• Carnival
    • NCL
    • Holland America
    • MSC
    • Cunard
    • Oceania
    • Costa
    • Other: Please Comment

I'd like to poll CC members on their opinions of cruise ships. I'm not asking what the best cruise line is. I'm only asking about the physical ships. Please vote and feel free to comment. Thanks. :)

As for me, based on my studies of pictures, videos, etc, I think Royal has the most amazing ships. Of the cruises I have actually been on, the Princess ship was the most impressive......however, my previous cruises were on much older ships.

I'd like to poll CC members on their opinions of cruise ships. I'm not asking what the best cruise line is. I'm only asking about the physical ships. Please vote and feel free to comment. Thanks. :)

If you're talking the strongest, best engineered ship. I'd say the Queen Mary 2. She is a purpose built ocean liner and handles the sea much better than any other ship currently sailing.

As far as the ships themselves it really depends on your personal tastes. Some people enjoy the vast choices available on RCCL's Oasis of the Seas while still others prefer the elegance of the Celebrity Solstice.

Jonathan

None of the cruise lines build ships. Most cruise ships are built by companies in Norway, France, Germany, Italy and Japan. Most major cruise lines use several different companies to build their ships.

If you're talking the strongest, best engineered ship. I'd say the Queen Mary 2. She is a purpose built ocean liner and handles the sea much better than any other ship currently sailing.

As far as the ships themselves it really depends on your personal tastes. Some people enjoy the vast choices available on RCCL's Oasis of the Seas while still others prefer the elegance of the Celebrity Solstice.

Thanks Jonathan. I'm referring to most impressive by looks, amenities, etc, not by seaworthiness. In that case, I would agree that Cunard's QE2 would be my first choice.

None of the cruise lines build ships. Most cruise ships are built by companies in Norway, France, Germany, Italy and Japan. Most major cruise lines use several different companies to build their ships.

Yes, I know that. Come on. You know what I mean.

100% correct.

The best ship builders are companies that the average cruise has never heard of.

I'll vote for Lürssen Werft, for no other reason than I think Octopus is amazing. It even has a private mini-sub!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Megayacht_Octopus.jpg

I'll also admit that Chantiers de l'Atlantique did a great job with the QM2

Thanks Jonathan. I'm referring to most impressive by looks, amenities, etc, not by seaworthiness. In that case, I would agree that Cunard's QE2 would be my first choice.

But isn't that all a function of cost?

So basically you are just asking what was the most expensive. And we all know that QM2 and Oasis will take those votes.

But isn't that all a function of cost?

So basically you are just asking what was the most expensive. And we all know that QM2 and Oasis will take those votes.

The best ship builders are companies that the average cruise has never heard of.

Are you folks really not getting this? Was my question that confusing? :confused:

Folks, all I'm asking is; what cruise line sails your favorite ships? That's all. No more, no less.

No ship has impressed me more than Oasis did. I doubt another will impress me like that anytime soon. :)

I have to agree. Oasis is stunning. Prior to Oasis, Freedom Class was the best (IMO). Needles to say, I voted RCI. :)

Cruiser Chloe - your question was very clear. Don't sweat it. ;)

Our favourite ship- for the ship only- is Ventura....BUT she is just a Carnival clone, and is one of the Grand class, identical to Princess, Costa etc. The same with Cunard's Victoria, another Carnival clone.

There's only one ocean liner left, the QM2. Just looking up at her prow, made to cut thru' Atlantic storms, is dizzying.

jocap.

A lot of ships seem to be coming out of Fincantieri (maybe not spelt correct) in Italy. It also seems that there is one basic blueprint that a line adapts for a specific ship with some minor adaptations and alterations, and the process of selecting colors, fabrics, wallcoverings carpets, etc etc and thier "signature" smoke stack. The ships basically, aren't all that different from one another. I remember a few years ago there was ship under construction in this yard, I think it was for Princess, and all of a sudden Cunard needed a ship IMMEDIATELY, so while this ship was approx 75% completed, all of a sudden, it became "Queen Vicotria".

Our favourite ship- for the ship only- is Ventura....BUT she is just a Carnival clone, and is one of the Grand class, identical to Princess, Costa etc. The same with Cunard's Victoria, another Carnival clone.

I must be missing something, Princess ships don't look anything like Carnival & Costa?

I must be missing something, Princess ships don't look anything like Carnival & Costa?

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I know that Carnival Corp uses the some of the same ship designs for Carnival, Costa, and Holland America, but I have never seen Princess with the same design. :confused:

A lot of ships seem to be coming out of Fincantieri (maybe not spelt correct) in Italy. It also seems that there is one basic blueprint that a line adapts for a specific ship with some minor adaptations and alterations, and the process of selecting colors, fabrics, wallcoverings carpets, etc etc and thier "signature" smoke stack. The ships basically, aren't all that different from one another. I remember a few years ago there was ship under construction in this yard, I think it was for Princess, and all of a sudden Cunard needed a ship IMMEDIATELY, so while this ship was approx 75% completed, all of a sudden, it became "Queen Vicotria".

Using Google maps, put in Monfalcone Italy. Switch to satellite, and hone in on the new build in the docks. This is a 2010 image, and going by the funnels and date of release, this must be Azura, the latest Grand class ship, sister to Ventura, Grand Princess etc. Her naming and pre-inaugurals are on April 10 this year. I'm fortunate enough to be invited to the naming ceremony.

Jo.

I remember a few years ago there was ship under construction in this yard, I think it was for Princess, and all of a sudden Cunard needed a ship IMMEDIATELY, so while this ship was approx 75% completed, all of a sudden, it became "Queen Vicotria".

The Queen Victoria is the 5th of Holland America's Vista class, with a few changes. The change was made pretty early in the construction phase, if not even before construction began.

Not being a fan of the mega, mass-market ships, I put in my vote for Oceania. Not as expensive as "luxury" lines, but unquestionably excellent service. No big list of extraordinary activities, and broadway shows, but lots of ports, and great treatment.

Just remember, amateurs built Noah's ark, experts built the Titanic!

HAL ships - far and away.

A) Handsome blue hull -not the absurd jewels, rainbows or whatevers with which NCL hulls are embellished.

B) Teak decks, not the plastic, asphalt or whatever material others have.

C) Traditional lines, not the skyscraper/office building look of most other lines' larger ships; nor the shopping mall, something-for-everyone-who-clearly-would-rather-be-at-an-amusement-park-than-on-a-ship format of RCL's Oasis.

D) Logical layout, rather than the weird ups-and-downs on ships like Sapphire Princess or Carnival victory and their sister ships.

E) Reasonable size - as opposed to the mega-shipsnow so much in fashion.

F) Adherence to tradition - such as the coin under the stepped mast (if you don't know what this means, it probably won't matter to you).

G) The sort of service which seems to go along with the line's taste in ships.

The Queen Victoria is the 5th of Holland America's Vista class, with a few changes. The change was made pretty early in the construction phase, if not even before construction began.

I'm fairly familiar with HAL's Vista class -- Queen Victoria may have originated as #5 Vista, but the change had to come very early on - there is minimal similarity.

I'm fairly familiar with HAL's Vista class -- Queen Victoria may have originated as #5 Vista, but the change had to come very early on - there is minimal similarity.

I agree. The layout is the same, but the appearance is very different. Both are gorgeous, imo.

NONE OF THE ABOVE

None of the listed companies in the poll build ships. Most are actually built by European Shipyards such as Kvaerner Masa (Finland), Meyer Werft(Germany), Alstom Chantiers de L'Atlantique (France) and so on.

Archived