Show us Your Aft!

Thanks for the hammock tips Jimbo! Just wondering, that blue area with the RC symbol below the balcony, I'm pretty sure thats the top of the dining room, but does anybody walk or hangout on that?

That area is actually on deck five (the blue area you refer to is in front of the balconies on deck 6 aft) and is the top of a crew area (recreation of some sort). When we had 7688 on a previous cruise, only saw a few people out there in the mornings - never heard any noise or commotion ;)

Edited by crookedhalo

Thanks for the hammock tips Jimbo! Just wondering, that blue area with the RC symbol below the balcony, I'm pretty sure thats the top of the dining room, but does anybody walk or hangout on that?

There is a crew area around the perimeter on deck five in the rear. We had 7388 on our first cruise on Adventure. We saw some crew members back their on their phones or smoking but they were always quiet. On Liberty a few years ago I saw the occupants of the Royal Suite walk across the blue area to the back railing. They were strongly chastised and didn't venture back there again.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aft lovers;)

I have these two cabins on hold for 2015 for a HS graduation cruise. We need a cabin for 3...I'm having trouble reading the deck plans because they show an asterisk (which indicates a pullman) but they also have a weird shadowed box icon. Its not a triangle icon (meaning just sofa bed) but it doesn't really look like a diamond to me (which indicates sofa bed AND pullman)

SO looking for anyone with experience in these corner afts on Freedom class and Voyager class to let me know 1) is it JUST pullman or 2) Pullmand AND sofa bed.

Either way we are sailing in these cool corner afts:p...DD sleeps on the floor half the time at home anyway...I think she's too big for the pullman (almost 6 ft tall!) But I'd like to prep her for whatever we find;)

Indy 7708: Sofa and or Pullman?

Adventure 7688: Sofa and or Pullman?

TIA for your wisdom!!

For reference here is the deck plan

id_deck07_v2013_apr.gif

Hi Aft lovers;)

I have these two cabins on hold for 2015 for a HS graduation cruise. We need a cabin for 3...I'm having trouble reading the deck plans because they show an asterisk (which indicates a pullman) but they also have a weird shadowed box icon. Its not a triangle icon (meaning just sofa bed) but it doesn't really look like a diamond to me (which indicates sofa bed AND pullman)

SO looking for anyone with experience in these corner afts on Freedom class and Voyager class to let me know 1) is it JUST pullman or 2) Pullmand AND sofa bed.

Either way we are sailing in these cool corner afts:p...DD sleeps on the floor half the time at home anyway...I think she's too big for the pullman (almost 6 ft tall!) But I'd like to prep her for whatever we find;)

TIA for your wisdom!!

id_deck07_v2013_apr.gif

7688 on the Explorer had a pulman bed. I kept thinking I would have loved to have had a third person to enjoy that balcony with us.

Gwen :)

Hi Aft lovers;)

TIA for your wisdom!!

id_deck07_v2013_apr.gif

This is the same cabin as 7408 on starboard side. Lots of YouTube videos out there as well as several pictures posted on this thread. It has a Pullman and a love seat. The Pullman is at the head of the beds below, not on the side, as depicted by pictures on this thread. Happy sailings!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks! SO it sounds like pullman only for both...well, she will ahve to deal:p I'm not giving up that balcony...and she's thrilled about it too! She honestly does sleep on the floor of her room several nights a week, so she really wont care. But I don't think she will fit on either the love seat and no way will she want to crawl over us at night to get to the pullman!:eek:

Does anyone have any clue what that weird box on the deck plan means?:confused:

Here are pictures of Corner After Balcony 8390 on Navigator of the Seas. We just returned from the first cruise after dry dock so all the upholstery, carpet & drapes are new. The only negative to me was the single door with a half window instead of a double sliding balcony door, but I got used to it. The outside views from the balcony made it worthwhile:

image_zps557a8c2a.jpg

image_zps279d878a.jpg

image_zps1424504d.jpg

Balcony:

IMG_0480_zps4b4ef8fd.jpg

IMG_0481_zps49b6631c.jpg

Edited by ace1zoe2

And here's the Royal Family Suite (two bedroom) on Deck 9 center aft which was featured on our Cabin Crawl on the first cruise after dry dock of the Navigator of the Seas. The girls staying in the cabin loved the inside and the balcony size. Their only complaint was that there was no overhang on the balcony so NONE of it is covered. Therefore, no shade, when it rains everything gets wet and worse - all the balconies above look right on to your entire balcony - no privacy at all.

I will have to post in two posts since I can only post 6 pics at a time:

Living Room:

IMG_0524_zps436e5ee6.jpg

Bedroom #1:

IMG_0522_zps96d4271a.jpg

IMG_0523_zps7d073061.jpg

Bathroom #1 with shower:

IMG_0521_zps70f9bf90.jpg

Bedroom #2

IMG_0517_zps50883f1d.jpg

IMG_0520_zps3d1106e0.jpg

:confused: A little confused. I booked cabin #8352 on NAVIGATOR of the seas for my Nov. 2014 trip. It's a superior D2. Some websites read that it is 202 sq. ft. with a 50 sq. ft. balcony. The info I received from RCI reads that it is 199 sq. ft with a 65 sq. ft balcony. Can anyone tell me what size of balcony it really has?:)

:confused: A little confused. I booked cabin #8352 on NAVIGATOR of the seas for my Nov. 2014 trip. It's a superior D2. Some websites read that it is 202 sq. ft. with a 50 sq. ft. balcony. The info I received from RCI reads that it is 199 sq. ft with a 65 sq. ft balcony. Can anyone tell me what size of balcony it really has?:)

Probably not;) I don't mean to be glib, but the information on the website and various other "official" sources (brochures etc) is rarely consistent. For instance the website says a D1 balcony on Oasis and Allure has a smaller sq footage than the other D balconies, and yet it cost significantly more:eek: In reality, the balcony is actually LARGER:rolleyes: (makes you wonder why anyone would book it...and yet, they've never fixed despite the fact that it would be in their best interest to do so)

In your situation, the size differences you are seeing are barely noticeable to the naked eye. Although 15 sq feet would be some additional space, the cabin you are looking at has a standard sized balcony, the same as every other D2 balcony on NOS. The only ones that are significantly larger are the true aft balconies (oriented to the rear) and some of the hump balconies. (and both of those are almost never listed officially with the actual size, no one measures and puts it on the website, so its just listed as the standard for that category, even if it is larger) The others are all a standard size with just enough room for a 2 upright chairs and a small table.

Im sorry there is not "definitive" source for cabin and balcony sizes, but what you will see printed in different spots will vary, usually by insignificant amounts. People who do some research, like looking at these aft threads and hump threads, are "in the know" and have seen photos of the actual balconies to recognize which ones are actually larger and better furnished. Hope that helps, even if it doesn't solve the mystery of your cabin size:D!!

Probably not;) I don't mean to be glib, but the information on the website and various other "official" sources (brochures etc) is rarely consistent. For instance the website says a D1 balcony on Oasis and Allure has a smaller sq footage than the other D balconies, and yet it cost significantly more:eek: In reality, the balcony is actually LARGER:rolleyes: (makes you wonder why anyone would book it...and yet, they've never fixed despite the fact that it would be in their best interest to do so)

In your situation, the size differences you are seeing are barely noticeable to the naked eye. Although 15 sq feet would be some additional space, the cabin you are looking at has a standard sized balcony, the same as every other D2 balcony on NOS. The only ones that are significantly larger are the true aft balconies (oriented to the rear) and some of the hump balconies. (and both of those are almost never listed officially with the actual size, no one measures and puts it on the website, so its just listed as the standard for that category, even if it is larger) The others are all a standard size with just enough room for a 2 upright chairs and a small table.

Im sorry there is not "definitive" source for cabin and balcony sizes, but what you will see printed in different spots will vary, usually by insignificant amounts. People who do some research, like looking at these aft threads and hump threads, are "in the know" and have seen photos of the actual balconies to recognize which ones are actually larger and better furnished. Hope that helps, even if it doesn't solve the mystery of your cabin size:D!!

Thanks for the response. I was just curious as to why they have different sizes listed. This will be our first cruise, and hubby wouldn't book if I didn't get a balcony. I'm just happy that he said yes to a cruise. Looking forward to it, and so appreciative of the information I've acquired on these message boards.

Thanks for the response. I was just curious as to why they have different sizes listed. This will be our first cruise, and hubby wouldn't book if I didn't get a balcony. I'm just happy that he said yes to a cruise. Looking forward to it, and so appreciative of the information I've acquired on these message boards.

Well, thats the answer, they just aren't on top of it, sadly! Any sarcasm is directed at the cruise line, not the unsuspecting customer like yourself!! I think you and DH will love cruising, any balcony is great! Have a great cruise!:D

Thanks! SO it sounds like pullman only for both...well, she will ahve to deal:p I'm not giving up that balcony...and she's thrilled about it too! She honestly does sleep on the floor of her room several nights a week, so she really wont care. But I don't think she will fit on either the love seat and no way will she want to crawl over us at night to get to the pullman!:eek:

Does anyone have any clue what that weird box on the deck plan means?:confused:

The little box means it is an obstructed view... And just so you do not have to scroll through for a picture, here is 7408 on FOS. We have 7708 on IOS in a month, so I will bring back some real pics of your cabin :)

0d650fbdfa9c0320a63ebfa5959ab08f_zpse59554f5.jpg

The little box means it is an obstructed view... And just so you do not have to scroll through for a picture, here is 7408 on FOS. We have 7708 on IOS in a month, so I will bring back some real pics of your cabin :)

Awesome!! I always wondered what that meant...it's so funny that they consider that "obstructed"; I guess because its "coved", but that's what I love about them!! Like my own little hideaway!

From your photo, I can see there is a little ladder. I assume the attendant sets that up each night. At the very least the ladder will be on DH's side of the bed, so she won't disturb me climbing up and down:p If she fits, she might thinks its kind of fun!

I look forward to your photos when you return next month!! We certainly have a long wait...we booked 2015;)

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this month when the 2015 Alaska cruises opened we booked Jewel for August 28th. When I searched all the aft balconies were gone so we got an E-3 7594 on the hump.

Imagine my surprise when I checked today and found all the aft balconies open. We quickly grabbed up 9256, a nice corner cabin.

I figured out why I could not find any the first time I looked. I searched for the cabins as E-2 which is what they are now.

12828403783_2135a77146_z.jpg

But for the 2015 cruise, the cabins are D-1s.

12828753934_ca5bbfac87_z.jpg

Glad I figured it out, I am looking forward to 9256. :D

PC- I just noticed this myself yesterday while checking into Jewel re-positioning cruise returning from LA to SJ via the Panama Canal on Oct 10 2015...they are onto us,:( and have raised the category on many of the aft balconies. Also, on ships like Voyager and Freedom class which have the pullman beds for a 3rd person; there have been reports that they have been restricted to parties booking 3 people (heard you can't book them for just 2). I can't confirm that, since I didn't try to book those ships for 2, but I DID book both Adventure and Independence aft balconies for 3 people (My DD's graduation) and I had NO trouble finding aft cabins on those ships. I was shocked to see that they were still available:eek: So I think that the rumor may be true that some aft cabins that fit 3-4 will not be "bookable" by 2 persons in 2015:(

It seems that it will be harder and more expensive to get aft balconies going forward. We like them because of the relative value, and for the lounge chairs on the balconies which allow us to avoid the overcrowded pool and sun decks, but if we can't book them, I will pay more to go to a smaller ship/line with less crowds and a better experience on the sun decks, rather than pay more and be stuck with a bad pool experience on Royal. :D

I'll be putting my Enchantment aft pictures next week! We had a perfect week, and the balcony was huge.

Edited by Familygoboston

Is the aft category change specific to the Jewel? I think the last 2 aft cabins I booked on the radiance class (Brilliance and Serenade) were D1 category. I was looking at the Alaska cruises on Radiance and they are D1 as well. Did these ships originally offer the afts as E3? Just curious to know.

Dolfans from Miami

PC- I just noticed this myself yesterday while checking into Jewel re-positioning cruise returning from LA to SJ via the Panama Canal on Oct 10 2015...they are onto us,:( and have raised the category on many of the aft balconies. Also, on ships like Voyager and Freedom class which have the pullman beds for a 3rd person; there have been reports that they have been restricted to parties booking 3 people (heard you can't book them for just 2). I can't confirm that, since I didn't try to book those ships for 2, but I DID book both Adventure and Independence aft balconies for 3 people (My DD's graduation) and I had NO trouble finding aft cabins on those ships. I was shocked to see that they were still available:eek: So I think that the rumor may be true that some aft cabins that fit 3-4 will not be "bookable" by 2 persons in 2015:(

It seems that it will be harder and more expensive to get aft balconies going forward. We like them because of the relative value, and for the lounge chairs on the balconies which allow us to avoid the overcrowded pool and sun decks, but if we can't book them, I will pay more to go to a smaller ship/line with less crowds and a better experience on the sun decks, rather than pay more and be stuck with a bad pool experience on Royal. :D

I'll be putting my Enchantment aft pictures next week! We had a perfect week, and the balcony was huge.

Supply and demand, we have to quit avertising how much we like those aft cabins. :p

EVERYONE, STAY AWAY. THOSE AFT CABINS ARE TERRIBLE AND THEY ARE HAUNTED TOO. :eek:

query for Aft Lovers...

we currently have 7388 (an E1) corner booked for early 2015...DD is a big kid (nearly 6 feet tall at 17) and the pullman is a slightly awkward arrangement. Today there was a big price drop (some kind of family discount that dropped the first 2 people about 40 bucks each but the 3rd was $110 less) and I called to get it applied and did (yeah for me!:D) . Interestingly, the D1 corner 1388 was open and priced just a few dollars more (the first 2 in the cabin were significantly less, but the 3rd was not the "family discount" so the over all cost put both cabins within 30 dollars. I courtesy held 1388 and am trying to decide if we should make the move?? Here are my pros and cons...any thoughts?? Anyone been on both?? I'd love to hear from you!

7388:

cabin looks small for 3

pullman is awkward

balcony is awesomely huge and has the cool "port hole"

cabin is sandwiched between cabins above and below

1388:

cabin looks "wider" for 3

sofa bed available

balcony looks smaller and darker

cabin is under the Windjammer

Let me know what you think...I have to pull the trigger by tomorrow before 5. I'm still keeping my eyes out for the JS on the aft...but the price is still $68 more pp per day...thats still $1400 + (= another cruise in my book ;))