Show us Your Aft!

Corner aft cabin # 7688 on the Explorer. Just came off the ship on Sunday Dec. 22. I loved this cabin and the large balcony. I even put up battery operated Christmas lights on the porthole of the balcony.

Gwen :)

2013-12-17123239.jpg

2013-12-21164951.jpg

2013-12-14054614.jpg

Gwen, how does the cabin compare in size to a D1 stateroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have an Aft Jr. Suite on my upcoming cruise. I had an Aft on a Carnival cruise and loved it so I was so happy to get not only a Jr. Suite but its an Aft. I will post pictures when we get back. I'm sure I'll take a ton of pictures of the wake, its so beautiful back there.

query for Aft Lovers...

we currently have 7388 (an E1) corner booked for early 2015...DD is a big kid (nearly 6 feet tall at 17) and the pullman is a slightly awkward arrangement. Today there was a big price drop (some kind of family discount that dropped the first 2 people about 40 bucks each but the 3rd was $110 less) and I called to get it applied and did (yeah for me!:D) . Interestingly, the D1 corner 1388 was open and priced just a few dollars more (the first 2 in the cabin were significantly less, but the 3rd was not the "family discount" so the over all cost put both cabins within 30 dollars. I courtesy held 1388 and am trying to decide if we should make the move?? Here are my pros and cons...any thoughts?? Anyone been on both?? I'd love to hear from you!

7388:

cabin looks small for 3

pullman is awkward

balcony is awesomely huge and has the cool "port hole"

cabin is sandwiched between cabins above and below

1388:

cabin looks "wider" for 3

sofa bed available

balcony looks smaller and darker

cabin is under the Windjammer

Let me know what you think...I have to pull the trigger by tomorrow before 5. I'm still keeping my eyes out for the JS on the aft...but the price is still $68 more pp per day...thats still $1400 + (= another cruise in my book ;))

Go with 1388, you will love it. We had 1388 on Mariner OTS and its the size of a JS and has a large, partially covered balcony. Your DD will like the sofa bed much better than a pullman.

Go with 1388, you will love it. We had 1388 on Mariner OTS and its the size of a JS and has a large, partially covered balcony. Your DD will like the sofa bed much better than a pullman.

Agreed 1,000%.

Gwen, how does the cabin compare in size to a D1 stateroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It is an E-1 cabin, so I think a little smaller than a D-1. I didn't mind the size of the cabin at all. We almost always do an inside. I got the cabin for the balcony alone, and I was extremely happy with it. I spent more time on the balcony than the cabin anyway. I am glad I got to experience that cabin before the change in categories takes place.:D

If you get this cabin, you will not be disappointed, unless cabin space is more important.

Thanks! I'll share that with the family...that's the info I was looking for, if the cabin was much larger (and therefore maybe more comfy for 3), would it be worth the tradeoff for the smaller balcony. So it sounds like neither of you had any issues with WJ noise from above?

It is an E-1 cabin, so I think a little smaller than a D-1. I didn't mind the size of the cabin at all. We almost always do an inside. I got the cabin for the balcony alone, and I was extremely happy with it. I spent more time on the balcony than the cabin anyway. I am glad I got to experience that cabin before the change in categories takes place.:D

If you get this cabin, you will not be disappointed, unless cabin space is more important.

Thanks Gwen. Actually, when I showed the family pics of both cabins last night- even DD, who is the one stuck on the pullman, said she'd prefer the larger balcony. So I'm going to share your responses and see if anyone changes their minds. I showed them photos of both last night. Honestly, we don't spend much time in the cabin.

I think if I scored either of these cabins we'd be thrilled...so really its really just a choosing between two great options:D

Thanks Gwen. Actually, when I showed the family pics of both cabins last night- even DD, who is the one stuck on the pullman, said she'd prefer the larger balcony. So I'm going to share your responses and see if anyone changes their minds. I showed them photos of both last night. Honestly, we don't spend much time in the cabin.

I think if I scored either of these cabins we'd be thrilled...so really its really just a choosing between two great options:D

You could always hang a hammock on that balcony(others have done that) and someone could sleep there.......:p What I liked most was that the balcony was completely covered and unless it rains sideways, you can still enjoy the balcony.

I am sure whatever decision you make, you will be happy with it.

Enchantment 8172 Junior Suite

154695875.jpg

The location was at the end of deck 8, there is jog in the hallway, so it was very quiet and private back there. These are Jr Suites, and there is a Family Suite on each corner. We heard laughing and talking from the families in the hallway occasionally from the large suites, but since we were not directly next to them, we rarely heard or noticed them.

We sailed a perfect week in February...here are a few photos. We found the cabin to be in excellent repair; the furnishings were very new and modern looking. We were on the balcony constantly (breakfast, afternoons, sail aways and some evenings) and I was shocked at how few folks were using their aft balconies. With them being so sought after, you would think more folks would spend more time on them. We rarely saw anyone on the JR suite balconies or FS balconies on our level, we saw a few people on the balconies below us occasionally.

This cabin is below the Fitness Center and Spa...I have photos in the next couple of posts, but we heard nothing from above at all, and as you'll see in the photos, it appeared the space was used as classroom/treatment rooms.

Unlike Jewel Aft, we noticed almost no sound related to the engine, except for docking. It was often hard to tell if we were underway at all! One odd thing was that the AC "cycled" a bit and was not continuous white noise. It didn't go on then off, but rather seemed to be on a high level then would cycle to a lower fan level. It was noticeable when trying to fall asleep, but not bothersome to us, but if you are very sensitive, you might notice it.

View from door:

154695671.jpg

Desk:

154695672.jpg

Beds and pullout couch:

154695673.jpg

We found this cabin to have loads of storage space in the cabin- we didn't use half the cubbies and drawers even with 3 people.

Closet:

154695669.jpg

154695670.jpg

Enchantment JS 8172

Long view of storage and counter areas:

154695709.jpg

more storage and safe:

154695674.jpg

coffee area and shelves (there is the same shelf also on left side of the mirror)

154695675.jpg

Chair and balcony door:

154695676.jpg

Bath:

154695666.jpg

One nit pick, is that for such a large (comparatively) bath, there is no counter space. We removed the toiletries, and put them in a drawer. But there were 4 distinct shelves as well as a couple of shallow drawers below, so plenty of space near the counter. There is also a shelf below the sink with the extra tissues, trash and cleaning brush, so we preferred not to use that shelf.

154695667.jpg

Enchantment 8172 Junior Suite

Views from the Balcony

looking down:

154695690.jpg

154695679.jpg

8172 from pier:

154695829.jpg

Key: Right below the spa (glass windows) 8166 is the Family Suite on the starboard corner, (left side in this pic) 8170 to the right of that, then 8172 is the one to the far right of this picture. Below deck 8 are JS cabins 7166, 7168, 7170, 7172. Below deck 7 is the Spotlight Lounge. We did hear music from the Spotlight lounge while on our balcony at night, but no sound inside the cabin when the balcony door was closed.

whats above:

154695942.jpg

the spa area above the cabin:

154695941.jpg

Finally, book at your own peril...you may be spoiled forever with this view:

154695945.jpg

Enchanment Aft Cabins

154695828.jpg

and I should have included this...the couch pulls out to be a double OR they pull the arms and back off of it to make a single, which takes up much less room, this is the "single" arrangement :D

(and yes, there is a teen under there :rolleyes:, she is 5 10 and fit just fine!

154695717.jpg

Enchantment of the Seas Junior Suite #7672

Cruisnangie- did you notice any noise from the Spotlight lounge below inside the cabin? The music was pretty loud on our balcony on deck 7 and I can't imagine how they could sound proof the rooms directly above?

BTW- the family decided to go with the bigger balcony on Adventure 7688 and cool port hole on the balcony, so we let the hold on the larger cabin 1388 lapse. DD who often sleeps on the floor , even at home, says she would rather do that if the pullman isn't comfortable, than give up the balcony with the neat port hole!

Edited by Familygoboston

Cruisnangie- did you notice any noise from the Spotlight lounge below inside the cabin? The music was pretty loud on our balcony on deck 7 and I can't imagine how they could sound proof the rooms directly above?

FamilyGoBoston - We weren't in the cabin most nights until early in the morning :D ... Sunday night we went to bed early (we have to go to work on Monday) and that is the night of the QUEST and you could most definitely hear the music and feel the base. We have done the corner cabin #7166 and we never heard any noises in that cabin. (I wish I would have remembered to take photos of that cabin :o )

FamilyGoBoston - We weren't in the cabin most nights until early in the morning :D ... Sunday night we went to bed early (we have to go to work on Monday) and that is the night of the QUEST and you could most definitely hear the music and feel the base. We have done the corner cabin #7166 and we never heard any noises in that cabin. (I wish I would have remembered to take photos of that cabin :o )

I made the right choice then- mom was in bed by 9 most nights and is a light sleeper. We heard no noise in 8172 just one deck up when in the cabin.

Talk about depressing- disembarking and driving directly to work:(

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone sailed in an aft cabin on deck 7 of the Vision?

I just got the [happy] surprise this morning that we were upgraded from an oceanview on deck 3, to an aft balcony on deck 7! I'm ecstatic! :)

I've spent a couple hours on cruise critic today, but haven't really seen many pics from the Vision!

Has anyone sailed in an aft cabin on deck 7 of the Vision? I just got the [happy] surprise this morning that we were upgraded from an oceanview on deck 3, to an aft balcony on deck 7! I'm ecstatic! :)

An OV on deck 3 to an aft balcony?!?!?!?!? WOW! Here's the view you're going to have:

8588sunset_zps91294610.jpg

8588Cartagena_zpsbda95651.jpg

DSC05357_zpsd6ed811f.jpg

DSC05359_zpsbd5563e2.jpg

Note there are two rows of aft balconies. Deck 7 is the lower row above the glass (that's "Some Enchanted Evening Lounge"). From left to right the cabins are 7152, 54, 56, 58, 7660 dead centre, 7658, 56, 54, 52. My view photos above are from deck 8 cabin 8588 the farthest right, immediately above 7652. Which cabin did you get? And is this upgrade for your upcoming Spanish Immersion cruise?

Has anyone sailed in an aft cabin on deck 7 of the Vision?

I just got the [happy] surprise this morning that we were upgraded from an oceanview on deck 3, to an aft balcony on deck 7! I'm ecstatic! :)

I've spent a couple hours on cruise critic today, but haven't really seen many pics from the Vision!

Is it a corner cabin on deck 7, is it on the starboard( right looking forward) corner or port(left looking forward) corner? It makes a difference.........