Help me get my DH to reconsider aft cabins ...

We sailed in an aft suite (vista suite) on Princess and it was so bad that my husband swears he'll never be caught dead in an aft cabin again! But I want to try again ... on RCCL.

We didn't even have fumes on the Princess (Crown Princess), enjoyed our HUGE, deep balcony with real wooden deck furniture, and the cabin was OK (bad layout for four). But it rocked. It rocked and swayed, and sometimes it felt like the bed was just a mattress floating all by itself on the waves. He felt woozier than usual (he always wears the Patch). Even I got a bit woozy on that ship, which was a new experience. For the record, we were on the Empress Deck (8, I believe?). There was just one cabin deck above us.

But I come here and again and again see how people RAVE about their aft cabins, their aft corner cabins, their aft suites!! I want to know what we're missing! I would definitely go for one again myself, but I need a little of the real skinny to ever convince DH to go along.

Help me, aft friends!

We didn't even have fumes on the Princess (Crown Princess), enjoyed our HUGE, deep balcony with real wooden deck furniture, and the cabin was OK (bad layout for four). But it rocked. It rocked and swayed, and sometimes it felt like the bed was just a mattress floating all by itself on the waves. He felt woozier than usual (he always wears the Patch). Even I got a bit woozy on that ship, which was a new experience. For the record, we were on the Empress Deck (8, I believe?). There was just one cabin deck above us.

!

ya know--- you might be one that feels the motion and an aft may not be for you. We sailed in the aft on both crown and caribbean-- never felt anything like you are describing. Did you hit rough waters? how was the weather?

If you DH felt woozy wearing a patch--you dont want to book him back there again--you could ruin your chances of cruising ever again

We've been in a bunch of afts. I don't wear the patch but do take Bonine - 1 a day with dinner in the evenings to be on the safe side. I've felt motion in the past wishing I was midship but also love watching the wake. However, on our Panama Canal cruise out of Miami, we reallly hit a bumpy patch. We were in #9256. I would have cheerfully traded for a midship Deck 2 interior. I stayed outside in a deck chair on Deck 5 letting the wind blow in my face and did not feel the motion at all. It wasn't noticible. However, when we went back to the room, I held on for dear life and had that awful feeling of being on the verge of vertigo. Motion doesn't bother my husband in the least. In fact, he doesn't even feel it. I'm with your husband - book one of the larger balconies midship on the Radiance class or on the hump on the larger ships. (I'm a little jealous of those that say the motion rocks them to sleep at night .... how I'd love that!)

The aft and fore of a ship has more movement...think of a see-saw...it's simple physics...can't be helped!

I prefer a cabin midships...less motion, less vibration...and more convenient.

After all, for 2, any balcony will provide the space you need to read, drink, and ocean-gaze....you don't need the space of an aft, unless you're inviting folks over!

What ship are you considering? The aft cabins on Voyager/Freedom class have views that are somewhat obstructed by the infrastructure of the ship. We didn't care for them at all, and felt that it was like overlooking a construction site. Your husband might be turned off by that, too.

If you're considering Radiance class ships, they have a much better view.

If I've posted this pic once, I've posted it 10 times in the last couple weeks....seems lots of discussion about aft cabins. Here is one of the reasons we'll always try to pick an aft:

2nk83le.jpg

We only had soot on our Balcony one time, just on the floor and the loungers, just took a towel and whisked it off, no problem. You won't find wooden loungers on RCCL and there is more vibration/noise, but the best view on the ship and little to no wind. A little more movement, but nothing we have not experienced both midship and lower than deck 8 aas well. Of course we are not affected by the movement even in high seas and don't take bonine. I'd let him wear the patch and you need to start that a couple days before you cruise. It should do the trick. Aft is awesome. We love it!:D

We have an upcoming cruise mid-ship (that's where the suites we wanted are located) after having been on an aft on NCL last year, and I'm worried that we won't get enough motion. For me, the rockier the better!

I know others rave about the aft cabins, but I'm sure most of them either enjoy or can tolerate the motion. It's no sense ordering the lobster, no matter how good everyone says it is, if you're allergic to sea food. I'm not sure it makes much sense to try to convince anyone to take an aft if they suffer from motion/sea sickness.

the aft will always feel more movement. We had a bad storm in the Med and we had 9256 back corner aft. We closed up the piano bar and went back to our room. We walked in and you would have thought the room was possessed. Every draw was going in and out, the TV was even sliding back and forth.

We went to sit on the bed and it wasn't there anymore. We don't get sick and we were laughing so hard trying to wedge everything closed but I would never have wanted to be there if I had any motion issues.

Thanks for all the replies. Fantastic photos, Jimbo!! THAT is why I want to be aft again.

And the hammock! Heaven.

Personally, I love the movement of the ship, the rocking and the listing both. I loved looking down into the wake until my mind completely empties of thought and all the stresses of daily land life are completely shed. I loved how secret and private the aft felt. And though I *ALSO* feel the motion of the ship when inhabiting a hump cabin or the like, I feel it a lot more aft. It just doesn't bother me so much. The few times I felt woozy in the Crown Princess cabin aft, I took Bonine then went out to wine and dine right after and was fine!

I guess what some of you have said is right: I probably won't get DH into an aft cabin again, and I probably shouldn't be trying to. He is obviously not cut out for that much motion.

For the record, the itinerary was W. Caribbean and the month was November (Thanksgiving 2009). Weather was generally great - warm, sunny - but it *was* too windy for us to land at Princess Cay. I don't remember the seas being rough, though. Not too rough. I guess I just loved that part, lol! But DH clearly did not!

Just came out of an aft cabin on the Enchantment OS. It was great but the first night was a bit rough; similar to the recent SoCal earthquake. Rest of the trip it was perfect. Large balcony!!

If you are going on a ship similar to the Mariner OS, there is superstructure that block views and sun. Have to get above it, I believe on deck 10.

We had a corner on Brilliance, 7172, that was excellent for a 12 day Med cruise; very calm in August/September last year.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a sorta OT question from a 1st timer. If you have an aft cabin and feel sick with no real relief, can you get switched to midship (if they have a cabin availible)?

Many of the ships are sailing full, so this probably wouldn't be an option.... If cabins were available, there might be a problem regarding type of cabin, difference in cost, etc.

I love the aft rooms! And I tend to get very seasick. I take Bonine throughout the cruise. I can't take the side to side rocking which you get on a rough day in a mid-ship room. The aft motion is very different and doesn't bother me at all. Never had any soot problem in an aft room.

And that balcony! Wonderful!

I'm always amused by these "How do I convince my husband" threads. We men are simple creature. There's a few things you can offer that will almost always get you your way. In this case, point out the advantages of all that rocking.

Note that there really shouldn't be that much difference in the motion in the aft of the ship. A little more, but not night-and-day difference. If you guys were getting all shook-up, it was likly due to rough water, not cabin location.

We've had 4 aft cabins and now I can't get my DH to even consider booking any other cabin! Absolutely love them and have never had a soot problem, but if we did that sure wouldn't stop us from booking aft. Only had motion problems (slight) on the Enchantment and also vibration noise when leaving a port. Voyager and Radiance aft cabins were divine and no motion at all. Makes us feel like we have the entire ocean to ourselves, so peaceful. Good luck and happy sailing!

Our Destiny cruise was an aft balcony. Never again. This cruise is the only time that we have ever suffered motion sickness (and we are accustomed to being on small dive boats). We were lucky that we did not get what I would call 'full blown seasick' but there were times throughout the week that we would be woosy and ill feeling. Even on our Inspiration cruise as we were skirting around Hurricane Charlie and the waters were very rough we had no problems.

Since your husband has motion issues I would really advise you to stick to cabins mid-ship. Would hate to have your cruise ruined with him being ill.

I loved the aft cabin we had, 7708 on the Freedom. I didn't notice any more motion in the aft than anywhere else. I think a lot of the motion issues have to do with the size of the ship and of course the weather. I have an upcoming cruise on the Oasis and I don't have and aft, couldn't afford one on that ship. I am already looking forward to having the same aft cabin in 2011.

Archived