Flat Panel TV's on QM2?

eroller

Not a big deal, but I'm curious if QM2 has flat panel TV's in all the cabins? This is pretty much the standard expected today, and even more budget lines like Carnival have them.

The last time I sailed on QM2 was when she was new in 2004. The TV's were not flat-panel, but she did have a state of the art interactive TV system (for the time anyway). You could program your own favorites from a wide selection of music. It was pretty cool. Sadly I hear this system has been disabled or removed entirely.

I guess I'm a bit of a techie, and just wondering if QM2 is keeping up with the times. She was quite advanced when she was first introduced. I have since sailed on ships like CELEBRITY SOLSTICE and OASIS OF THE SEAS which are a techie dream come true. ;) I doubt I will be watching much TV but the flat panels are so much nicer, take up less space and use less energy.

Ernie

As of last December, my sheltered balcony grade cabin still had a bulky

traditional TV, and the interactive features were gone.

Didn't really matter as the only thing I watched was the "Report from the Bridge", navigational updates, ship's speed, course maps, etc.

I imagine at some point these will be upgraded as HAL has done.

I cannot speak for all QM2 cabins, but some have flat panel video screens. Some still had crt sets too. On the QV we had flat panel sets, in fact two one for the bedroom and one for the living room. But she is a few years newer than QM2. It will interesting to see what they have now. I will know in a bit more than 6 weeks.

Mike.

Ernie, which crossing are you on? JT

Leaving in just over two weeks. Sailing on 4/22/10.

It does surprise me that a ship like QM2 hasn't migrated over to flat panels. Almost all major cruise lines today have switched over their fleets to flat panels. Customers love them and they are more energy efficient as well.

Ernie

Yes, still crt sets. Ours was pretty useless - everything had a green cast though we were not bothered as we don't go cruising to sit watching tv.

Although QM2 is still a "young" ship we thought she was beginning to look dated already in some ways. Speed of modern life probably.

David.

I was suprised at the old TVs on QM2 cabins, Ok I know the grills have flat screens, but why did they put those old things in the other cabins.

Now you cant use them for emails or looking at your bill or ordering room service like you used to be able to do.

we also dont sit and watch tv, but it is nice to have on in the morning while getting ready for breakfast, nice to see whats what for the day ahead,and I like the gary king show around 5pm

we also dont sit and watch tv, but it is nice to have on in the morning while getting ready for breakfast, nice to see whats what for the day ahead,and I like the gary king show around 5pm

What I loved was putting together my own playlist of music. I enjoy playing music while getting ready for dinner and it was a really nice touch.

QM2 sounds like it has really gone backwards in this regard.

On CELEBRITY SOLSTICE, every cabin TV was powered by an Apple Mac Mini. It's a very cool system, and like QM2's used to be, you can create a music playlist.

Funny, QM2's TV system was considered state of the art when she was built. On a high end famous ship such as QM2 I would expect the best. We are not talking about the CARNIVAL FANTASY here (which actually has flat panel TV's!).

Ernie

Yes, I have often thought about the lack of flat panels in most of the staterooms on a line that hypes itself as high end luxury.

Not that I spend alot of time, at sea or on land, watching TV.

I had a great interactive TV on Explorer of the Seas a few months ago. I could book/cancel shore excursions, make reservations, check the onboard account, etc.

Does anyone know why QM2 got rid of its interactive tv system? Its one thing to not update, its another thing to actually get rid of an advanced system to go to an obsolete one. Holland America not only has flat screen tvs, but DVD players in every cabin (at least on the Eurodam). I would think an interactive system would encourage passengers to spend more on board--room service, pay movies, specialty restaurant reservations, spa reservations.

I would like to see a flat panel screen mounted on the wall. This would provide some additional counter space above the refrigerator in the sheltered balcony staterooms.

Last November 2009, I missed the feature on the QM2 of the interactive TV system that was available since 2004. I guess Wi-Fi for the Internet is taking over.

Terrence

How does she look dated? (ok, aside from the TV's)

Well for one the Kings Court, compared with similar facilities on more recently built ships looks very outdated (transport caff like) The theatre would surely not have been designed as it is on a modern ship, and given that QM2 spends so much of the year on cruising it is doubtful if she would have had such inadequate swimming pools if being designed today.

David.

Well for one the Kings Court, compared with similar facilities on more recently built ships looks very outdated (transport caff like) The theatre would surely not have been designed as it is on a modern ship, and given that QM2 spends so much of the year on cruising it is doubtful if she would have had such inadequate swimming pools if being designed today.

David.

The QM2 was built for transatlantics, the Kings Court midship is to compensate for ships movement, other cruise ships have their lidos are on higher decks as they sail calmer waters. Yes, everyone has debated the layout to death, but as far a decor and upkeep it looks like the day it was built. The theater looks like every other cruise ship theater, pretty, serviceable, the Planitarium is a room other modern ships would dream of having onboard.

Again, the pools are based on an ocean liner. No one would every give QM2 high marks for a cruise, but there are many ships that offer cruise service to the Caribbean better suited to the route.

The QM2 is less dated, when you research why she was built the way she was.

PS: the ship just celebrated her 5th birthday, hardly old....

Not a big deal, but I'm curious if QM2 has flat panel TV's in all the cabins? This is pretty much the standard expected today, and even more budget lines like Carnival have them.

The last time I sailed on QM2 was when she was new in 2004. The TV's were not flat-panel, but she did have a state of the art interactive TV system (for the time anyway). You could program your own favorites from a wide selection of music. It was pretty cool. Sadly I hear this system has been disabled or removed entirely.

I guess I'm a bit of a techie, and just wondering if QM2 is keeping up with the times. She was quite advanced when she was first introduced. I have since sailed on ships like CELEBRITY SOLSTICE and OASIS OF THE SEAS which are a techie dream come true. ;) I doubt I will be watching much TV but the flat panels are so much nicer, take up less space and use less energy.

Ernie

They've been updating the TV's to flat screen. You'll find most of these in the Queens Grill.

Well for one the Kings Court, compared with similar facilities on more recently built ships looks very outdated (transport caff like) David.

I agree, the decor of the Kings Court leaves much to be missed, especially on a ship with the pretensions of QM2. It needs to be 'updated' to the standards of the public spaces in decks 2 and 3, adjusted to its use.

Other than that, I think the Kings Court was a brilliant idea. It is somehow unique, so I would not call it exactly 'outdated'. It has an intimacy that the vast casual dining areas found on many other (newer or older) ships lack. And I like the fact that it is easily and conveniently separated into four alternative areas.

As for lunching there, it may be a bit confusing at first. But then it is nice to have a stroll through its various venues before eating, so you can choose whatever suits you more.

They've been updating the TV's to flat screen. You'll find most of these in the Queens Grill.

Well I think thats a good idea, as for Kings court, I have seen better buffets like PCL windjammer, but the kings court is a great buffet, yes, confusing sometimes, and at night the place is really really special, the italian is great and the lotus wonderful

Archived