Tips for baggage handlers??

wines60

Don't know if this has been addressed with all the other posts/threads concerning tips. When we drop off ur luggage at the port at FLL, are tips appropriate/expected much like tips for a sky cap when checking bags at the curb at an airport? If yes, then what is a reasonable amount? I know the answer is out there from our large CC readership. Thanks a bunch. Marion

Yes, a tip is appropriate.

There are people here who will say there are signs that say no tip necessary etc but tips are definitely expected and readily accepted.

We would not dream of not tipping. Some call it insurance their suitcase will be safely boarded on the ship. :D :) I don't know if they are serious or not. :o

We normally tip $1.00 per bag . We usually only check in 2 bags & carry on our carry on bags with the valuables,medicines ie .

The only pier that the baggage handlers didn't take any tips was at Canada Place for the Alaska cruises .Now that was several years ago .

We usually tip 5 bucks for the lot, anywhere from 2 to 4 suitcases. They seem to expect it, especially in Fort Lauderdale. I believe they split it amongst themselves as I saw them watch with eagle eyes what was given to the person who handled the bags.

We usually tip $5 also. I've encountered some pretty aggressive baggage handlers who may as well have come right out and said "If you want to see your bags again anytime soon, pay up now". I think of the $5 as a form of insurance. :)

We travel with Friends & rent a van to Fort Lauderdale..We usually have 6 checked bags for the four of us plus a small box of wine...Our DH's normally drop my Friend & me at the terminal with the bags before returning the van to the airport..

My Friend & I have found that if we tip the porters $20.00 ($10 per couple) for the lot, we'll get extra service...;)

We realize we're probably over-tipping on embarcation day, however we have never lost a bag...We've spent lots for our cruises so It's worth it to us to be sure we get all our bags on-board & in good shape ..;)

Upon disembarcation we'll still tip the same, as the porters most always take our hand luggage on the cart (4 more pieces), which actually comes out to $2.00 per bag..

I worked for an International Airline & see how bags are handled at the Airports..:eek: In addition, as others have said, our bags are quite heavy!

Cheers....:)Betty

We always tip the baggage handlers, so that is not the reason for my question. How many people report lost or damaged bags to begin with? I'm really not aware of many incidents of this being told on here and I've been here for years. And while I'm waiting for my husband to walk back from the parking garage I see an awful lot of people not tipping the porters. My recollection is that the baggage handlers are helping folks with their bags as fast as they can and I can't see many of them having time to steal a bag or even remember which non-tippers gave him which bags if he even wanted to do something to them.

the only time we never tipped the baggage handlers at Vancouver pier was on our first cruise out of there - result, maybe co-incidental, maybe not, was two trashed suitcases - wheels missing and a hole right through one and both were hard sided. We know what those men make and certainly didn't think they needed tips on top of that huge salary.

We have always tipped at other piers and since that one time also tip in Vancouver - and yes, they do take tips - one man even checked to see what we gave him to make sure it was enough I guess.

We have always tipped but a lady I was visiting with on a cruise had NO luggage. She had taken the train a short ways "to the pier" in SD and had handed her luggage to the longshoreman with a tip.

We learned way after halfway through that cruise that her luggage had been put on the OTHER SHIP that was at the OTHER pier. Go figure.

Boarding in SD a couple of weeks ago, the place where we gave them our luggage was not outside where people get dropped off, but INside.....and they were just taking it and putting it into those carts and there was no tipping that I saw. It was SO fast, I didn't have time to dig a tip out.......and we were on our way......... cuz the next people were handing theirs over.:cool:

Don't know if this has been addressed with all the other posts/threads concerning tips. When we drop off ur luggage at the port at FLL, are tips appropriate/expected much like tips for a sky cap when checking bags at the curb at an airport? If yes, then what is a reasonable amount? I know the answer is out there from our large CC readership. Thanks a bunch. Marion

We tip $5 for two 40-lb bags. I have the money ready so that at the same time we give our bags I hand the $5 bill to the porter.

We tip $5. It does all run a little expensive. Arrive airport, tip porter, taxi to hotel, tip driver, porter to room, tip porter. Leave hotel on cruise day, tip for room staff, tip for porter, tip taxi...arrrive port tip baggage handler. That is a lot of bucks before even starting the cruise:eek:

When planning a vacation, we always consider all those incidental expenses such as tips (off the ship) and taxis etc as part of our vacation cost and expect to add a certain sum on top of set cruise expenses. It's all part of travel and anyone who eases our way, helps us even if it is 'their job', we are happy to give a smile and tip. It's expected and I think (most) of us know and accept that.

When planning a vacation, we always consider all those incidental expenses such as tips (off the ship) and taxis etc as part of our vacation cost and expect to add a certain sum on top of set cruise expenses. It's all part of travel and anyone who eases our way, helps us even if it is 'their job', we are happy to give a smile and tip. It's expected and I think (most) of us know and accept that.

I agree. Those tips can really add up, but we figure it's all part of our cruise vacation expense and we include tips (including cabin service) into our budget (also including tour bus drivers/guides).

At the airports we usually use the electric cart service since my husband has difficulty walking, and that's another tip from us as well. But we're really grateful when we can get that service.

Archived