Woman gives birth on 'Paradise'

jleq

So that makes the kid a Panamanian citizen, right??

Not necessarily. She might be called a citizen of the country her mom is from because she was born on the water, not land. But if the baby was born in port, we might already know her citizenship. Of course, I am totally clueless myself and also wonder what the American doctors say she is. Most likely, however, if officials were going to say she is Panaman, it would have made more sense for the mother to be evacuated at a Panama port instead of San Diego.

I don't know about this mother, but it is possible for a woman to not know about it. Also if the mother is obese, Carnival could have just thought the size of her midsection most likely is just extra fat she needed to lose. I can't judge a person I don't know.

By the way, SoCal's post is quoted in the article. Nice job, Stacey.

Did anyone ever think the baby can say her entire life she was born in Paradise? :)

Congratulations to the parents. Shame on Carnival. Now, what is that baby's name?

Not necessarily. She might be called a citizen of the country her mom is from because she was born on the water, not land. But if the baby was born in port, we might already know her citizenship. Of course, I am totally clueless myself and also wonder what the American doctors say she is. Most likely, however, if officials were going to say she is Panaman, it would have made more sense for the mother to be evacuated at a Panama port instead of San Diego.

I don't know about this mother, but it is possible for a woman to not know about it. Also if the mother is obese, Carnival could have just thought the size of her midsection most likely is just extra fat she needed to lose. I can't judge a person I don't know.

By the way, SoCal's post is quoted in the article. Nice job, Stacey.

Did anyone ever think the baby can say her entire life she was born in Paradise? :)

Congratulations to the parents. Shame on Carnival. Now, what is that baby's name?

Cara Paradise (don't remember the last name).

Bill

Chalk one up for the anti-smugglers! This incident is proof that Carnival are cracking down on smugglers. Sneaking a baby onboard is against the rules. If it is discovered you will be removed from the ship. They won't even wait until the next port. ;)

Do you have to pay 1/2 of the 3rd person rate for the baby?

Someone had to ask.

Of course not. You are talking about a newborn who was on the ship no more than one day. Carnival did not have to pay anything for that except the cost of evacuation.

headinhand.gif

I was born in a field and I turned out ok. :confused:

My DH and his twin were born in a back room in a little house in a little village in Sicily....his other siblings were born in the USA.....DH is the only normal one.......by normal I mean what most of us consider normal......no jokes needed here.

I think it is unfortunate that thousands of passengers, crew and ship were inconvenienced because one person felt she did not have to follow policy. If she knowingly cruised in violation of the 24 week policy, she should be held liable for an incurred expenses including a free round for all the passengers :D.

I am so glad both mother and daughter were ok. However, (and please no flames) I personally feel that the mother acted incredibly irresponsible towards her unborn child. I feel she is incredibly lucky the baby was born without major health issues and that the coastguard was able to help her. Just my two cents.

Not only that, but what about the fellow passengers? The article said that the ship was heading back to San Diego? Does that mean that the cruise was cut short? Did the other passengers miss a port of call?

For a medical emergency, I can understand things happen, but because somebody who was almost at full term in their pregnancy didn't want to lose the money that they paid for their cruise, or just wanted to go and didn't think anything would happen, that's just selfish and careless. Don't get mad at me, just stating my personal opinion.

I am glad that the baby is fine, it would have been terrible if it was a very pre-mature birth, but judging from the pictures, baby was "fully cooked". Thank goodness for the baby.

On a personal note, I would never want to cruise pregnant, especially that far along.....I just don't think I would have any fun. I like to wear cute clothes and enjoy adult beverages and do the more extreme shore excursions (zip lining, rafting, etc.).

She didn't know how far along she was. That's what the doctor on the cruise ship stated in a comment on the link somebody posted on the previous page in this thread.

I'm glad both baby and mother are doing just fine! I don't think I'd name my kid after a cruiseline (Cara) and ship (Paradise), though!!

She didn't know how far along she was. That's what the doctor on the cruise ship stated in a comment on the link somebody posted on the previous page in this thread.

I'm glad both baby and mother are doing just fine! I don't think I'd name my kid after a cruiseline (Cara) and ship (Paradise), though!!

But the question remains - why didn't she know how far along she was? Was she not getting any type of prenatal care? Or did her doctor give a bad estimate? Like everyone else has said, maybe being off by a week or two would be acceptable, but given that full term is 40 weeks and Carnival's cut off is 24, it's hard to believe that she honestly delivered 16 weeks early.

I know I will get flamed for this, but can we honestly believe that she didn't how far along she was? I am having a hard time swallowing that one. Just my opinion.

I would also be interested in knowing if the other 2000+ passengers cruise was cut short and/or a port missed because of this woman's irresponsibiity.

I know I will get flamed for this, but can we honestly believe that she didn't how far along she was? I am having a hard time swallowing that one. Just my opinion.

I would also be interested in knowing if the other 2000+ passengers cruise was cut short and/or a port missed because of this woman's irresponsibiity.

Can you? Sure. Do you choose to? Obviously you choose to believe she is lying. Your perogative, of course, but consider the fact that you don't know this woman personally and are going on third-hand information at best.

And no, a port was not missed. As reported by someone on the cruise, it was a sea day.

My husband and I just got off the Paradise yesterday. While on the ship we did the behind the fun tour, and had a chance to go on the bridge. While on the bridge with the captain, he said that the baby was born on the last sea day to a woman who was just over 8 months pregnant. Apparently, the woman did not know she was pregnant, at least that is what the captain told us, and that the birth was a surprise. The baby was named Cara Paradise.

I know a lady who is a nurse in the labor and delivery ward of a hospital. She started having stomach pain the one day and went home early from work cause she felt sick and nauseated. After a few hours it got even worse to the point she thought her appendix was bursting. She went to the hospital and SURPRISE she was in labor had a little boy. So anything is possible. From the article though and the dr's comments it seems that the lady said she was pregnant but that she didn't know her due date which doesn't make much sense I thought you had to get a doctors note?? Also it said she is a a native Hawaiian I think.

We 'snuck' on right at 26 weeks prego...with Dr permission..;) At the time the Mrs. was no bigger than the average buffet goer on the ship:D

I in NO WAY believe she didn't know she was preg. Carnival should charge her the cost of the extra port call.

I would say shame on the mother. It is clear the woman violated the cruise line policy and was well past 24 weeks of pregnancy.

I believe the woman should be sued in court and required to pay for the cost of the evacuation. Just think of the impact this horrid woman's decision to cruise had on thousands of people!

While I am glad mother and baby are fine, this is not a heart-warming event that should receive attention, like some would give it. I would rather see the cruise line make an example out of this reckless new mom.

WOW!! What a story!!! That could be me!! I am currently 12 weeks pregnant. My husband and I booked our 1st cruise back in Febuaray - then we found out we are having a baby in April. The due date is in December - the cruise is in Nov - we had to cancel the cruise because of the 24 weeks pregnant cutoff!!! My kid could have Valor in his/her ame!!. We got the full credit back for other cruise (have to be booked within 2 years) - we decided to take the baby with us!!! :)

It kinda is a bad thing for us because we were so excited about our first cruise... BUT at the same time.... We're excitied for the new addition to our family (Its our first kid). At least, we get to see the world through a baby's eyes. Anyone know if some shore excusions allows babies??? Just wondering!!!

The very first cruise I had booked, I had to cancel because I became pregnant. I don't even think I would have been anywhere near the cut-off date but I just thought it would be best not to risk being motion sick AND have morning sickness and ruin 7 days.

For me it was a great decision. :)

Unfortunately, it took 5 years to book another after that!!

Archived