Bed Bugs on Holland America at all?

Webster1

I'm the same.... I can deal very nicely with anything that has 4 legs or fewer.

Once we get to 6 legs or more, no thanks!... and if they crunch, I shudder just thinking about it!

I always laugh that here in Florida they call em "Palmetto bugs", but they are just plain ol' roaches as far as I'm concerned... well, except they are a whole lot bigger and can fly....ick

We consider pest control one more expense, like mortgage and utilities... I want no creepy crawlies in my house!

Ewwwww, I'm not looking to my week post-cruise in Florida now....I have a bit of a roach phoabia.

After finding one on my bed in a very upmarket hotel room in Thailand, we moved rooms and I still had to drink half the contents of the mini- bar to get to sleep!

We were on a 35 day trip on the Maasdam and not one. Also stayed in the Westin Hotel in Boston for a night before and after, nothing there either.

In Toronto there is a problem but mainly in the downtown area but unfortunately, our local hospital has that problem. Best stay out of there.

Yes, I have heard that it is due to the banning of DDT.

They are really very clean on Holland America ships. Always cleaning and scrubbing.

I stayed in a downmarket motel in Bellingham, Washington, some months ago, and did not encounter any bedbugs. Same thing for a Best Western in Lakewood, Washington last year.

My mother always inspected the mattresses where we stayed when I was growing up, and I often do the same.

In Eastern Europe, ten years ago, I slept in some somewhat sketchy-looking places, as well as two overnight trains, but no bedbugs.

I think they are like flies or mosquitoes - you don't know when you'll encounter them.

I found this website, www.usbedbugs.com . I am going to order a few items from them. When staying in the hotel before our cruise I will put our luggage in plastic bags and also all our clothes will be packed in their plastic bags. I tend to overkill on things like this but I'll do whatever. Now don't laugh, but I also bought a blacklight. We stayed in two hotels this past week and I checked the beds, etc., no bedbugs. Will leave luggage in garage after coming home and unpack and wash clothes right away. I will not stop traveling but I'll do what I can to prevent.

There is one thing for certain, the bed bugs on HAL will be premium bed bugs, not those awful mass market bed bugs that can be found on those other cruise lines.

:D:D:D:D

Maybe, but I hear the ones on Crystal wear tuxedos.

Now here's a problem.

About 10-15 years ago the media were touting the "Year of the Shark" and convinced me never to go near salt water.

Now in the "Year of the Bedbug" they've convinced me not to go to bed.

My life is really being circumscribed and it looks like ocean cruising is a really bad bet.

What about these little critters? Which live in MOST beds already..

"It is estimated that there are up to 2 million house dust mites living in a mattress and in an average pillow, 10% of its weight is made up of dead skin and dust mites."

Mites.jpg.8cfc62f5b1f0d66f51bd174064963c85.jpg

I had a run in with the little buggers at a 5* hotel and can tell you it was a nightmare. Bedbugs don't discriminate and can be found on any cruise line, at any hotel chain, on any airline, it has nothing to do with cleanliness or not. You could ask Holland America what sort of awareness programs and inspection protocols their housekeeping staff follow. I've even heard of hotels that reward staff for finding infestations (I guess this could have a negative effect as they might be inclined to introduce the problem to get rewarded!).

Even if there have been no reports of bedbugs in the past, it takes just one traveller to bring them on board. The best advice I can think of is to make yourself aware of what to look for and take sensible precautions. Google how to check for bedbugs and prevent bringing them home with you if you do encounter them. There are some good videos that show how to inspect a hotel room ... the same thing applies to a cruise cabin. GOIN2C has posted good advice on another thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1259666&page=4&highlight=goin2c). The only thing I would do differently is not use the luggage rack. Keep your suitcase in a contractor bag or XXL ziploc. I use so many ziplocs of all sizes now when I travel that I'm thinking of investing in S. C. Johnson and Son. ;)

I'm cruising on HAL as well ... haven't seen any reports but remember anything is possible and knowledge is power!

My DW won a free hotel stay for 3 nights at a luxurious Atlantic City hotel .It was infested with beg bugs . The Manager offered to clean the room or give another room ,she opted for the latter and was given cash as well to cover meals and travel expenses .

Good Morning America had a segment on the infestation of bed bugs in New York City. They are everywhere. Niketown is closed down to exterminate.

There is a convention specifically for addressing the problem of bed bugs.

http://www.examiner.com/us-headlines-in-national/north-american-bed-bug-summit-conference-sells-out-as-bed-bugs-sweep-the-nation

Edited by bobalink
Added website information

• 3 weeks later...
Eeeek :eek:

There is a report on Trip Advisor of bed bugs at the Hyatt Place North Fort Lauderdale. We are staying there pre-cruise next week, as are lots of other HAL passengers :mad:

We are staying at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Airport South. I keep checking the bed bug registry and so far no bugs. Hope they get them gone by the time you get there.

Edited by Pokeynose
wrong web site

We are staying at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Airport South. I keep checking the bed bug registry and so far no bugs. Hope they get them gone by the time you get there.

The Hyatt Place North is on the registry either I just saw it on Tripadvisor, but maybe it will be soon.

NYC does have an infestation of bedbugs, but unfortunately they are being found all over the country, and as mentioned before, it only takes one person who has them in their clothing or suitcase to bring them to a 5*hotel, a restaurant, a movie theater or a ship. They can live in any chair that has material on it too.The question in my mind is if you find them on the ship in your cabin, then what?

Edited by mamaofami