Woman gives birth on 'Paradise'

jleq

LOL Do you see how little our youngest was (6 lb 3 oz at birth)? This is her at about a week old. My husband's hand can cover her entire body. No way that baby was a preemie.

DSC00724.jpg

Wow! That picture is huge! It's like life sized baby. Sorry about that :)

Yep, Iv seen lots of women on here who say they hardly show, enough they can still hide it, so they just dont declare it that they are pregnant. It could be someone who was further along and not showing enough to make them ask her if she was pregnant.

Or early?? I wouldnt think it would be crew, as they wouldnt be working that far along I wouldnt think?

wow to have that happen on your ship.... its still shocking.

My parents were on the NCL Pearl when a crew member gave birth (NYE cruise of 2009). The mother lied about her due date, it does happen :eek:

###

LOL Do you see how little our youngest was (6 lb 3 oz at birth)? This is her at about a week old. My husband's hand can cover her entire body. No way that baby was a preemie.

Wow! That picture is huge! It's like life sized baby. Sorry about that :)

kr8z - my first was 6# even and my second was 5# even both were 38 weeks which is considered full term. Just wondered if you faced same thing we did...people being afraid to hold her because she was so tiny?? I see pople with 8lb + babies and I think OMG even though I know that is the norm!

In the video, the nurse is carring the baby, no tubes, no oxygen, nothing.

This (to me, by common sense) says the baby was near full term, a baby under 24 weeks (the cruiseline 'cutoff date') does not have lungs developed enough to breath on its own, this happens closer to 34 or so weeks, babys very premature require special breathing assistance.

~things that make you go "Hmmmm"~

I agree 100%.

kr8z - my first was 6# even and my second was 5# even both were 38 weeks which is considered full term. Just wondered if you faced same thing we did...people being afraid to hold her because she was so tiny?? I see pople with 8lb + babies and I think OMG even though I know that is the norm!

No. Everyone wanted to touch her and hold her. She was so incredibly tiny to me though.

........you have seen it ......... "I didn't know I was pregnant" ...........and so it goes. Lighten up, folks. Baby is alive and hopefully healthy. Mother is alive. Let us put our judgments aside and get on w/ our own perfect lives!;)

Good answer. I don't know you but if I may, I'd like to offer my two cents. No you may not add your $0.02:rolleyes: The poster of the comment about the "idiot chick" is just as bad as the "idiot chick" gawking over the whole scene because there she was taking pictures of her getting onto the Coast Guard boat. I'm not judging...I'm just sayin'.

Gee I'm sorry if I offended anybody, but I thought that this was a news worthy event that you don't often hear/see about. I posted that picture to show what dumb things people will do on a cruise.

I guess that you couldn't see that my remark was sarcastic to her (as in a joke and the rolleyes smiley next to the comment). BTW - I knew it wasn't her as I have 'talked' with her on this cruise's thread.

I guess by your comment that 1/2 of the passengers were also just as bad as me for gawking and taking pictures. I guess you have never rubber necked at an accident on the street or highway, or watched the news when they show something bad happening. I would never have taken any pictures if the person was hurt or g-d forbid had died. This was a good thing.

On another note thunderbayboy - I hope you have a great cruise on the Spirit in Oct. I did the same itinerary last year and loved it and plan on taking the last Spirit sailing doing the same itinerary.

We have 4. Our oldest baked the longest. He was born at 38 weeks. # 2 was 36w4d #3 and 4 were 36w1d. They were all perfectly healthy between 6 lb 3oz - 7 lb 2 oz. That baby was every bit of 34-35 weeks though, if not a bit older. Either the mother did not know (I know it happens, but I cannot imagine), or she wasn't that big and lied about how far along she was. I certainly did not expect to have our last 3 a whole month early, but it happened. Thank God they were all perfect and had absolutely no complications.

LUCKY!

Mine baked for 41.5 weeks and I was absolutely miserable!!!!

By the size of the baby in the pic, I'm not buying she is that premature.

Who else beside me thinks that if she was more than 24 weeks she should have to pay for that coast guard rescue? To put that baby's life at risk :mad: so she could go on a cruise... there are no words (well, none I can use here).

Hopefully she had health insurance, public assistance or whatever because the bills will be phenomenal for this incident. There are just too many unknowns in this, but it happened to her and does happen often, just not always while on a ship! Regardless of the term of the baby or any medical emergency at sea that is not caused by the cruiseline, all passengers are responsible for their own medical expenses including evaculation if necessary.

My guess is that she is a "Teem Mom" that had not disclosed her pregnancy to her Mom.. I say this because earlier it was stated that the baby, mother & her mom were taken off by coast guard...

Every now and then I hear on the news that a teen has had a baby and no one knew she was pregnant so it can happen....

It states that the mom was 30 years old.

Looks like the Coast Guard turned the event into a public relations photo op. I wonder if they make the people they help sign a release?

What impact did the return to port have on the thousands of passengers on the ship? If the return towards port ended up adding mileage to the cruise I wonder if the new mother received a bill for the fuel required?

Although the baby looks big it could still be premature. I was almost 11 lbs when I was born. Had I been a few months premature I'd likely still have been several pounds! :D

My guess is that she (like most of us here) booked her cruise several months or even a year in advance. She probably wasn't planning on being pregnant when she booked, so she probably hid it when she checked in.

We booked our cruise about 6 weeks ago for December, and I had to think about that when I clicked the purchase button with the Early Saver price. We don't have kids now, but we've been talking about it.

One of the main reasons cruise lines have these rules is because they don't have the proper medical facilities on board to handle deliveries, especially if something goes wrong.

Judging by photo baby is 36-40 weeks. I had a friend who did not know she was pregnant until the week before delivery. Most women consider they may be pregnant if they miss a period but I had my period until I was 5 months pregnant. I thought I had the flu at first but had to have my medical (In forces at time) and the doctor doing pelvic discovered my little secret at 4 months.

My neighbor went hunting on the last two months of her pregnancy..shot a deer, which perhaps brought little ____ Orion (middle name) ___ into the world 2 months early..changed Alaskan grandparents plans...but they were able to navigate down to where we are in Mt. in their 5th wheel early...now I would not happen to think it is good karma to shoot anything when pregnant..but to each their own...I am sure they eat their game and do it legally...babies come when they come.

Thank God for the coast guard for all of our human foibles.

What impact did the return to port have on the thousands of passengers on the ship? If the return towards port ended up adding mileage to the cruise I wonder if the new mother received a bill for the fuel required?

There was no impact to the cruise as it was our sea day. Since we were coming from Ensenada, we were not that far from S.D. In fact, for some reason we got a $6 credit on our bill.

Does the coast guard charge u.s. citizens for the emergency evac? I don't think they charge for s&r so i'm not sure if they charge for this. maybe a perk of paying your taxes, the military helping a citizen in need. I would love to see what carnival charges for the delivery though. my sister had a simple bladder infection on a carnival cruise and it was $500.

Archived