and I feel the same way. I loved the ship and found the service to be excellent. It is funny....I had no idea we had engine trouble that first day out of the Canal! I guess I was too busy having fun to notice. Maybe that is why I started feeling a little vibration in my cabin. I was on the lowest deck just forward of mid-ship and usually felt only the slightest of rocking (even the night some friends on Deck 9 were awakened by gale force winds :)). I found my standard outside cabin quite comfortable and spacious (much more so than a comparable cabin on Princess and Celebrity). While I heard a few complaints about the air-conditioning in some of the lower deck cabins, mine was perfect....I could get it cold when I wanted and warmer when I wanted it.

What I really noticed was how happy the crew seemed to be. The always ready smiles never seemed forced and they often were singing quietly to themselves as they worked. When the crew is happy it speaks well for the management and it makes for great service. When you like what you are doing, you do it well.

Thanks again, Jeanne for writing the review! :)

The ship does have a lot of engine issues. I sailed this ship in Oct. and we were late getting into 2 ports...one of them being San Diego. I just about missed my plane at 1:25pm. I love going to the Panama Canal but I will not be going on the Statendam again in the near future. I've spent 40 days on that ship since Nov.08...and it's really not my favorite.

Thanks to the OP for the review.

The ship does have a lot of engine issues. I sailed this ship in Oct. and we were late getting into 2 ports...one of them being San Diego. I just about missed my plane at 1:25pm. I love going to the Panama Canal but I will not be going on the Statendam again in the near future. I've spent 40 days on that ship since Nov.08...and it's really not my favorite.

Thanks to the OP for the review.

Lorekauf - Can I ask a question? What is about Statendam that makes the ship "not my favorite"? Can you give us more details?

I am so glad you had a good time. Statendam was our very first cruise ship, and Ryndam was our second cruise. Zaandam is our favorite ship.

That first experience kept us coming back to HAL. Although we are not currently booked on any HAL ship (DH likes to have golf cruises), 2012 belongs to HAL ! :D

Pat

Lorekauf - Can I ask a question? What is about Statendam that makes the ship "not my favorite"? Can you give us more details?

It more the condition of the ship then anything else. Some will argue and say it's in pristine shape. I've been on quite a few cruises and I've seen a lot of ships so my opinion might be different then someone that has been on 3 cruises. I feel the ship is in the worst shape of all of HALs ships. While anything can happen on any ship I'm getting very leary of sailing on these old ships. My favorite used to be the Ryndam but it's sounding more and more like the Statendam. The service and food on the Statendam were fine for the most part. This is "my" opinion only.....please don't beat me up for it.

It more the condition of the ship then anything else. Some will argue and say it's in pristine shape. I've been on quite a few cruises and I've seen a lot of ships so my opinion might be different then someone that has been on 3 cruises. I feel the ship is in the worst shape of all of HALs ships. While anything can happen on any ship I'm getting very leary of sailing on these old ships. My favorite used to be the Ryndam but it's sounding more and more like the Statendam. The service and food on the Statendam were fine for the most part. This is "my" opinion only.....please don't beat me up for it.

I agree the ship is not "pristine" shape. But I would rather be on a ship that is small and intimate with excellent service from a happy crew than on a brand new pristine ship that doesn't have that service. It is all a matter of what is important. But I have certainly been on more than 3 cruises and am comparing the Statendam to Regent. Is it in as good a condition as the Regent Seven Seas Voyager was (at least in 2004 when it was still a new ship)? and is the food quite as good as on Regent? No, but the level of service is as good and I can afford to do a HAL cruise. Regent has almost priced themselves out of my range. Some people wouldn't like the Statendam because there aren't as many activities (I guess) as on some other lines, but that is not important to me. I don't like most of the planned activities and prefer to have my activities revolve around my friends, but that is just me. That is why all different kinds of cruise lines and different ships within those lines are in business....because we all have different ideas of what is important. The JWJ's and I (and many of the other people I met on board) loved the atmosphere of the ship enough that we could overlook a few areas that were a little "tired". At the disembarkation briefing and crew farewell on our cruise, the cruise director compared the ship to a favorite aunt who was now "up in years". She had once been beautiful and so now even though she had a few health problems and was getting up in age, you could see that beauty and you still loved her. I thought that was an excellent analogy (wish I could repeat it as well as Lizabeth originally said it). lorekauf, I am not beating you up.....just wanted to explain why I, as someone who had cruised more than 3 times, still loved the Statendam even though she isn't in pristine condition.:)

I agree the ship is not "pristine" shape. But I would rather be on a ship that is small and intimate with excellent service from a happy crew than on a brand new pristine ship that doesn't have that service. It is all a matter of what is important. But I have certainly been on more than 3 cruises and am comparing the Statendam to Regent. Is it in as good a condition as the Regent Seven Seas Voyager was (at least in 2004 when it was still a new ship)? and is the food quite as good as on Regent? No, but the level of service is as good and I can afford to do a HAL cruise. Regent has almost priced themselves out of my range. Some people wouldn't like the Statendam because there aren't as many activities (I guess) as on some other lines, but that is not important to me. I don't like most of the planned activities and prefer to have my activities revolve around my friends, but that is just me. That is why all different kinds of cruise lines and different ships within those lines are in business....because we all have different ideas of what is important. The JWJ's and I (and many of the other people I met on board) loved the atmosphere of the ship enough that we could overlook a few areas that were a little "tired". At the disembarkation briefing and crew farewell on our cruise, the cruise director compared the ship to a favorite aunt who was now "up in years". She had once been beautiful and so now even though she had a few health problems and was getting up in age, you could see that beauty and you still loved her. I thought that was an excellent analogy (wish I could repeat it as well as Lizabeth originally said it). lorekauf, I am not beating you up.....just wanted to explain why I, as someone who had cruised more than 3 times, still loved the Statendam even though she isn't in pristine condition.:)

No, there is a certain poster on this board that likes to beat me up and say the ship is in pristine condition. It isn't anyone that has posted on this thread. It gets tiresome because he's been on very few cruises. I'm self entertaining so I don't need activites to keep me interested. The activities just don't appeal to me anyway. I do like smaller ships but the Statendam is a little small for me. I would say so far the Volendam has been my favorite...but it has been several years since I've been on that ship. My issue was getting home after the cruise. I'm still in the workforce and have limited holidays so I don't like being delayed. I also had pretty bad a/c issues on the ship until I took matter in my own hands. The front office staff couldn't have cared less (at least one guy I dealt with anyway) and I pulled the a/c guy in my cabin when I found him in the hallway. A passanger shouldn't have to do that.

No, there is a certain poster on this board that likes to beat me up and say the ship is in pristine condition. It isn't anyone that has posted on this thread. It gets tiresome because he's been on very few cruises. I'm self entertaining so I don't need activites to keep me interested. The activities just don't appeal to me anyway. I do like smaller ships but the Statendam is a little small for me. I would say so far the Volendam has been my favorite...but it has been several years since I've been on that ship. My issue was getting home after the cruise. I'm still in the workforce and have limited holidays so I don't like being delayed. I also had pretty bad a/c issues on the ship until I took matter in my own hands. The front office staff couldn't have cared less (at least one guy I dealt with anyway) and I pulled the a/c guy in my cabin when I found him in the hallway. A passanger shouldn't have to do that.

The Volendam is only 62 feet longer than the Statendam. Surprised that it makes that much of a difference to you. Anyway, the OP was not asking for criticisms. He was merely making a very positive statement, and it is a shame that other people's negative opinions could in any way dampen that enthusiasm. We were on the Statendam for 25 days in March, 2008, and absolutely loved her. Yes, she was showing some age, but that didn't affect the ships performance. I can see why engine problems would be discouraging, but that can happen even on newer ships and it is not the case with every Statendam cruise. We have not had the pleasure of sailing the Volendam - hopefully it will be in our future.

The Volendam is only 62 feet longer than the Statendam. Surprised that it makes that much of a difference to you. Anyway, the OP was not asking for criticisms. He was merely making a very positive statement, and it is a shame that other people's negative opinions could in any way dampen that enthusiasm. We were on the Statendam for 25 days in March, 2008, and absolutely loved her. Yes, she was showing some age, but that didn't affect the ships performance. I can see why engine problems would be discouraging, but that can happen even on newer ships and it is not the case with every Statendam cruise. We have not had the pleasure of sailing the Volendam - hopefully it will be in our future.

The Volendam does carry 1440 so it is bigger. I thought this was a board where were were allowed to make statements....both positive and negative. Sorry you found it so offensive. There have been several cruises on the Statendam with engine problems. I would have like to have known that ahead of time. If it's not an issue for you, so be it. I do not have all the time in the world to get back to Calgary....so things may be different for you. With you living in Florida I am assuming it would be an easy car or plane ride home, this is not the case for me. I'm happy that you enjoyed your cruise on the Statendam but it wouldn't be my first pick as a ship...YMMV. This is why I'm reluctant to say anything because people feel they have to defend the cruise line/ship like they are married to it or gave birth to it.

:) Everyone has a right to their own personal opinion. :)

And this is my opinion of the Statendam.

I've sailed on brand spanking new ships and I've sailed on older ships like the Millennium and the Sea Princess. The Statendam is an older, stately and elegant ship and I loved sailing on her. Furthermore, in regard to your opinion (the Statendam is in the worst shape of all of HALs ships) if this is the case, I personally will not have a problem sailing on any of the other HAL ships. Sorry the Statendam experienced engine problems that didn't work for your schedule. I would be upset about that too.

I really enjoyed this review. The OP had read "sketchy" reviews of the Statendam and other things that made him/her say "YIKES." It was wonderful to read that this cruise was fabulous. I have always respected Lorekauf's postings and they are not mean spirited. This fall we will have all of our three young adults in college and (if there is a penny left) will be able to travel on some of the itineraries that the older ships offer. Hearing both sides of the story is really nice when considering a cruise. The itinerary is VERY important to us and if consistent engine problems resulted in missing ports I would be upset. It's wonderful that this did not happen on this cruise.

After reading the original post I will look at Statendam itineraries more seriously but will be looking for information on problems that do not seem to be solved. Cherie

I have always respected Lorekauf's postings and they are not mean spirited.

After reading the original post I will look at Statendam itineraries more seriously but will be looking for information on problems that do not seem to be solved. Cherie

Thank you for the kind words...and of course I'm not trying to be mean spirited. I think you are wise in keeping your eyes open to potential problems but not crossing the Statendam off your list. I would never cancel or not book a cruise based on what one person says but it would possibly open my eyes to potential issues.

Archived