TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

There's lots of good ideas in this thread.

But, I would think carefully if you really need to bring a lot of these things. I'll bet most of it, if you bring it, you will never use.

But, that could just be MY thinking. I like to travel pretty light. A lot of these items sound like they would be neat to bring, or useful. BUT, will you REALLY use them once you are on your cruise??!!

Just remember that all of this has to be kept in your cabin somewhere. And it has to be repacked to go back home. It really takes quite a bit of time to get everything together when you have to pack for home on the last day.

I found that when I brought all sorts of "this and that", that I did not use most of it. And it was annoying to have it all in my cabin. And super annoying when I had to get it all packed up to go home.

Some things in these lists, for me, I would say YES, I would definitely use THAT. But, I think carefully about just what I will use and will not use and try not to bring too much random "stuff"!

Just my very humble opinion!!!!! Ha!

Yes magnets...highlighters. ..good attitude

Overnight bag for last night....on our first cruise I did not realize they take the luggage away the night before disembarkment. Good thing I had small bag to use

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We use a backpack for each for traveling, eliminate a purse all together. This holds the camera, wallet, meds, spare underoos etc. No need for an additional bag for the night before disembarkation.

• 2 months later...

I would like to see a brand new top 5, there are just too many pages to read. Help!

Does anyone have any helpful new ideas?

I have one that I have not seen anywhere that I will be trying next week...I'll let you know how it goes.

Get creative people!

New top 5 Challenge issued.

GO!

Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

BTW.... NCL does not allow travel irons!

I would like to see a brand new top 5, there are just too many pages to read. Help!

Does anyone have any helpful new ideas?

I have one that I have not seen anywhere that I will be trying next week...I'll let you know how it goes.

Get creative people!

New top 5 Challenge issued.

GO!

Its not that hard to read since it all in one thread, so do it!!! The most important things to bring on a cruise are:

1)Credit Card or cash

2) Passport or ID documentation like State ID and Birth Certificate

3) Boarding Pass

Everything else is suggested, like:

4) clothes for climate you're going to

5) electronic device(s) with chargers with or w/o power cord

Not much different from 2004 to now with packing and lists. *shrug*

Edited by maywell

• 1 month later...

Irons? Probably not. The biggest threat on the ship is always fire. Try to bring clothing that travels will usually a stretchy jersey fabrics and leave the linen at home. I always pack my husband's dress shirt in the plastic wrap from the dry cleaners as well as his suit. I folded down one-way stomach down, then load clothes and fold in the chest part facing up in the suitcase this helps very much.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Halo Oral Antiseptic Spray - It's an oral spray that you spray in your throat to kill airborne viruses. We religiously use this on planes, trains and ships. Having caught some epic colds in the past we haven't had a single one since using it. You can Google it and read about it.

PartySmart capsules for the FEW times the bartender over-serves you.

Wallflower plug-in room fragrance - the stewards tell us they spend longer cleaning our room because they love how it smells. That can't be a bad thing.

Halo Oral Antiseptic Spray - It's an oral spray that you spray in your throat to kill airborne viruses. We religiously use this on planes, trains and ships. Having caught some epic colds in the past we haven't had a single one since using it. You can Google it and read about it.

Wallflower plug-in room fragrance - the stewards tell us they spend longer cleaning our room because they love how it smells. That can't be a bad thing.

Personally, I LOVE Emergen-C. Works a treat! I'm a substitute teacher. Normally I get sick 3-4 times in any given year. This year, I took Emergen-C every day and got sick only once, and that only lasted one day. Highly recommend!

Great thought about the Wallflower!

Also, thank you all for this thread!!! So helpful!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Edited by kayjaypea42

I also like the tealight candles. I got them at Dollar Tree I thought 2 for $1.00 was great. I also got folding baskets at Dollar Tree. I use these in my nightstand to put all the little things I seem to collect. I also bring the over the door shoe holder and I have a an over the shower holder to keep things tidy in the small bathroom.

Candi

2. Power Strip/Extension Cord

and I just want to make sure that you take power strips and NOT surge protectors.... these are very dangerous for ships. Maybe NCL has corrected the electrical issue or maybe it isn't even relative to NCL but who wants to roll the dice

I am not going to pretend I understand why... but here is the US Coast Guard Marine Safety Alert

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Edited by esm54687

In today's environment, I think it's very important to bring bug spray. I don't like the ones with DEET because I'm not convinced they are that safe for kids. But there are alternatives. There is a lemon eucalyptus spray, and there is a lotion that contains picoridin (sp?). Got both of these at REI.

I read here on CC somewhere that NCL won't let you use the over the door shoe organizers because they scar the door surfaces. Any substitute ways to hang them? 3M strip hooks? Magnetic hooks if the doors are metal?

I read here on CC somewhere that NCL won't let you use the over the door shoe organizers because they scar the door surfaces. Any substitute ways to hang them? 3M strip hooks? Magnetic hooks if the doors are metal?

I have used an over the door shoe holder for my last 6 NCL cruises and never had a problem.

Command strips work well and are easy to remove on the smooth surfaces. :D